Hair is not Life but it's Pretty Damn Close; HRT and Pictorial Posts Prove it.

How far are you willing to go to restore a full head of hair?

• Full-blown Feminization

Votes: 39 15.0%
  • Slight Gyno

Votes: 45 17.3%
  • Slight Breast Growth

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Only "Male" Treatments

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Dude, I won't even touch finasteride

Votes: 59 22.7%

• Total voters

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using it for a while, at 10ml in the morning now, don't expect miracles but a worthwhile addition to combating hair loss. Really cheap too, i would give it a shot.

10ml, holy crap. no stomach issues at that dosage?

what benefits have you noticed?

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
No stomach problems at 10ml, i find it works wells with the oral minoxidil i take. Like i said don't expect miracles but it works much better than i thought it would.

Are you on dutasteride as well? think I read that you were at some point at least.

Has it helped?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you on dutasteride as well? think I read that you were at some point at least.

Has it helped?
I have been on finasteride and/or dutasteride since the late 90's. I had really good maintenance but no regrowth. I listed all of my meds above. So yes it helped but I was ready for something more.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
RU killed my hairline within 3 months... I was stable and just, boom. Very odd response.

Just to be clear to everyone, I am not taking sides, I am not saying he is right or wrong, simply found that interesting. The main reason why I found that particularly interesting was the fact that he said when topical E is used, it turns into estrone in the body... and I know @Obsessive had confirmed this a while ago, and at the time he said he wasn't even sure if E was helping or hurting his hair.

As crazy as this sounds, I prefer the sides from estrogen than the possible unpredictable and potentially permanent sides from finasteride/dutasteride. So I am totally onboard the E train.

My face/skin looked terrific on bi-estro (estriol-estradiol) cream as well.

I have been applying bi-estrocare for the past 3-4 days (had some left over), so trust me, I want to believe and the science makes sense.

@JaneyElizabeth very good point about it helping wounds as well (scarring). I absolutely need that. Is Estriol helpful for wounds though, I think i only saw studies mentioning estradiol? and how good is estradiol for wounds actually? I can't remember who said this, may have been bridge, but someone was using estrogel on scars and the scar instead of being white/odd it started to look like normal skin...
I played with RU 2 years ago for a month and it hurt my hair then @ 50 mg a day. After seeing a few of Derek's pro-RU videos I figured I would give it another try, this time at a higher dose. Ugh.. I ended up losing a lot of hair because I kept going and going, subscribing to the HairLossTalk.com mantra 'ride out the shed'. Ended up taking two big steps back from all of the very slow gains I had made.

FWIW, I confirmed that my RU was pure and authentic before using.

Looking over my last three years, I can say the following:
The bad:
1) RU causes either Telogen Effluvium or something else catastrophic. Will never touch it again.
2) hydroxy flutamide topical, with derma rolling, was ineffective
3) moderate dose of spironolactone (100 mg), without estrogen, was ineffective
4) dutasteride has been no better than finasteride but more side effects...I still am not sure if finasteride has ever helped but I think it may have improved the crown.

Good:
1) Estradiol and estriol are good for hair. Topical and systemic...although topical does go systemic
2) Oral min works well but cannot use for long periods of time due to skin effects
3) oral castor oil surprising does have a place in a hair loss regimen
***1+2 would likely be a functional cure if I could use long term

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I played with RU 2 years ago for a month and it hurt my hair then @ 50 mg a day. After seeing a few of Derek's pro-RU videos I figured I would give it another try, this time at a higher dose. Ugh.. I ended up losing a lot of hair because I kept going and going, subscribing to the HairLossTalk.com mantra 'ride out the shed'. Ended up taking two big steps back from all of the very slow gains I had made.

The bad:
1) RU causes either Telogen Effluvium or something else catastrophic. Will never touch it again.
4) dutasteride has been no better than finasteride but more side effects...I still am not sure if finasteride has ever helped but I think it may have improved the crown.

Good:
1) Estradiol and estriol are good for hair. Topical and systemic...although topical does go systemic
2) Oral min works well but cannot use for long periods of time due to skin effects
So RU, that thing that so many held their hopes upon somehow causes sheds? And hydroxy flutamide, the other highly touted one. I thought that RU was an analogue of estrogen so I don't know. Others have said similar things about letrozole ruining their hair forever. I am thoroughly baffled for you and others. Is there a way to stop a shed by stopping the medication? Maybe the experimental ones, I mean I don't know. Some people say they work and other people shed apparently. I am really sorry but you might try titrating to pinpoint dosages. I am on my fifth day of Castor Oil. I am not even sure how long it takes and what it is supposed to do really but for $14, I got quite a lot and 3 ml is like nothing in terms of quantity chosen. Oh yeah, what about sulfurtransferase with topical minoxidil or would that hurt your skin. The only thing that I see using oral minoxidil is just circles that aren't terrible. Concealer works pretty well on that, plus moisturizer seems to help. They get better as the day goes on.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sheds as a topic. I am disillusioned by Obsessive's testimony and the Sisiphean aspect of it. Even though @bridgeburn didn't test, it might be that cis-guys do need to test. The only thing that I can think of with the sheds is some guys have to cross-over, i.e. reach adult female hormone levels and stay there for a considerable amount of time. Maybe we are just kidding ourselves about finding incremental improvement and solutions until we are close to adult female ratios. Any other MtF's please chime in if you know or have an idea about whether your hair seemed to mostly kick in at once or was it slow and steady as you moved upwards in estradiol?

If someone is having their buds removed and then this isn't reliable for them, I hate that. I throw a lot of things out but always as conjecture so don't take anything for granted or maybe there is no typical in this sort of venture. I am very sad for you because you have tried so hard.

I shed down to complete horse-shoe baldness so in a sense, there was no riding out of the storm. I had no solutions but to continue. Going off meds seems to make no sense in that scenario. My hair was coming out because it wanted to come out and it did in a very few weeks. There was no way that I could have stopped it by stopping spironolactone. I only stopped spironolactone once things were improving and I decided to finally stay at adult female targets, I suppose forever.

There's a reason I guess that cis-males have traditionally not done this and I have said this, you have to go through the breast part before you get to the hair part and it must be that marginal improvement is curtailed unless and until cis-female estradiol levels are hit. My thought getting into this with Life Flo all those years ago was that it topical estrogens would work immediately and resoundingly and they really were just piddling until my hair had grown back but still short from the shed. I started taking enormous amounts of estradiol, and then added oral Minoxidil on October 18th of last year and it looks like that is about to really kick in but knock on wood.

I posted both my medication protocol and two different ones that @bridgeburn used and I still believe that anyone using any of those three protocols is likely to have success at at least partial restoration if they are continued say six to 18 months but there has to be at least some estrogen component or not of this is going to work. I don't know if it is good or bad news but 1.5 mg of estradiol and 100mg of spironolactone should work to re-set the axis towards adult female targets. @bridgeburn and I have been in the stratosphere in terms of E2 levels, just in case and I wanted to see if pregnancy levels improved the situation and how that felt.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This, along with tamoxi and raloxi as I have deemed them, are meds that some advanced folks are using as SERM's.This is high level operations and I don't recommend them. They are very expensive and difficult to control.

Almas

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Он мне ответил! Это счастье

Attachments

• ein.png
    ein.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 99
  • ein1.png
    ein1.png
    49 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score

The bad:

Good:

Damn RU....

Thanks for the post!

Glad to hear more positive stuff on estradiol/estriol, and oral castor oil!

I'm opting to use 960mg of a high quality Saw Palmetto extract (among other things) instead of finasteride/dutasteride, but will happily add estradiol/estriol. My reasoning for using SP is below, 2 year study done with 320mg Saw Palmetto extract daily vs 1mg finasteride daily. Results are really not bad, and it's unclear if just increasing the SP dose will gain more benefit (I am banking on that being true). This study is important because for a 2 year study on men with MBP, any % increase in haircount over baseline is a big win.

Abstract​

The objective of this open label study is to determine the effectiveness of Serenoa repens in treating male androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia), by comparing its results with finasteride. For this purpose, we enrolled 100 male patients with clinically diagnosed mild to moderate Androgenetic Alopecia. One group received Serenoa repens 320 mg every day for 24 months, while the other received finasteride 1 mg every day for the same period. In order to assess the efficacy of the treatments, a score index based on the comparison of the global photos taken at the beginning (T0) and at the end (T24) of the treatment, was used. The results showed that only 38%; of patients treated with Serenoa repens had an increase in hair growth, while 68%; of those treated with finasteride noted an improvement. Moreover finasteride was more effective for more than half of the patients (33 of 50, i.e. 66%), with level II and III alopecia. We can summarize our results by observing that Serenoa repens could lead to an improvement of androgenetic alopecia, while finasteride confirmed its efficacy. We also clinically observed, that finasteride acts in both the front area and the vertex, while Serenoa repens prevalently in the vertex. Obviously other studies will be necessary to clarify the mechanisms that cause the different responses of these two treatments.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn RU....

Thanks for the post!

Glad to hear more positive stuff on estradiol/estriol, and oral castor oil!

I'm opting to use 960mg of a high quality Saw Palmetto extract (among other things) instead of finasteride/dutasteride, but will happily add estradiol/estriol. My reasoning for using SP is below, 2 year study done with 320mg Saw Palmetto extract daily vs 1mg finasteride daily. Results are really not bad, and it's unclear if just increasing the SP dose will gain more benefit (I am banking on that being true). This study is important because for a 2 year study on men with MBP, any % increase in haircount over baseline is a big win.

Abstract​

The objective of this open label study is to determine the effectiveness of Serenoa repens in treating male androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia), by comparing its results with finasteride. For this purpose, we enrolled 100 male patients with clinically diagnosed mild to moderate Androgenetic Alopecia. One group received Serenoa repens 320 mg every day for 24 months, while the other received finasteride 1 mg every day for the same period. In order to assess the efficacy of the treatments, a score index based on the comparison of the global photos taken at the beginning (T0) and at the end (T24) of the treatment, was used. The results showed that only 38%; of patients treated with Serenoa repens had an increase in hair growth, while 68%; of those treated with finasteride noted an improvement. Moreover finasteride was more effective for more than half of the patients (33 of 50, i.e. 66%), with level II and III alopecia. We can summarize our results by observing that Serenoa repens could lead to an improvement of androgenetic alopecia, while finasteride confirmed its efficacy. We also clinically observed, that finasteride acts in both the front area and the vertex, while Serenoa repens prevalently in the vertex. Obviously other studies will be necessary to clarify the mechanisms that cause the different responses of these two treatments.
Interesting about Serenoa working only in the vertex which seems common of a few meds used for hair loss. For anyone wondering, this is the same as Saw Palmetto which appears to have two different names, like me!

This is an hormonal treatment albeit a natural one.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello members.

So, today I received some new blood tests that I have done. I am using Oral Finasteride, Topical Finasteride and Topical Minoxidil. In the past, I posted many of my blood tests that I've done before, while I was on Propecia (and before as well-Baseline). Here is my thread, having all blood tests( values): https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/all-blood-tests-that-i-have-done-until-now.129791/
Please check if you have time, contains a lot of blood tests/dates when I started my treatments.

I decided to try topical Estriol. I am making a homemade solution with: Crushed Estriol Pills+Ethanol+PPG+a hint of Distilled Water. From 17/11/20 I made my first batch, including about 0.5 mg/ml Estriol (that's was the number that I received, when I was doing the mix/concetrations etc). I was/am applying 4 times per week. From 5/12/20, and until now, I changed my solution to 0.97 mg/ml (let me say here that the mix was tested in a chemistry lab but to check only that the main substance, Estriol in that case, was indeed there, so I kinda assured that my mix was something indeed and not just pure ethanol+ppg for example--although I don't have info about the total concetration there--every time, I am trying to calculate it and I keep that number, If I have some Ethanol loss with Estriol, I am subtracting the substance that I lost, but in my last batches, I am keep doing sucessfully my solution without loss when dissolving ) and on the previous Saturday ( 9-1-21) I did some blood tests to check Estriol levels plus my routine hormones tests, like all my previous blood tests on my thread. I got these results today:

Estradiol-E2: 4.5 pg/ml ( Ref.Levels: <60--- Still so low here--Previous results:1/9/20:8.5 pg/ml)
Estriol-E3: 1.1 ng/ml (Ref.Levels: 0.0-2.0---Baseline,before my Topical Solution: 0.1 ng/ml -> So, I will conclude indeed a Systemic Absorption)
Total Testosterone: 495 ng/dl (Ref.Levels: 249-836--Previous Result:1/9/20: 523)
DHT: 550 pg/ml (Ref.Levels: 250-990--Previous Result:1/9/20:383---Somehow it's bouncing back! My baseline before started Propecia and Topical Finasteride was 541)

And I checked for my first time my PSA levels, unfortunately I don't have baseline before Finasteride, I should have checked but it is what it is.. I got this result: 0.23 ng/ml (seems to work in the levels ??? If you check my long post with my blood tests, indeed when I tested 3a-Diol-G, was low and that was a good indicator that Finasteride doing some job, since was blocking the major metabolite of DHT).

Also I re-checked my vitamin D levels and It was again low (many years I am vit D deficient but I have never manage to bring my levels to normal levels), this time though, the result was below 10! Specifically: 6.7 ng/ml, which is I think is severe deficiency. I am wondering as well that the VDR receptor ratio will be "non-existent" (Reference to the VDR receptor theory etc). I did some general as well blood tests and I again I was low in Hematocrit and Hemoglobin, like all my previous tests showing as well on my thread. (plus checked thyroid and everything was fine)

Just posting this because I think is something important for the absorption of Topicals. I am kinda worried about my E2 levels (maybe low E2 because of: Testo lowered+ Underweight+ Low body fat+ low DHEA-S. So I suggest in tissues as well? Worried about because the importance in the hair growth protocol), Vit D levels and the bounce back of DHT. Although, PSA+3a-Diol-G seems to be low as it should be.. I really don't know. I will appreciate every piece of advice. Thank you very much !

Sorry for my English.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello members.

So, today I received some new blood tests that I have done. I am using Oral Finasteride, Topical Finasteride and Topical Minoxidil. In the past, I posted many of my blood tests that I've done before, while I was on Propecia (and before as well-Baseline). Here is my thread, having all blood tests( values): https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/all-blood-tests-that-i-have-done-until-now.129791/
Please check if you have time, contains a lot of blood tests/dates that I started my treatments.

I decided to try topical Estriol. I am making a homemade solution with: Crushed Estriol Pills+Ethanol+PPG+a hint of Distilled Water. From 17/11/20 I made my first batch, including about 0.5 mg/ml Estriol (that's was the number that I received, when I was doing the mix/concetrations etc). I was/am applying 4 times per week. From 5/12/20, and until now, I changed my solution to 0.97 mg/ml (let me say here that the mix was tested in a chemistry lab but to check only that the main substance, Estriol in that case, was indeed there, so I kinda assured that my mix was something indeed and not just pure ethanol+ppg for example--although I don't have info about the total concetration there--every time, I am trying to calculate it and I keep that number, If I have some Ethanol loss with Estriol, I am subtracting the substance that I lost, but in my last batches, I am keep doing sucessfully my solution without loss when dissolving ) and on the previous Saturday ( 9-1-21) I did some blood tests to check Estriol levels plus my routine hormones tests, like all my previous blood tests on my thread. I got these results today:

Estradiol-E2: 4.5 pg/ml ( Ref.Levels: <60--- Still so low here--Previous results:1/9/20:8.5 pg/ml)
Estriol-E3: 1.1 ng/ml (Ref.Levels: 0.0-2.0---Baseline,before my Topical Solution: 0.1 ng/ml -> So, I will conclude indeed a Systemic Absorption)
Total Testosterone: 495 ng/dl (Ref.Levels: 249-836--Previous Result:1/9/20: 523)
DHT: 550 pg/ml (Ref.Levels: 250-990--Previous Result:1/9/20:383---Somehow it's bouncing back! My baseline before started Propecia and Topical Finasteride was 541)

And I checked for my first time my PSA levels, unfortunately I don't have baseline before Finasteride, I should have checked but it is what it is.. I got this result: 0.23 ng/ml (seems to work in the levels ??? If you check my long post with my blood tests, indeed when I tested 3a-Diol-G, was low and that was a good indicator that Finasteride doing some job, since was blocking the major metabolite of DHT).

Also I re-checked my vitamin D levels and It was again low (many years I am vit D deficient but I have never manage to bring my levels to normal levels), this time though, the result was below 10! Specifically: 6.7 ng/ml, which is I think is severe deficiency. I am wondering as well that the VDR receptor ratio will be "non-existent" (Reference to the VDR receptor theory etc). I did some general as well blood tests and I again I was low in Hematocrit and Hemoglobin, like all my previous tests showing as well on my thread. (plus checked thyroid and everything was fine)

Just posting this because I think is something important for the absorption of Topicals. I am kinda worried about my E2 levels (maybe low E2 because of: Testo lowered+ Underweight+ Low body fat+ low DHEA-S. So I suggest in tissues as well? Worried about because the importance in the hair growth protocol), Vit D levels and the bounce back of DHT. Although, PSA+3a-Diol-G seems to be low as it should be.. I really don't know. I will appreciate every piece of advice. Thank you very much !

Sorry for my English.
I did look at your other page--are you only using finasteride and minoxidil?