Hair gets matted down after a few weeks

timn420

Reaction score
I know most people have issues with volume after getting a new hair system, but after a couple of weeks, my system starts to look thatched and like a dead cat on my head. Is this because of too many products? I tried cleaning the UTS in a solution of water and conditioner for 5-10 minutes but it didn't seem to help things. Is there a way to give the hair a little more volume instead of looking lifeless?

Noah

Reaction score
It sounds like too many products. Have you tried the obvious thing - mild shampoo?

I find washing the system once a week with mild shampoo keeps it in good shape. A little bit of argan oil is also good, because it makes the hair glossy and supple, but not heavy.

If you want to use "product" don't overdo it. Rather than adding more gel or wax, try re-activating yesterday's product with a comb dipped in warm water.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
One evening per week, I put on a little more leave-in than usual and spend a while gently, but thoroughly, combing it through with a fine comb. I think with all the glue and natural oils from your head, things can accumulate and matting is an inevitable side effect of that. With this method, it gives every hair a little bit of attention!

Always looks and feels a million times better the next morning.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
One evening per week, I put on a little more leave-in than usual and spend a while gently, but thoroughly, combing it through with a fine comb. I think with all the glue and natural oils from your head, things can accumulate and matting is an inevitable side effect of that. With this method, it gives every hair a little bit of attention!

Always looks and feels a million times better the next morning.
Is comb better than brush?

timn420

Reaction score
It sounds like too many products. Have you tried the obvious thing - mild shampoo?

I find washing the system once a week with mild shampoo keeps it in good shape. A little bit of argan oil is also good, because it makes the hair glossy and supple, but not heavy.

If you want to use "product" don't overdo it. Rather than adding more gel or wax, try re-activating yesterday's product with a comb dipped in warm water.
Are you soaking the system in the shampoo for a period of time or just putting the shampoo on the system and rinsing it out?

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll have to check this out! How often do you use this, just as needed or daily?
It´s a daily leave-in conditioner . You can use it instead of water to make your hairstyle. It gives a bit of hold, too

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If the hair is tangled, then a comb isn't better than a brush. You need a detangling brush. They work great, and then require minimal effort to get rid of tangles - they just glide through the hair and take out the tangles. Trying to get rid of tangles with a comb is a recipe for disaster as you end up pulling on the hair and probably breaking it or pulling it out.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
If the hair is tangled, then a comb isn't better than a brush. You need a detangling brush. They work great, and then require minimal effort to get rid of tangles - they just glide through the hair and take out the tangles. Trying to get rid of tangles with a comb is a recipe for disaster as you end up pulling on the hair and probably breaking it or pulling it out.
Don't they just glide through the tanlges and just ignore them? You think they actually solve the tangles?

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I think dragging several rows of plastic spikes isn't great. You may be detangling, but you're probably pulling hairs out along the way. With some conditioner and a comb, it's really easy to tease a tangle out without tearing out the hair.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't they just glide through the tanlges and just ignore them? You think they actually solve the tangles?

In my experience, they are the quickest and easiest way to get rid of tangles but no brush or comb will solve tangles permanently. They have to be brushed out from time to time.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think dragging several rows of plastic spikes isn't great. You may be detangling, but you're probably pulling hairs out along the way. With some conditioner and a comb, it's really easy to tease a tangle out without tearing out the hair.

Sure, but you don't have to be rough with a detangling brush. You should always be gentle with hair systems. If it's just a small tangle, you can probably do it with a comb yes, if it's more tangles then a detangling brush is better. Mind you, I have long hair (10 - 12 inches) so it's even more essential for me.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tangle Teezer works best, in my experience.