Hair loss and its toll on my life

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been losing hair since about 17 or so I noticed more in the shower but it wasn't an issue because I didnt notice any thinning. Went to college and was always concerned bc i would see so much hair in the shower... then the fall after i turned 20 I noticed that my hair was a little thinner in the temple regions but my hairline was perfect all the way across. So being paranoid like I am I went to the dermatologist. I had been getting dandruff starting around 17 that had been increasing over the years. So my dermatologist confirmed that I had the beginning of male pattern baldness but it wasnt bad. She prescribed me propecia and Keto 2% shampoo for dandruff. During the consultation she told me that its a safe drug and like 1% people get sides from it (didnt mention what they were) and really talked up the drug. She told me to come back in 6 months and wrote a 6 month prescription and gave me a weeks sample.

So i popped the first one the next day and finished the weeks. I didnt really notice any sides and it seemed like I was doing fine. Went to kroger to have the script filled and it was something like 60 bucks for 30 days! I was only 20 and decided to take part of my savings to have 3 months filled for a cheaper price like save 15 dollars. Over the next 3 months I didnt notice any shedding really but wasnt aware of this as the dermatologist didnt tell me. I did notice that from time to time I would have trouble getting it up, but didnt link the two. So at the end of the 3 month script I didnt have the money to get another one filled so I called the dermatologist and she gave me two free samples.

After they were up I decided that since it wasnt noticeable that I would wait to take care of this when it became noticeable. Being a college student and working part time I couldnt afford to keep this up. Fast forward a few months to the summer after my 21st birthday. I buzzed my head with some friends and I was in shock! I could see the thinning areas! I became so depressed I didn't know what to do. I made another appointment with the dermatologist and she prescribed me proscar eithe 1/2 every other day or quartered daily. SO i did the quarter daily. This time I had read about side effects with the drug and noticed them after a few days. I semen was watery and I couldnt keep it up. The slightest distraction i was limp. So I read that it coul;d be too high of a dose and lowered it to split into fifths and still then I did 1/5 every other day. Still problems... so after 2-3 months I gave up.

A year later after my 22nd birthday my hair was diffuse on the top. I didnt know what to do. I decided to give rogaine a try and used foam for a month. It was fine but I was starting a new relationship and realized I couldnt get by without it being obvious I applied it so I stopped. I didnt get a shed. Then Fall of 2010 I decided to try propecia again but start at .25 and work my way up... I got sides after a few days. Gave up and tried rogaine again and after a couple weeks my hair began to shed like crazy. I had college graduation in december and was so depressed that my hair had got so thin I almost said forget even going out to celebrate. Then In january I noticed my hair coming in. I was still shedding but I saw new hair. I was so happy then it stopped shedding for a month then picked up again. I still was applying tit the same way and using nizoral 1% every couple days. So the shedding became way worse in March then in April I am way worse than before I ever used foam.

Right now I am hoping this shed leaves and my hair thickens up. Its not looking good and foam is expensive because I go through 2 cans a month because I have to apply it to my entire top for diffuse. As of now hoping CB will help me when I get it and that I dont continue to shed like this every few months that I am on foam.

As to what this has done to my life... Its made me want to stay in all the time. I am very outgoing person. I avoid bright lighting or recessed lighting whenever possible. I worry about eating at restaurants or going to bars or even at work. I dont like sitting with my back to other people. I dont even like walking in stores at the mall anymore. I always am worried that someone will notice. I hope to God every night that it doesnt get worse and that there will be a cure.

My friends think im mad at them because i dont wnat to go out with them to bars or even to get food sometime. I find myself getting angry at my friends because they have full heads of hair. I go to waterparks and know that someone will notice my thinning hair and it looks awful wet.

TOday we had a giant rain storm and i had to run across two parking lots to get into work. I just applied foam and all of it was washed out and on my face and body. I was very upset plus my hair has looked like SH*t all day now.

I miss the simple things I used to be able to do and I know all of you know what I am talking about. I cant even be comfortable any more and showers, haircuts or styling my hair just make me depressed.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
After reading aaaaall that, I still don't know what Norwood you are...

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Have you give dutasteride a thought? I know that it's a more "powerful" drug, but I've heard that people who gets finasteride sides have switched to duta and not gotten any.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you throw caution to the wind. Do your research (if you haven't already) and see if it might be something that you'd try.

It all comes down to how badly you want your hair to stay on your head...but don't go insane. The only thing that worrying will do is make more hair fall out. Sooner or later most of us on this forum will be bald, and we'll have to come to grips with it....I'm just not ready for that yet :)

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
After reading aaaaall that, I still don't know what Norwood you are...

Im really not sure... my hairline is still there just thinner in temple areas and crown and diffuse in the middle top.

thanks guys... i am scared minoxidil is not my friend and it will do the same to me as irishpride and make me shed every couple months.

jaylongford

Reaction score
started losing at 16 mate, i know where your coming from, but I dealt with it fast. I grade 1'd the whole head and became used to it.

I'm currently in the process of purchasing and starting to wear a hair system. Now this isnt because I dont like how I look, I actually really like the shaved looked on myself, but I want a more youthful look for a good few years while im nice and fresh (im 20 atm).

So what im trying to get at is, maybe try a hair system? The technology has come on leaps and bounds, worth a look buddy.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
As long as the "wig technology" is about glueing or taping something artificial to your head and worrying about it matching with the rest of your hair, etc, I'd say it's more trouble than being bald could ever be.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
at this point i still have enough hair to cover my head just not happy with it. if it comes to it i may try a hair system but with my active lifestyle i dont know if it would be possible. :(

jaylongford

Reaction score
ghg and OP id do some research into systems, alot of advanced have been made recently. Yes the attachment is still done by either adhesive or tape, but you've got people doing all sorts of activities that dont get any lift, so they dont need to worry about their system coming off at all, it just wont happen.

Alot of guys do the usual stuff with their system: play sports, go swimming, etc etc..

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a good amount of hair left... wouldnt that be a problem or cause my hair loss to become worse?

s.a.f

Reaction score
jaylongford said:
ghg and OP id do some research into systems, alot of advanced have been made recently. Yes the attachment is still done by either adhesive or tape, but you've got people doing all sorts of activities that dont get any lift, so they dont need to worry about their system coming off at all, it just wont happen.

Alot of guys do the usual stuff with their system: play sports, go swimming, etc etc..

What advancements have been made recently? As GHG mentioned the main problem isnt hair coming off its that its extremley difficult to match a system to your own hair and make it look natural. Not to mention the problem of going from noticibly balding to back to having hair overnight.

And wearing hair does work best if you are totally bald underneath otherwise you get lift.

jaylongford

Reaction score
I understand where your coming from, possibly shave what hair you do have then and go for a full cap, that would solve that particular issue. Again this is just another possible solution to the problem, each to their own.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Are full caps common? Sounds expensive.

jaylongford

Reaction score
they are common yeah, all the good companies that provide hair system's also provide a full cap system, they are slightly more expensive, really not that much more at all, at the place im going to be going to its 85 GBP more than a topper the topper being 120GBP so 205GBP in total, not bad I would say.

jaylongford

Reaction score
hmm hair transplant cost alot :/, why would you get a hair transplant done, if you were going to wear a system anyway? I dont know, just wondering.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
i saw part of the royal wedding today and the prince has some major balding going on... i feel like he has done nothing about it... everyone knows that he can afford the best treatments or hair system... does it not concern him?

s.a.f

Reaction score
brandnew said:
i saw part of the royal wedding today and the prince has some major balding going on... i feel like he has done nothing about it... everyone knows that he can afford the best treatments or hair system... does it not concern him?
Apparently he's tried treatments but he could hardly get a wig or hair transplant without the entire world noticing.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
i mean wit his money though subtle treatments wouldnt matter... whats the public going to do? shun him for it? lol

s.a.f

Reaction score
brandnew said:
i mean wit his money though subtle treatments wouldnt matter... whats the public going to do? shun him for it? lol

Yes exactly he's supposed to be the future king not some insecure pu55y. He's already harrassed by comedians ect.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
thats not going to make people think any less of him. people can suck it if they think that because he wants to be normal like everyone else that makes him a pu$$y