Hair Cut Approach When Using Concealers

Gaz121

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using concealers for over 15 years and been cutting my own hair over that period. I've been too embarrassed to walk into a salon with no concealer in my hair to get a hair cut and have to explain that I use concealers and therefore need it cut a certain way!

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem and if you also decide just to cut your own hair instead of facing the embarrassment of a salon?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cut my own yes, but that is a byproduct of thinning and so is using concealers but I don't skip the salon because I have to cut it a certain way which I don't even need to. Not sure why you would need to cut it in a certain way?

Gaz121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cut my own yes, but that is a byproduct of thinning and so is using concealers but I don't skip the salon because I have to cut it a certain way which I don't even need to. Not sure why you would need to cut it in a certain way?
I would like to get it cut at a salon as they'll obviously do a better job than me but I'd have to walk in there with no concealer in my hair which will be quite embarrassing as I always go out into the public wearing concealers.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to get it cut at a salon as they'll obviously do a better job than me but I'd have to walk in there with no concealer in my hair which will be quite embarrassing as I always go out into the public wearing concealers.

Yes, of course, embarrassment of going to the saloon is a different thing which many of us with diffuse thinning suffer from.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
I go to the salon with it in my hair all the time. They wash it out and I get the stylist to shape my hair to emphasize the hair i have. They see thinning hair all the time, you’re not unique. They won’t think anything of it. A good stylist can improve the situation. Be up front about it, you want to get the best look you can.

Generally that means shorter, choppier styles on top, with lots of texture, (faux hawkish, etc). Keep the sides and back very short, maybe to the skin, with some type of fade in to the top. Depends on how thin on top you are, (fade comb over). There is proportion of sides to top that a stylist can help with.

Then use a volumizing hair spray and your concealer to fluff out the top. You want as much bounce in the top as you can get, while maintaining a matte finish to the hair.

Get it right and you’ll feel better. Stick with a stylist once you’ve found your look, so they get to know you, and what works, and maintain the look your after.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not like they will tell you to buzz, they would just lose a customer by doing that.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just go in with a hat on, as soon as you sit down, take the hat off. Only your salon, and like 4 people you don't know will see. Lots of people are bald, nobody cares. They're worrying about their own problems.

Gaz121

My Regimen
Reaction score
After giving it some thought, I think I'll just get a mobile hair dresser to come round my house

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, they show up at the door, they expect a 90 year old woman who can't walk but instead they get a 20-something shy dude that acts like one. :p

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's probably nothing that bad that no salon has ever seen before. (then again, some of these
places are known for "gossiping").

If it feels bad for you, just go far away and get it done (far enough so nobody knows you).

Make an appointment far in advance. That way, if you cancel, no hard feelings and
no bitter feelings towards you.

Young&thinning

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe you could go to a salon that also cater for wig's etc? The reasoning behind this is because the staff will likely not judge if you have thinning hair and want a trim because they've seen it all before :)

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best I can suggest is cut the sides and back short, keep the top long so you have wiggle room.