Hair Extensions Or Crown Fixes Without Full Hairpiece

HighAboveTheseCrowns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 21 and my crown has been thinning for years (a lot now) and I'm about ready to give up. I wear my hair long and always have and it's an integral part of my identity (as well as something literally every girl I've ever dated or wanted to date has preferred so there's that).
To that end, are there any ways of improving the crown through extensions or some other form of cover up? I'm too young for a transplant and I would possibly be willing to consider one of those hairpieces that just covers the whole top of your head but not the sides. I wear my hair mostly covering the hairline but a little is visible so that would be important to me (look up Matt Mercer for the front I wear). Is that kind of partial piece a better solution? If so how often would it need changing, how often would it need changing, how does it hold up to exercise (I do a lot), how well would it blend with my current hair in look and feel?
TLDR I'm drowning in information and I have no idea where to start or what is best for me to maintain having long hair for at least a few more years

Noah

Reaction score
Welcome HATC,

If it is just your crown that is thinning /bald, and your hairline is intact, then you need a crown partial, sometimes called a crown topper. It is a circle of fine mesh with hair knotted onto it, made to fit exactly onto your thinning area. For best results you would shave the area below the topper to the extent it has any thinning hair left. You would hold the topper in place with special very strong double-sided tape (or you could use glue).

Hairpieces like this are highly visually undetectable, because all the edges are covered by your own hair and blend in with it. For a perfect colour match you would provide the supplier with a hair sample. You would need to use a sunscreen on the piece to avoid the sun eventually bleaching it to a different colour from your growing hair.

You would probably take it off for cleaning and re-attachment every week or two. Exercise would be no problem - the mesh base is very lightweight and breathable. These are really a very easy low-maintenance solution, and they give a great result.

Noah

HighAboveTheseCrowns

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be fair, it's not just my crown, I do have a receding hairline but a combo of long hair and always having had a far back hairline even as a child makes me not as bothered about that for now, it never seems to earn the same disgust or cause quite the same effect on my appearance as the thinning on my crown does. It does bother me but I'm happy to leave it until it becomes more extreme.
How do you reccomend I even start this whole process? Getting a good system and learning how to apply it and stuff seem really daunting and I feel like I would want professional help with it at least at first but then figuring out where will provide the toppers I need and whether they are good wuality and such is not easy. I figure once I get used to it, it'll get easier but right now it's pretty terrifying.
In terms of maintenance, can I shower in a system? I shower daily and wash my hair every three to four days and condition it every day, would I have to change any of that?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be fair, it's not just my crown, I do have a receding hairline but a combo of long hair and always having had a far back hairline even as a child makes me not as bothered about that for now, it never seems to earn the same disgust or cause quite the same effect on my appearance as the thinning on my crown does. It does bother me but I'm happy to leave it until it becomes more extreme.
How do you reccomend I even start this whole process? Getting a good system and learning how to apply it and stuff seem really daunting and I feel like I would want professional help with it at least at first but then figuring out where will provide the toppers I need and whether they are good wuality and such is not easy. I figure once I get used to it, it'll get easier but right now it's pretty terrifying.
In terms of maintenance, can I shower in a system? I shower daily and wash my hair every three to four days and condition it every day, would I have to change any of that?

Hi HATC,

Welcome. I am just about seven weeks into wearing my first hair system. I have long hair (14" / 32.5cm) and although in the beginning, it's a bit harder to deal with than a short hair system, I am loving it.

My situation is completely different than yours. I am quite a bit older than you and have been living as a bald man for twenty-four years (shaved, at first, and then naturally an N6).

Obviously, this bothers you, that is why you are here. I am not sure where you live, but you can get some tips on this forum on a GOOD, TRUSTED salon in your area, that can advise you on your options, based on seeing you.

I referred a young man, about 24, similar situation to you, with very long hair, to the guys I get my system from, and they actually advised him against getting something, for now. So you to find someone with that level of professionalism.

You MAY just want to do a topper, regardless of your hairline, and deal with your hairline, later on.

The systems out there are good, and the hair is, amazing. You don't need to get a short haircut to have a hair replacement! Be advised that anything over 6" (about 15.4 cm) is going to cost more.

With long hair and lace, you may want to use tape instead of adhesive, as it's easier to clean. For me, it is really really simple, and I do EVERYTHING myself. Removing, washing, drying, and re-applying takes all of an hour (not including air-dry time).

If you have two systems (I have another one on the way), you can take off the one, and put on the other, in literally a few minutes. And then clean and wash the other one. Less wear and tear with two systems.

I am really really happy. Most people who meet me, have no idea that it's not my own, naturally growing hair.

This forum is a great place for support. We are here to help you through it... we have all been there.

Good luck... let us know how we can help you.

Steve

Noah

Reaction score
Hi HATC

There are 2 ways to progress this:

(1) you go to a salon and get them to sell you a system. They will basically do everything for you. Obviously it's crucial that you get a good place. If you tell us where you are, we may be able to suggest somewhere that has already been tried and found to be good. Or

(2) you make a template and order off the Internet, and learn how to apply and look after your own system. It may seem daunting, but it's really not - you are just sticking a piece of fine netting or plastic film on a bald patch on your head; nothing more complicated than that. There are just a few simple techniques to pick up, and there is plenty of help on YouTube and elsewhere to guide your path, and of course here too. If you choose this route, again I can make some suggestions for decent sellers, and others can too.

You can shower in a system, although you need to leave it for 4 hours after you apply without getting the adhesive wet. You can also shampoo the system during your shower, but it isn't necessary. System hair doesn't get dirty as quickly as natural hair, because it is not connected to your sebaceous glands. For the average person it only needs to be shampooed once a week. The rest of the time you can just shampoo and condition your natural sidehair, and just let the warm shower water run through the hair system hair without shampoo. That is enough to keep the system and your scalp in good condition, and it avoids over-shampooing drying out the system hair prematurely.

HighAboveTheseCrowns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for the advice. I think a salon sounds like what I'd want at first just for the sake of confidence. I can see trying to reach round and shave and template my own crown being very difficult and I really wouldn't want to screw it up at first. I live in the north of England so Manchester, liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, anywhere around those areas really, I don't mind travelling a bit. Hopefully you guys or someone else know of a good place in my area.
Thanks for letting me know long hair is pricier, I guess I should have expected that. Currently mine is around halfway down my back but I don't mind getting it cut up to like shoulder length to save a bit of money, although that still would probably stray into more expensive territory.