Hair cuts

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to let me hair grow long, but the sides and back (ya know, the parts unaffected by male pattern baldness) are so damn thick it makes me look lopsided. Is there a trick to thinning your hair out in some parts without actually shortening them? I guess I could randomly cut some of it right against my head to kill some density. Is there a special tool that hair dressers have for something like this?

Thanks

ali777

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem for awhile. If you can find the answer let me know.

I find the only solution is to have regular haircuts. I get mine done every month or so.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i cut my hair regularly to avoid this problem... however you can also ask your barber to thin the hair at the sides and back - problem solved

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
...right. That's what I'm asking. How is that done?

Fortunately I asked a friend who's mother is a hair dresser. She said the two ways to do it were with thinning shears (a sissor on one side, teeth on the other device) that cuts some hair and not others. Use this about a 1/2 inch from the scalp and it will remove some of the bulk. Try to do it evenly in sections. The method involves a razor, raise some of your hair with a comb and run the razor along it. This slices pieces off the individual hairs so they are finner.

ali777

Reaction score
Avery said:
...right. That's what I'm asking. How is that done?

Fortunately I asked a friend who's mother is a hair dresser. She said the two ways to do it were with thinning shears (a sissor on one side, teeth on the other device) that cuts some hair and not others. Use this about a 1/2 inch from the scalp and it will remove some of the bulk. Try to do it evenly in sections. The method involves a razor, raise some of your hair with a comb and run the razor along it. This slices pieces off the individual hairs so they are finner.

Now that you say it, most of the hair dressers I've been to use thinning shears. I didn't know what it was for or what it was called, but it fits the description you've given. I've also noticed that one hairdresser used razors on my hair once.

My haircut involves me telling them how I want my hair and then answering their questions about my job. I never ask what they are doing with my hair, maybe next time I should get more involved :whistle:

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol, I'm the exact opposite. I hate talking to the person whose cutting my hair. It's a sensitive area with me, I want them to shut up and focus, lol.