Hair loss began at age 16? :'(

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just recently made an account on here so i'm not so sure exactly how to post questions but here goes. -

I began to notice some major hair loss at the age of 16. I went to a dermatologist and she diagnosed me with MPD. She prescribed me 1mg of propecia and I have been taking that along with 5% minoxidil for about 8 months now. I'm currently 17. Hair loss has slowed down significantly, some minor regrowth in the temples, still losing some hair though. The hair that I do have is very long, shoulder, length, so its hard for someone to notice my balding at first glance. I also researched that ketoconazole helps with hair loss and I have been using that also.

My questions-

I'm worried about the hair that is continuing to fall out. Would a switch from finasteride to dutasteride help at all? Would there be a shedding phase?

Has anyone jumped from 5% minoxidil to a higher concentration, such as 10% or 15%? Would I go through another shedding phase?

I'm scheduled for a PRP treatment in about 1 week. Will this help prevent further loss and thicken what I have?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any pictures? It must be pretty bad if the derm gave you propecia at 16 that is pretty young. I believe their is another 17 year old on here who switched to dutasteride, you could ask him or someone else with more experience. I say give it at least 4 more months so till you hit the 1 year mark, evaluate and decide to continue or switch to stronger regiment.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, at the beginning the hair loss was very aggressive. How would I be able to contact the 17 year old you speak of? I'll post pics tomorrow.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ah i was mistaken he is 19, but still that might be the closest to your age of someone trying dutasteride.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...Eightballds-hair-log-19-years-old-Norwood-2-3

hair_nag

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are under 18 you shouldn't be using finasteride or dutasteride at all! Your body is still maturing and you need the hormones.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, there is no force in heaven or hell that could stop me from taking this finasteride. I would probably be 90% bald by now if I hadn't taken it. My sex drive has remained unchanged, and there are no other side effects for me whatsoever.

jsmith123

Reaction score
Hey man, just want you to know your not the only one in this cursed boat, I'm 5 months off of my 18th birthday and have been on finasteride and nizoral for exactly one year this month (started it when i was like 16 and 7 months or something), my hairloss must have started a few months after turning 16 and it was full on aggressive, 1.25mg finasteride every day and nizoral 2% 2 x a week has pretty much kept my hair, however especially in the last few months it has definitely gotten maybe 5-10% more thin, dunno if thats a temporary shed or if its just the finasteride losing effectiveness (afterall we are hit with something most people dont have to worry about until their late 20s) so we are the extreme minority. If it puts your mind at ease or if you have any worries about finasteride, go see an endocrinologist and have them assess you and see if it is indeed fine for you to be taking finasteride and if you have fully physically matured regardless of your age, don't go by what someone says on the internet.

hair_nag

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, there is no force in heaven or hell that could stop me from taking this finasteride. I would probably be 90% bald by now if I hadn't taken it. My sex drive has remained unchanged, and there are no other side effects for me whatsoever.

Being bald is better than getting some serious condition like infertility!

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion if you are still losing hair on finasteride then dutasteride is the next logical step. It is far better at blocking DHT and from what I can tell it's damn near impossible to lose hair as a result of DHT while on dutasteride unless you are just insanely sensitive to losing hair.

you may be able to add RU58841 but if you're on dutasteride i see no reason to for the purpose of halting your loss. its worth considering if you want regrowth but very little is known about RU58841 tbh, i think you will be fine on dutasteride/minoxidil/keto.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like I said, I have been using finasteride for about 8 months now and I have experienced no sexual side effects. My sex drive is as high as ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree but i'm very scared about the shedding phase that might come from switching to dutasteride. On top of that, I might just see with the PRP treatment can do for me. Maybe I wont have to switch.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man. Glad to know there is AT least 1 guy at there my age having this problem, even if we are in the extreme minority. I'm not worried about the finasteride, I have had no sexual side effects thus far. I'm seriously considering switching to Dutasteride, but i'm not sure exactly where to get it and I'm worried about the shedding phase that may follow. I asked a few dermatologists and they seem to have no idea what i'm talking about with dutasteride. My birthday is in July as well and let me ask you this: Do you ever feel the "why at this age" feeling at all? I wouldn't mind this **** happening in my forties, or even my late thirties, but starting at 16? I hated my life for quite a while. I'm going for PRP treatment in 5 days though, so I still have a little hope left in me.

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is your hair now? Do you have before/after pics?

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I have been using finasteride for about 8 months now and I have experienced no sexual side effects. My sex drive is as high as ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree but i'm very scared about the shedding phase that might come from switching to dutasteride. On top of that, I might just see with the PRP treatment can do for me. Maybe I wont have to switch.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man. Glad to know there is AT least 1 guy at there my age having this problem, even if we are in the extreme minority. I'm not worried about the finasteride, I have had no sexual side effects thus far. I'm seriously considering switching to Dutasteride, but i'm not sure exactly where to get it and I'm worried about the shedding phase that may follow. I asked a few dermatologists and they seem to have no idea what i'm talking about with dutasteride. My birthday is in July as well and let me ask you this: Do you ever feel the "why at this age" feeling at all? I wouldn't mind this **** happening in my forties, or even my late thirties, but starting at 16? I hated my life for quite a while. I'm going for PRP treatment in 5 days though, so I still have a little hope left in me.

If you have agressive hairloss at 16 finasteride wont save you to be honest. Your taking it too young too. You will end up a bald 20yo with erectile dysfunction and under developed body..

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have agressive hairloss at 16 finasteride wont save you to be honest. Your taking it too young too. You will end up a bald 20yo with erectile dysfunction and under developed body..

Actually, I'm 20 now, I still have most of my hair, and my sex drive is still high and I'm fully developed.

Thanks for your dose of fear mongering though. Thank god I didn't listen to guys like you when I started.

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride at 16 is way too young indeed, nothing more to say

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is your hair now? Do you have before/after pics?

Thinking about taking topical spironolactone, the S5 plus that they have here. Mind answering the dutasteride question I posted yesterday?

Attachments

• 20171118_025952.jpg
    20171118_025952.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 20171116_031009.jpg
    20171116_031009.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 286

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Saved most of my hair, I'm 20 now.

Sure it saves your hair, i began finasteride at 18, my hairloss began at 16
Why finasteride is not recommended before 18 ? because it can stops puberty development, especially male sex characteristic

J0shua

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me it didn't.
Was it difficult seeing a doctor about this? I've tried telemedicine but most don't offer finasteride. Started when I was 16 and am now 18 but I don't want to go through the awkwardness if a doctor isn't going to prescribe it.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm 20 now, I still have most of my hair, and my sex drive is still high and I'm fully developed.

Thanks for your dose of fear mongering though. Thank god I didn't listen to guys like you when I started.

I support finasteride use. Just not before 18. It may not have affected you adversely but it can do to some ysing it too young.