Hair From Hairpiece Keeps Falling Out Man!

lauren

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello to you all!

I purchased a hairpiece from the hairpiece warehouse and I also had two previous hairpieces and they all seem to shed a lot of hair, especially when I come to apply a fresh bond or brushing it after a shower. I would probably think this is natural (even though I think they can come up with hairpieces that do not shed at all or lightly shed) but is there a way to avoid shedding hair so much? That is, is there any tips or tricks I can adopt to avoid this problem?

Second, Hairpiece warehouse provided me with a pretty nice hairpiece, but are there are other places you would suggest with similar pricing?? I have visited other sites and they tend to be a lot more expensive and state that they last the same amount of time, 3-6 months.

Thank you all in advance and happy holidays!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It could have been a bad unit. Usually, I use a wide tooth comb and gently comb. I have never had any issues with shedding over the years. Sure you will lose half a dozen strands here and there.

Is it coming out in clumps and giving bald patches?

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello to you all!

I purchased a hairpiece from the hairpiece warehouse and I also had two previous hairpieces and they all seem to shed a lot of hair, especially when I come to apply a fresh bond or brushing it after a shower. I would probably think this is natural (even though I think they can come up with hairpieces that do not shed at all or lightly shed) but is there a way to avoid shedding hair so much? That is, is there any tips or tricks I can adopt to avoid this problem?

Second, Hairpiece warehouse provided me with a pretty nice hairpiece, but are there are other places you would suggest with similar pricing?? I have visited other sites and they tend to be a lot more expensive and state that they last the same amount of time, 3-6 months.

Thank you all in advance and happy holidays!
Think maybe it’s time to give up if even your hair piece sheds..this hair loss curse is a b**ch.

Noah

Reaction score
Some shedding is normal, especially at the start, but not to the extent where the piece becomes thin.

If this is a lace piece, with knotted hair, you should avoid pulling on the hair when the knots are wet. They are more likely to slip out when wet, causing the hair to shed. I don't know much about female hair replacement, but I can imagine if you have long hair there must be quite a lot of torque on the hair if you are brushing it. I would guess you should only be doing that when the hair is dry.

The other thing you could consider is knot sealer.

lauren

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could have been a bad unit. Usually, I use a wide tooth comb and gently comb. I have never had any issues with shedding over the years. Sure you will lose half a dozen strands here and there.

Is it coming out in clumps and giving bald patches?

No but when I do brush or after waking up (I sleep on a normal cotton pillow case) it a few strands come out. But it is almost daily, especially when brushing. Sometimes I will be standing at the mirror and see a strand just longer than the rest and I just have to lightly pull it and comes right out. Anywho, to answer your question it is a few stands that come out and usually not clumps unless I am reapplying the unit then one or two times it has come out in clumps. Since August (when purchased the unit) and I do now have a small balding area in the front.

lauren

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some shedding is normal, especially at the start, but not to the extent where the piece becomes thin.

If this is a lace piece, with knotted hair, you should avoid pulling on the hair when the knots are wet. They are more likely to slip out when wet, causing the hair to shed. I don't know much about female hair replacement, but I can imagine if you have long hair there must be quite a lot of torque on the hair if you are brushing it. I would guess you should only be doing that when the hair is dry.

The other thing you could consider is knot sealer.
No Noah I am male and youre right I do notice that the hair tends to fall when it is wet (I spray the hair in order to style it and brush it and that is when most of the hair falls out). According to your theory, wouldn't hair systems last a lot longer than 3 months? According to Hairpiece warehouse and another site I visited (I think tophat.com) stated that a hairsystem lasts only 3 months. I assumed that was because it constantly sheds and after 3 months you won't have much hair left and will be forced into buying a new one. If that is not then the case, how do you know you need a new piece???

What is a knot sealer? sounds like a useful tool, especially if it will keep the hair in place. If that's the case, I may hold on to my hair system a lot longer than the prescribed 3 months.

Also, where would be a good place to purchase hair products Noah? I have been buying from HairDirect, but I think they are bit pricey, but again I could be wrong. Also, do you purchase specialized shampoo and conditioner or just purchase off the shelf?

Noah

Reaction score
Ah, sorry for making the wrong assumption about your gender Lauren.

Hair systems can last longer than 3 months. I get about twice that length out of mine, and usually the reason for changing is that the hair starts to look a bit dried out. Obviously I try to make the change before any deterioration becomes obvious. I do get a bit of thinning, but it is pretty rare for me to have to stop wearing a unit because of bald spots. I have talked to guys who claim to be able to get 10 months+ out of a piece. I am pretty rough on mine, in terms of sports, sweating, swimming in the sea etc. The quality of the knotting depends on the skill of the ventilator in China, and I expect some are more experienced and competent than others.

Knot sealer is a liquid resin which dries to form plastic. You paint it on the underside of a lace piece, or dot it on each knot if you have the patience, and it gives the knots a little bit of additional stability which prevents them slipping and shedding. It's definitely worth trying if shedding had been a problem, especially on the hairline and the parting/crown area if you have one. You can get it from Amazon or Hair Direct. I would wear your new unit for a week or so and then apply knot sealer, so that you are not sealing in the "pouff" that comes with a new piece (if you know what I mean).

I just use ordinary shampoo and conditioner. Any mild shampoo is fine - ideally one "for processed or damaged hair". It's worth investing in a good quality conditioner though - I use American Crew brand. When you condition, try to get the conditioner on the hair shafts, but keep it away from the base and the knots, because it can also lubricate the knots and cause them to slip.

I have sent you a PM on suppliers.

si84

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you buy the right type and use the right stuff then it shouldn't only last 3 months that's awful! maybe what you are buying is poor quality and cheap. plus what products you are putting in to the hair can have negative effects. a lot of trial and error but you will get there