Hair Follicle Primordiums - Is 2020 The Year Where It All Ends?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if and when human trial results would be completed/published? Thank you

My guess:

Completed probably late 2019. We should have published studies in the first quarter of 2020 and release in Japan in late 2020.

Of course if everything goes as planned...

H

Reaction score
When is the safety trial for mice suppose to be over?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you're a f*****g idiot, if you legitimately believe one follicle=100euros.

No need to be so agressive. He is probably right, especially in the first few years. then i would expect the price to start dropping dramatically once they get the automation process down pat with Kerocya.

But to be first in line your going to be paying a hefty premium to cover alot of the R&D costs. Same sh*t as the Pharma industry.

Remember Japan is not a 3rd world country or even China, its 1st world prices over there as well.

If top FUE docs like Hasson and Wong charge $8 a graft for whats already there, to create a brand new follicle fomr stem cells I could see costing between $50-80 dollars per graft.

If its less great but I would not be suprised at ALL if that was the cost.

H

Reaction score
No need to be so agressive. He is probably right, especially in the first few years. then i would expect the price to start dropping dramatically once they get the automation process down pat with Kerocya.

But to be first in line your going to be paying a hefty premium to cover alot of the R&D costs. Same sh*t as the Pharma industry.

Remember Japan is not a 3rd world country or even China, its 1st world prices over there as well.

If top FUE docs like Hasson and Wong charge $8 a graft for whats already there, to create a brand new follicle fomr stem cells I could see costing between $50-80 dollars per graft.

If its less great but I would not be suprised at ALL if that was the cost.
The only problem I see with the argument that itll start out really expensive and then trickle down in subsequent years (which I would hope it does even if I believe this may be faulty) after launch is that cosmetic procedures dont generally come down in price and if they do it's not by a large sum. Some people cite the fact that genome sequencing came down but I dont actually think that's a good example. Say it's near the $100k mark in the beginning in order for it to come down to a price that is reasonable for the masses I'm going to just say $20k for example may be a reasonable out of pocket expense for a full head of hair for the average proletariat, that's an 80% discount. That's as far as I've been able to see unheard of in cosmetic and surgery in general. I fear that that will take way longer than a decade to become available.

Robert Robertson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Press release from Organ Technologies and RIKEN posted on June 4, 2018

organ-technol.co.jp/uploads/2018/06/98a3d5caabf1c7829941ab2d5caf20f8.pdf

Several interesting lines:

1. "In order to guarantee safety in humans, it is necessary to prove that the regenerated hair follicles used in the preclinical tests are manufactured by the same method as in the clinical test, and that the qualities of the products are the same both in preclinical and clinical research, and that they are shown to be non-tumorigenic in vivo."

This research is in preclinical safety trials.

2. "Following amplification of the cells by culturing ex vivo, cells will be recovered and regenerated hair follicles will be produced for the regenerated hair follicle formation. Nylon sutures will be inserted into the regenerated follicle for hair growth induction....human
regenerated hair follicle will be transplanted subcutaneously into the back skin of immunodeficient mice"

They are using a nylon stitch to get the hair growing out of the follicle. Then they are picking the ones that grow a hair and transplanting them in the traditional methods. I read somewhere they were injecting promoter cells like Replicel, but this statement clarifies that they are growing the follicles outside the body and picking the good ones to transplant. This implies that they are able to grow autogenous (read: immune resistant) follicles outside of the body already, which is promising.

3: "We plan to complete the safety testing in 2018. If the results of the preclinical safety tests are successful, we will apply for clinical research to the Certified Special Committee or Certified Committee for Regenerative Medicine."

We will know if this causes tumors on mice by the end of this year. Beyond that, cross your fingers that it doesn't cause tumors on humans, and the follicles don't fail once inserted into human epithelium . Promising, but for those who lived through Intercytex we've been here before. Once Intercytex came to the brink of having to report news it all went dark and we never heard from them again.

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Press release from Organ Technologies and RIKEN posted on June 4, 2018

organ-technol.co.jp/uploads/2018/06/98a3d5caabf1c7829941ab2d5caf20f8.pdf

Several interesting lines:

1. "In order to guarantee safety in humans, it is necessary to prove that the regenerated hair follicles used in the preclinical tests are manufactured by the same method as in the clinical test, and that the qualities of the products are the same both in preclinical and clinical research, and that they are shown to be non-tumorigenic in vivo."

This research is in preclinical safety trials.

2. "Following amplification of the cells by culturing ex vivo, cells will be recovered and regenerated hair follicles will be produced for the regenerated hair follicle formation. Nylon sutures will be inserted into the regenerated follicle for hair growth induction....human
regenerated hair follicle will be transplanted subcutaneously into the back skin of immunodeficient mice"

They are using a nylon stitch to get the hair growing out of the follicle. Then they are picking the ones that grow a hair and transplanting them in the traditional methods. I read somewhere they were injecting promoter cells like Replicel, but this statement clarifies that they are growing the follicles outside the body and picking the good ones to transplant. This implies that they are able to grow autogenous (read: immune resistant) follicles outside of the body already, which is promising.

3: "We plan to complete the safety testing in 2018. If the results of the preclinical safety tests are successful, we will apply for clinical research to the Certified Special Committee or Certified Committee for Regenerative Medicine."

We will know if this causes tumors on mice by the end of this year. Beyond that, cross your fingers that it doesn't cause tumors on humans, and the follicles don't fail once inserted into human epithelium . Promising, but for those who lived through Intercytex we've been here before. Once Intercytex came to the brink of having to report news it all went dark and we never heard from them again.

I heard that Intercytex failed due to money issue. However, it seems money is not an issue for Tsuji but rather technical issue

Robert Robertson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I heard that Intercytex failed due to money issue. However, it seems money is not an issue for Tsuji but rather technical issue
This seems to have some truth. From hairlosscure100.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-122.html

"For the clinical application to humans, the development of technologies to stably mass-produce regenerated hair follicle organs of a certain standard was a major task. However, I overcame this issue with Kyocera Corporation (KYOCERA Corporation) which is a global company."

Seems like major corporate funding came through when requested. I don't know that Kyocera (worth 21 billion USD) would waste their time without some 'behind closed doors' proof of concept. We shall see...

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
This seems to have some truth. From hairlosscure100.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-122.html

"For the clinical application to humans, the development of technologies to stably mass-produce regenerated hair follicle organs of a certain standard was a major task. However, I overcame this issue with Kyocera Corporation (KYOCERA Corporation) which is a global company."

Seems like major corporate funding came through when requested. I don't know that Kyocera (worth 21 billion USD) would waste their time without some 'behind closed doors' proof of concept. We shall see...

You earned 21 billion, then spending 1 billion investment is not a big deal imo. Not all investment secure a return. They may fail but nevertheless, hope for the best

Robert Robertson

My Regimen
Reaction score
You earned 21 billion, then spending 1 billion investment is not a big deal imo. Not all investment secure a return. They may fail but nevertheless, hope for the best
Hehe, that's not how large companies work. Or publicly traded companies like Kyocera who are legally responsible to shareholders. Look what happened after GoPro IPO when the CEO thought he struck it rich and donated $500 million worth of stock to charity. The market is watching every investment because the value of companies is a multiple of net income which includes both net cash from operations and investment income, and is evaluated four times a year on quarterly earnings reports. I wish Royal Bank of Canada would give me a large loan simply because they have too much money lol. But they need to interview my extended family, get years of financial reports, and have a business plan which uses only the facts to show I will be able to repay my debt of even $10,000

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hehe, that's not how large companies work. Or publicly traded companies like Kyocera who are legally responsible to shareholders. Look what happened after GoPro IPO when the CEO thought he struck it rich and donated $500 million worth of stock to charity. The market is watching every investment because the value of companies is a multiple of net income which includes both net cash from operations and investment income, and is evaluated four times a year on quarterly earnings reports. I wish Royal Bank of Canada would give me a large loan simply because they have too much money lol. But they need to interview my extended family, get years of financial reports, and have a business plan which uses only the facts to show I will be able to repay my debt of even $10,000
Yup, I got your point. What I am trying to say is, when giant company / pharma joins the research, it still does not guarantee any increased chances of success, it may fail bitterly down the road. Anyway, miracle can happen any time and we can hope for that.

Robert Robertson

My Regimen
Reaction score
The mice in the studies have human hair follicles implanted. During the human trials, the mice will be replaced by humans.
The picture of a mouse with hair growing on the back of its neck....that was the mouse's own cheek hair follicle cells cloned, cultured, and transplanted. As far as I have read the advancement regarding human cells was twofold:

1. Developed a method to mass produce the human mesenchymal/epithelial cell hybrid 'germ' with silk suture matrix, and
2. Have found a way for the cloned human follicle germs to produce hairs while outside of the body for more than 2-3 cycles (using newly discovered stem cells from human epithelial cells)

I have not read that they implanted human cells into a mouse. I could be wrong. Please update me on this if possible. Thank you

from Kagurazaka Fuji Maru
hairlosscure100.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-122.html

"In this study, regenerating hair follicle groups prepared from buccal beard-derived cells of adult mice are transplanted to mouse skin.

Epithelial stem cells and hair dermal papilla cells (mesenchymal cells) were collected from hair follicles present in the bulge area of adult mouse cheek whisker and artificially produced by "Organ Bud Generation" developed independently The regenerated hair follicle base which I did is transplanted and injected into the skin.

Hair follicle base is like hair follicle seed which occurs in fetal period.

Artificially created hair follicle base group changed to the original hair follicle of cheek bald with time and succeeded in generating "hair" equivalent to cheek whisk with about 74% frequency.

This means that the implanted hair follicle base group grew into follicles and bound with surrounding tissues.

Mice cells and skin made a big success.

Although it is explained that the "hair" generated from the neck to the back is equivalent to the cheek whiskers of the mouse, it seems to be applicable immediately to humans as well.

But there is a new challenge.

One is the development of in vitro amplification of bulge-derived epithelial stem cells and hair papilla cells.

Because epithelial stem cells have not been identified in previous studies, it is a well-known fact that the ability to regenerate hair follicles disappears by in vitro culture.

However, the research team overcame this issue over seven years.

And the second is the development of stable mass production technology by "Organ Bud Generation". "

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The picture of a mouse with hair growing on the back of its neck....that was the mouse's own cheek hair follicle cells cloned, cultured, and transplanted. As far as I have read the advancement regarding human cells was twofold:

1. Developed a method to mass produce the human mesenchymal/epithelial cell hybrid 'germ' with silk suture matrix, and
2. Have found a way for the cloned human follicle germs to produce hairs while outside of the body for more than 2-3 cycles (using newly discovered stem cells from human epithelial cells)

I have not read that they implanted human cells into a mouse. I could be wrong. Please update me on this if possible. Thank you

from Kagurazaka Fuji Maru
hairlosscure100.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-122.html

"In this study, regenerating hair follicle groups prepared from buccal beard-derived cells of adult mice are transplanted to mouse skin.

Epithelial stem cells and hair dermal papilla cells (mesenchymal cells) were collected from hair follicles present in the bulge area of adult mouse cheek whisker and artificially produced by "Organ Bud Generation" developed independently The regenerated hair follicle base which I did is transplanted and injected into the skin.

Hair follicle base is like hair follicle seed which occurs in fetal period.

Artificially created hair follicle base group changed to the original hair follicle of cheek bald with time and succeeded in generating "hair" equivalent to cheek whisk with about 74% frequency.

This means that the implanted hair follicle base group grew into follicles and bound with surrounding tissues.

Mice cells and skin made a big success.

Although it is explained that the "hair" generated from the neck to the back is equivalent to the cheek whiskers of the mouse, it seems to be applicable immediately to humans as well.

But there is a new challenge.

One is the development of in vitro amplification of bulge-derived epithelial stem cells and hair papilla cells.

Because epithelial stem cells have not been identified in previous studies, it is a well-known fact that the ability to regenerate hair follicles disappears by in vitro culture.

However, the research team overcame this issue over seven years.

And the second is the development of stable mass production technology by "Organ Bud Generation". "

"Painstaking research began with the bioengineering of various types of hair-follicle germs, which were grafted onto bald mice. The germs carried tiny nylon guides to nudge the growing hairs in the right direction.

Once that proved successful, the team moved on to bioengineering human hair-follicle germs and transplanting them in mice.

The human hairs grew in 21 days with the correct shafts, inner root sheaths and surrounding cells that normal human hair would, the study said.

Further tests proved the human hairs were, indeed, human."

Sources:
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms1784
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ese_scientists_regrow_human_hair_in_mice.html

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Painstaking research began with the bioengineering of various types of hair-follicle germs, which were grafted onto bald mice. The germs carried tiny nylon guides to nudge the growing hairs in the right direction.

Once that proved successful, the team moved on to bioengineering human hair-follicle germs and transplanting them in mice.

The human hairs grew in 21 days with the correct shafts, inner root sheaths and surrounding cells that normal human hair would, the study said.

Further tests proved the human hairs were, indeed, human."

Sources:
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms1784
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ese_scientists_regrow_human_hair_in_mice.html

It is unbelivable how far they were back in 2012... For me it seems they were almost ready for primetime back then.
This is the problem with the media. If you read the articles from back then you find nothing about the problem of the quantity of cloned hair (or at least i did not found something). They allways report the good stuff and leave out the problems so we hairloss sufferer are allways like wtf why is that not available yet.

But Tsuji seems to deliver in the next 2-3 years. I think he is getting a x-mas card from me this year :)

Edit: Do japanese people celebrate x-mas???

ZLulic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
II think he is getting a x-mas card from me this year :)
Edit: Do japanese people celebrate x-mas???

They usually celebrate Christmas by going to KFC to have dinner together. Its a tradition since the 70s. Send him this
0293223ab9909ac05aa85e9a29b65c01.jpg

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, no treatment has worked flawlessly from the beginning. It takes years to polish and improve and then be commercially available.

Secondly, the prices are unknown and these calculations are naive. This isn’t supposed to be a treatment for rich people. This is supposed to become the future donor method. This is supposed to be used by every single clinic in twenty to thirty years from now.

Also, this treatment is the steroids for the transplant industry which isn’t going anywhere. Forget lotions, potions, pills and other sh*t. Androgenetic Alopecia is deep within the genetic code and it isn’t going anywhere either. The cure is never coming in our lifetimes. What IS coming is the repair. Prices have to and will be affordable because that is going to x100 the annual profits of transplant industry. If we played Monopoly, I’d put all my money on “transplant avenue” right now because it’s about to blow up.

So, 2020? No. 2025 - 2030 I would say.

Price? Doesn’t matter. It will become the future standard procedure for any transplant.

Will it work? Again, doesn’t matter and this is the point you’re all missing. It won’t matter if tsuji does it because others work on the same thing. What matters is that the industry has taken a turn into this solution instead of manufacturing useless topical Finasteride ampules. Antiandrogens are already a thing of the past. Steroids are also a thing of the past, right now it’s all about peptides, growth hormone and folistatin. The world moves on to better solutions.

This is why I keep saying that antiandrogens are stupid and only prolong the inevitable while causing massive issues. This is why searching through ncbi like some fools here do is pointless. The feminization route to prolong the inevitable is f*****g stupid, period. The same goes for that ridiculous vasodilator that eats collagen and creates arrhythmia, both happen to everyone but at different rate so not all experience them the same. Again, a moronic way to treat Androgenetic Alopecia. Both of these solutions were accidental and this is why they are not true solutions.

The point here is that the industry moves to the right direction. Fortify an already existing, successful method of restoring hair, transplants. Hundred years from now, the next approach is going to be in the genetic code. It is inevitable, the human kind changes, strives for perfection, evolves. Eighty years ago, a woman was hairy, French women had perfumes to cover the smell and wigs to hide the flees on their heads. Today, we have hair removal precise lasers, hair products, etc.

Which comes to another point. Science moves to a steady pace always, regardless of external pressure. No matter how many of you cry, spam emails or threaten to hang, nothing is going to happen faster than it’s supposed to. The reason why all of you think this goes slow af is because for the past decades the media and forums have blown this out of proportion and set false expectations.

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, no treatment has worked flawlessly from the beginning. It takes years to polish and improve and then be commercially available.

Secondly, the prices are unknown and these calculations are naive. This isn’t supposed to be a treatment for rich people. This is supposed to become the future donor method. This is supposed to be used by every single clinic in twenty to thirty years from now.

Also, this treatment is the steroids for the transplant industry which isn’t going anywhere. Forget lotions, potions, pills and other sh*t. Androgenetic Alopecia is deep within the genetic code and it isn’t going anywhere either. The cure is never coming in our lifetimes. What IS coming is the repair. Prices have to and will be affordable because that is going to x100 the annual profits of transplant industry. If we played Monopoly, I’d put all my money on “transplant avenue” right now because it’s about to blow up.

So, 2020? No. 2025 - 2030 I would say.

Price? Doesn’t matter. It will become the future standard procedure for any transplant.

Will it work? Again, doesn’t matter and this is the point you’re all missing. It won’t matter if tsuji does it because others work on the same thing. What matters is that the industry has taken a turn into this solution instead of manufacturing useless topical Finasteride ampules. Antiandrogens are already a thing of the past. Steroids are also a thing of the past, right now it’s all about peptides, growth hormone and folistatin. The world moves on to better solutions.

This is why I keep saying that antiandrogens are stupid and only prolong the inevitable while causing massive issues. This is why searching through ncbi like some fools here do is pointless. The feminization route to prolong the inevitable is f*****g stupid, period. The same goes for that ridiculous vasodilator that eats collagen and creates arrhythmia, both happen to everyone but at different rate so not all experience them the same. Again, a moronic way to treat Androgenetic Alopecia. Both of these solutions were accidental and this is why they are not true solutions.

The point here is that the industry moves to the right direction. Fortify an already existing, successful method of restoring hair, transplants. Hundred years from now, the next approach is going to be in the genetic code. It is inevitable, the human kind changes, strives for perfection, evolves. Eighty years ago, a woman was hairy, French women had perfumes to cover the smell and wigs to hide the flees on their heads. Today, we have hair removal precise lasers, hair products, etc.

Which comes to another point. Science moves to a steady pace always, regardless of external pressure. No matter how many of you cry, spam emails or threaten to hang, nothing is going to happen faster than it’s supposed to. The reason why all of you think this goes slow af is because for the past decades the media and forums have blown this out of proportion and set false expectations.

I mostly agree but i really think (and hope) the rich guys among us will get their hands on this treatment in 2021. If I m right informed the infrastructure to make this available is built up parallel to the trials. Which shows their confidence!