Hair Loss at a Young Age

G

Hello, I'm a nineteen year old college student and over the past year and a half or so, my hair has gotten noticably thinner. I haven't noticed a great deal of shedding, but it now takes about four twists of a ponytail holder to keep things in place, whereas before it took only two. Furthermore I can see a great deal of my scalp exposed at the place where my hair parts, whereas I could not earlier.

While I am scheduled to see an endochronologist (hypothyroidism might be a factor), I'm rather nervous about whether or not I will be able to regrow, or even retain my hair in the future, and I am curious if anyone knows how often female hair loss occurs in someone very young without genetics coming into play, as it is my understanding that something such as a hormonal imbalance or vitamin deficincy might be easier to recover from.

G

Hair loss

Okay Gals....
It is possible that stress could be a factor in the loss of hair. I too have been losing hair since I was 19 and I am now 24. However, it is now growing a lot faster than it used to and I am losing less hair. I have started taking essential fatty acids (flax seed oil, fish oil) as well as primrose oil which helps with hormonal balance. I have also been taking grape seed extract which is an antioxidant (keeps you young)- it has been proven to keep hair follicles from shrinking and keep hair in the anagen (growth) phase for a longer period. MSM or methylsulfonylmethane also promotes hair growth as well as reduce stress. It is natural organic sulphur that also reduces cortisol which is a free radical (causes aging) in the body. MSM should be taken once a day 1 tsp (3000mg) and grape seed 2 60 - 100mg pills each day. These are inexpensive treatments and can be found at any local health food store. Also look for natural shampoos with no sulphates - these will shrink hair follicles. All regular shampoos that you would find at a drug store has sulphates in them so go to a health food store for these products as well. Good luck and don't worry!!! I have seen dramatic results. Good luck!!!!!!

G

The exact same thing is happening to me - well, has been happening, for the past 3 years.
I am also 19 years old.
The shedding was not noticable during the first year and a half, but now it is quite noticable, as i have lost over 50% of my hair volume.
I believe what caused my hair to begin falling out is a hormonal imbalance. The slight shedding began about 6 months after I started the birth control pill diane35, and it has since gotten progressively worse. I ran many blood tests, and discovered I was low in iron - however, after 2 years of taking iron tablets, the shedding has only worsened. I have also tried Nioxin, but it only made things worse.
I am currently working with my dermatologist to figure this out - perhaps I will try Rogaine, even though this is definately not due to genetics.
I am afraid to go off of diane35 because I've heard stopping the BCP causes hairloss.

At this point, I really don't know what to do.
Just letting you know there is other people out there just like you!

G

Sara,
Try Saw Palmetto. It seems to have been working for me. You have to take it every day, and you won't see a change for 3 months, but it does work.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
listen when they speak of stress-related hair loss they are no referring to the type of stress a highschool football coaches on the side line. Your body must be under tremendous amounts of stress on a consistent basis for stress to be a major contributing factor to your hair loss. How many of you are on birth control...research indicates a correlation between the pill or depriprevera and female hair loss.