had to drop finasteride... whats next?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
so since i wanted to get on something quick - here is my new regimen. Might be temporary, but we will see how it works. so far, no itching or shedding due to stopping finasteride.

morning: spironolactone cream to temples
mon, wed, fri: nizoral 2%
tues, thurs, sat: reg shampoo and tricomin shampoo after
nights: foam on the temples

what do you think?

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
inland said:
so what ingredients do you believe are the most superior topical antiandrogens?

Well, I think that RU58841 is probably the most effective topical antiandrogen ever developed, but the stuff costs an arm and a leg, and is extraordinarily difficult to obtain.
RU58841 costs me around $100 per month and can easily be ordered from the internet, so it isn't that difficult to obtain.

Though if you have problems with finasteride, I would consider RU58841, Fluridil or spironolactone. If you can afford it the two former are likely better.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
first said:
RU58841 costs me around $100 per month and can easily be ordered from the internet, so it isn't that difficult to obtain.

You and I must have different ideas about what the words "easy" and "difficult" mean! :)

BTW, other factors which I didn't even mention before are those of reliability and consistency. Is this black market (or gray market) version of RU58841 that's ordered "under the table" from a Chinese chemical company the real thing? How pure is it? What kind of quality control do they have over there? Is that company reliable, or is the whole thing one big crapshoot?

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
first said:

You and I must have different ideas about what the words "easy" and "difficult" mean! :)

BTW, other factors which I didn't even mention before are those of reliability and consistency. Is this black market (or gray market) version of RU58841 that's ordered "under the table" from a Chinese chemical company the real thing? How pure is it? What kind of quality control do they have over there? Is that company reliable, or is the whole thing one big crapshoot?
A couple of clicks on a computer is easy in my book :)

Of course, while ordering any substance on the internet you have to be a bit careful. But if you do some research beforehand you can minimize the risks. I've never had any bad experience from ordering online and I order everything and have done so for years. Even the RU58841 I order works.

And you almost stole my avatar :(

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
first said:

Huh?? Don't you have to go to your bank to WIRE your money to the company, then wait patiently for a considerable amount of time (possibly as long as a month or two) for them to actually make it, then hold your breath as they're shipping it to you, praying that it's not seized by Customs (and all that in addition to the questions about overall quality and purity that I mentioned before)?? Does all that sound like an "easy" process? :)

first said:
And you almost stole my avatar :(

Yes, I just noticed that! :)

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe first is getting RU from another source other than directly from faith-eagle(who most likely DOES get it from faith-eagle to resell), hence not needing to wire transfer. Correct me if im wrong.

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
first said:

Huh?? Don't you have to go to your bank to WIRE your money to the company, then wait patiently for a considerable amount of time (possibly as long as a month or two) for them to actually make it, then hold your breath as they're shipping it to you, praying that it's not seized by Customs (and all that in addition to the questions about overall quality and purity that I mentioned before)?? Does all that sound like an "easy" process? :)
Nuli is correct, I'm ordering from a secondary source (whom in turn get it from faith-eagle). So all it took was a couple of clicks and then a week or two later pick it up a hundred meters from my current position, as easy as it can get :)

I'm not worried about it being seized by customs as it's not illegal to import it to Sweden, the worst case scenario is that I would have to pay customs (25% additional cost, which has not happened). It did happen when I imported some AG1478 (which I ordered from a large laboratory, so it was officially marked) though but I can live with a chance of a 25% increased cost.

I wish there was some generic fluridil though, as it would save quite a bit of cash.

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:

I'm not talking about this particular drug, but I'm never worried about customs. I regularly buy things from China and I never had any problems. (back in the 90s I has a summer job in an import/export company and I had to talk to those Chinese exporters everyday. They were really friendly and approachable...)

As far as I know, importing drugs without a license is ILLEGAL. If the customs get the slightest inkling about the content of the package, the package would probably be seized. However, they have the tendency of ignoring or tolerating small packages.

The Russian roulette analogy is a good one... There is an element of risk, but the risk is small, like in the Russian roulette.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
uhhh can we get back on topic?

inland said:
so since i wanted to get on something quick - here is my new regimen. Might be temporary, but we will see how it works. so far, no itching or shedding due to stopping finasteride.

morning: spironolactone cream to temples
mon, wed, fri: nizoral 2%
tues, thurs, sat: reg shampoo and tricomin shampoo after
nights: foam on the temples

what do you think?

I just wanted to say that i dont really like spironolactone cream. wherever i put it, the hair feels really greasy and looks thin like when i have gel in it. is there any way to avoid this? maybe i can put it in at night before bed and wet and style my hair in the morning?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
i wanted to bump this back up because now that i have been off finasteride for almost a month, i can tell

i think over the past couple years, i have been in denial about my sexual sides. the past couple of days i noticed a big difference, and things are getting back to normal. i didnt give it enough time last time i stopped taking it. i actually got a little worse after stopping for a couple weeks. i will probably be writing in more detail later, but woah...

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Stick with it, you will be better in no time, your doctor is right.

Doctors are never wrong. :whistle:

Since the doctor is so great and all, why not ask him for am alternative to finasteride? He don't know?

mlb

Reaction score
inland, thanks for the update. i may be going off propecia myself despite excellent hair results. after 10 years on the drug i am beginning to realize that a lot of side effects have very gradually appeared without me really noticing. finasteride is a complicated drug and no one really knows exactly how it impacts your body over time. I also live a very healthy lifestyle and have been somewhat perplexed by some of the changes taking place.

i have been using Dr. Lee's 2% spironolactone - it's easy to apply if you have thick hair and dries quickly. I use a dropper to apply 1ml in the morning. i havent really noticed much of a smell, which some complain about.

keep us posted.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
inland said:
i see that proxiphen contains tretinoine, minoxidil, phenitoine, spironolactone, vared types of SOD, NANO, arginine, allantoine and NAC.....most of which i am unfamiliar with. is the magic in the combination of all ingredients?

This product has minoxidil and spironolactone in it? I heard that this is a bad combination when combined in the same bottle...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
timbo said:
This product has minoxidil and spironolactone in it? I heard that this is a bad combination when combined in the same bottle...

The designer of the product has his ways and means to keep the combination stabilized. He once was considering taking out a patent on his method.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
hairrific said:
Stick with it, you will be better in no time, your doctor is right.

Doctors are never wrong. :whistle:

Since the doctor is so great and all, why not ask him for am alternative to finasteride? He don't know?

layin down that sarcasm pretty thick, eh?

i am so happy that my body is returning to normal. i feel great. i know that finasteride is great for most people, i just believe i have a sensitive system.

oh, and i am currently on s5 sprio, foam, nizoral and tricomin, and doin great so far (knocking on wood). i will reevaluate my hair loss after 6 months and decide if i have to crank up my regimen or not.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick update: been off finasteride for 5 months, and no further loss. No further gains either. it has definitely been a struggle. I am on a pretty extensive regimen now:

every morning: proxhiphen N on temples (using VERY sparingly)

mon, wed, fri night: nizoral 3-5min in shower, then tricomin cond 3-5 min, tricomin spray after shower, foam 10 min after, s5 spironolactone cream 10 min after that

tues, thurs, sat, sun night: tricomin shampoo instead of nizoral, rest is same as mon, wed, fri

My regimen is not too costly because I use everything so sparingly. Im getting about 3x the length of dosage. So like every 6 months I spend a couple hundred bucks on a bunch of random hair loss products :woot:

oh and my sex life is finally back to normal. It came to me a few days ago.. I was 100% in denial about my sexual sides. I was BARELY getting by while on finasteride, and now that I have finally fully recovered, my body is returning to normal.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh and my sex life is finally back to normal. It came to me a few days ago.. I was 100% in denial about my sexual sides. I was BARELY getting by while on finasteride, and now that I have finally fully recovered, my body is returning to normal.

That's great news. Did you do anything in particular to get back to 100%, or simply relied on time?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
Mew said:

That's great news. Did you do anything in particular to get back to 100%, or simply relied on time?

just time. I actually finally accepted the fact that it would never be the same again, then months later, it got better again.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Good to hear you're maintaining.