Hahahaha - Funny looking through some pics on this forum...

ikaponthus

Reaction score
I was just browsing through some pictures on this forum and MY GOD. Some of you guys just crack me up. I swear that half of the photos I see here and on other "hair loss" forum sites the guy complaining isn't even going bald. They're on Rogaine and Finasteride and god knows what else and I sit there staring at the photograph trying to figure out what the hell they are on about. The go on about how they've made such good progress but to me their "after" photo looks just the same as their "before" photo ... normal and not balding. It just cracks me up.

Personally I try not to make a big deal out of my receeding hairline. I'm still young, I shave my hair completely and just ignore it. I haven't had any problems with girls or anything else. But I DO have one. I AM going bald. Man there is no way I would be experimenting with finasteride etc. if I were some of you blokes.

My 2c.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Well put. On several accounts.

For many guys, their biggest enemy isnt their hair loss. Its their obsessive compulsiveness.

Granted, when you first start losing your hair, you DO freak out. I did it too. But there is absolutely no reason why a new hair loss sufferer should be using both Propecia and Rogaine.

HairLossTalk.com

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:

For many guys, their biggest enemy isnt their hair loss. Its their obsessive compulsiveness.

Granted, when you first start losing your hair, you DO freak out. I did it too. But there is absolutely no reason why a new hair loss sufferer should be using both Propecia and Rogaine.

HairLossTalk.com

I disagree. Why would you just use part of the proven treatments?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree that some people seem to have very little loss in their pictures, but we should bear in mind 2 things -

1. Slight loss/diffuse loss is usually very difficult to see in photos although it IS obvious to the sufferer.

2. Even very slight male pattern baldness is something to take seriously because as we all know, it doesn't usually just stop but will progress, so better to worry about it at the beginning when you still have a chance to maintain than wait until you have lost a lot.

foeplay

Reaction score
global said:
1. Slight loss/diffuse loss is usually very difficult to see in photos although it IS obvious to the sufferer.

I have to agree, cus when i look in the mirror I see the outline of my scalp through my hair, and in pics its harder to tell. Thats why I freak out.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Hahahaha - Funny looking through some pics on this forum

ikaponthus said:
I was just browsing through some pictures on this forum and MY GOD. Some of you guys just crack me up. I swear that half of the photos I see here and on other "hair loss" forum sites the guy complaining isn't even going bald. They're on Rogaine and Finasteride and god knows what else and I sit there staring at the photograph trying to figure out what the hell they are on about. The go on about how they've made such good progress but to me their "after" photo looks just the same as their "before" photo ... normal and not balding. It just cracks me up.

Personally I try not to make a big deal out of my receeding hairline. I'm still young, I shave my hair completely and just ignore it. I haven't had any problems with girls or anything else. But I DO have one. I AM going bald. Man there is no way I would be experimenting with finasteride etc. if I were some of you blokes.

My 2c.

Yep, Agree 100%.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Justlooking said:
HairlossTalk said:

HairLossTalk.com

Because if they are in the beginning stages of hairloss then propecia might be the only thing they need to successfully maintain their hair without having to use minoxidil and possibly hope for a little bit of regrowth. I wish I didn't have to use minoxidil and now its a life long commitment.

Don't get me wrong, god knows where I would be without minoxidil in my regimen, but if I started using propecia alone when I first started loosing then I would be in a better position now.

Also, down the road if the thinning starting becoming more agressive then you can add minoxidil at that point, instead of using all your big guns in the beginning.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Justlooking said:

Countless reasons...

1) Because you have to make this stuff last for 10 to 20 years? Why use up all your options on day one when you can do what I have done, and use nothing but "DHT Inhibitors" for 6 years? I haven't even touched rogaine yet and I've maintained a full head of hair on Propecia (and the like) alone. If and when this stops working for me, I will add rogaine. Whats the guy who uses both up front gonna do when they stop working?

2) Because Propecia works fine for brand new hair loss sufferers all by itself.

3) Because you want to minimize the expense.

4) Because you want to minimize the difficulty of the regimen.

5) Because you want to minimize the potential side effects.

6) Because Rogaine and Propecia together are intended for guys who have lots tons of hair already and need to regrow it.

For a brand new hair loss sufferer whose hair loss can only be detected by him, or others if they look really really really carefully ... Propecia alone is enough. I am not trying to be coarse here, but simply put, a lot of us here deal with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It runs rampant on these sites. It results in a guy being told point blank: Propecia is all you need, and the guy ignoring that advice and using 6 or 7 different treatments along with Propecia, instead. Its the "freakout" mode that causes this, and thats why I named the learning section on this site "Don't Panic". Easier said than done though!

HairLossTalk.com

ikaponthus

Reaction score
I agree with HairlossTalk Moderator 100%.

I think a lot of people suffer 90% from obssessing over hairloss and 10% over actual hairloss.

Now I'm not holding myself up as some kind of pin-up for everyone else, but I didn't even notice that I was going bald until I receeded quite a fair amount! It took my friends to point it out to me and I was like, "Holly sh*t, they're right!". I can still remember the first day I pulled my hair back and realised how receeded it was. And that was probably after years. I mean what do you guys do, stare in the mirror and count every single hair growing from your scalp!?

It's amazing. I didn't notice mine until I had a massive V-shape on my forehead and a hairline that stretched to the middle of my head at the temples ... and some people here are on a heavier regime than me and I can't even tell they're going bald looking at the photos!

I mean each to their own. But something tells me these people have bigger problems than hair loss. Even if I went totally bald I wouldn't care that much. I shave my head already.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
not to be nasty, but i'm sorry, your reaction to those of us to have full heads of hair is the same reaction i have to many of you.

how the f*&$ could you wait until you're freaking obviously bald until you started treatments. so many guys here confuse me, because they complain about regiments, but no regiment is going to change the fact you're already bald.

ikaponthus

Reaction score
harey said:
not to be nasty, but i'm sorry, your reaction to those of us to have full heads of hair is the same reaction i have to many of you.

how the f*&$ could you wait until you're freaking obviously bald until you started treatments. so many guys here confuse me, because they complain about regiments, but no regiment is going to change the fact you're already bald.
Mate it's a matter of how much you stare at yourself in the mirror. I started a regime when I noticed. And I was fairly receeded when I first noticed it was happening.

I certianly was not frequenting Internet forums and undergoing heavy drug therapy when my baldness was so minute that a stranger couldn't even see anything wrong after examining close-up photographs. It's just ridiculous. Some of the photos I've seen on these forums I seriously doubt the person is even going bald at all. It's a little bit pathetic to be honest.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah!

When the bald reaper was knocking at my door I was young and free, I was not staring in the mirror everyday and obsessing about every facet of my image, I was mostly drunk or in the middle of some hardcore sex act (often with hundreds of animals) It took me years, I mean like 5 or 6 years before it dawned on me that my thinning hair was not getting any better.

I do often see photos of people on here with zero hair loss who are on finasteride, minoxidil, Nizoral and Spironolactone and wonder if their real problem is not elsewhere.

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Justlooking said:

Countless reasons...

1) Because you have to make this stuff last for 10 to 20 years? Why use up all your options on day one when you can do what I have done, and use nothing but "DHT Inhibitors" for 6 years? I haven't even touched rogaine yet and I've maintained a full head of hair on Propecia (and the like) alone. If and when this stops working for me, I will add rogaine. Whats the guy who uses both up front gonna do when they stop working?

2) Because Propecia works fine for brand new hair loss sufferers all by itself.

3) Because you want to minimize the expense.

4) Because you want to minimize the difficulty of the regimen.

5) Because you want to minimize the potential side effects.

6) Because Rogaine and Propecia together are intended for guys who have lots tons of hair already and need to regrow it.

For a brand new hair loss sufferer whose hair loss can only be detected by him, or others if they look really really really carefully ... Propecia alone is enough. I am not trying to be coarse here, but simply put, a lot of us here deal with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It runs rampant on these sites. It results in a guy being told point blank: Propecia is all you need, and the guy ignoring that advice and using 6 or 7 different treatments along with Propecia, instead. Its the "freakout" mode that causes this, and thats why I named the learning section on this site "Don't Panic". Easier said than done though!

HairLossTalk.com

Ok, I agree with the assessment that initial hairloss could just be cured by one treatment. However, after you hit NW3 or even 2 I think you should be on the big 3 treatments

ikaponthus

Reaction score
Justlooking,

What do you mean "should" be?

You have forgot to count that some people just do not care that much. They think, "Well I'll try minoxodil and if doesn't work then meh. pfft."

It's really not that big a deal. Which is the very point of my original post. Some people just care way too much. I mean it's only hair. Sure, I'd LOVE to regrow some, even if I just stop my baldness I would be very happy. But if neither of those things happen it's no big deal. And it really shouldn't be to anyone else either. Like Radio has already mentioned, there's much more to life than the fuzz growing out the top of your scalp! And if you're too busy concentrating on the fuzz you'll miss everything else in your life worth seeing!

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
I say should be in that if you're trying to do everything you can at this point the big three is probably your best bet and you should step up from your one product attempt. If you've given up on products and are ok with hair loss why would you even come to this site?

G

Hi, look at me. This is me after treatment, my temples and hairline have filled in like an old crack that was filled with PollyFilla.

TMJ_1991.jpg

neotokyo

Reaction score
I think people here fear their hairloss and post pics(even though hairloss not readily shown) is because of their young age(early 20s). When I was that age, if I saw ANY hairloss at all I might have been really paranoid also.
As they reach late 20s, slight hairloss may become more acceptable.