Guy on the homepage here looks really bummed - is it just me?

curiosity

Reaction score
This is a tangent, but it's been catching my eye every time I come here and I wanted to ask if others had the same perspective.

Does that dude on the homepage, with his girl lying on his lap, look ridiculously depressed about hair loss? Like giant puppy dog eyes of sadness depressed?

Here's his picture:

Chick looks bummed too. Like "f***, why I haven't I dumped him yet" bummed. And he looks like he knows what she's thinking.

It's probably just me.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 158

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
haha! I have never thought about it that way but yes come to think about it, you are very right!! they do look like that! phahahaha

blondguy

Reaction score
Hah, I always try to avoid the main page because honestly seeing this guys face always made me feel a little bit worse about stuff. He does look depressed. Heck, his girlfriend does not look too happy either. I always found it a bit strange that they even used this photo. Unless its a "well at least your situation is not as bad as his."

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, since the first day I've tried to understand why that picture is there. If they were trying to give an upbeat, this isn't the end of your sex life type message, that picture doesn't fit.
If they were trying to give a, this guy is the common balding man and you can identify with him, not good looking not ugly, then that also doesn't fit because the guy looks like a German paparazzi photographer.

I guess they could have been trying to spur feelings of unhappiness or discontentment or disgust with one's hairloss. But I'd like to think that that isn't the case, because a goal like that would probably achieve more anxiety among viewers and thus spur more product buying.

Hopefully that isn't the case, and its a just an odd choice of banner-photo... =P

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know, it looks to me like she has that "Great, he left the toilet seat up again." look on her face.

resu

Reaction score
Yeah same, never quite managed to understand what they were trying to portray with that photo.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha.

Okay I'll bite.

home.jpg

1) He looks confident to me. That expression is one of quiet confidence.
2) He has a slight smile. The male mona lisa smile. Pleasant. Not horrified. Not depressed. A little crinkle upwards in his mouth. He's doing ok.
3) He's got a girl in his lap. In his arms. Even though he's losing hair. Life goes on. He can still live a happy life. Can still can have a family. Still loved by someone.
4) You can tell he's losing his hair, but you can't see how badly. It cuts off at the top. You just know its happening. Leaves a little mystery to allow every type of visitor to associate with him.
5) His age was perfect for the demographic of this site.
6) The girl is looking up, and he's looking forward and they're both thinking. Gives off a sense of - "Im here because I have a situation and I'm not sure what to do about it"
7) He's trendy. Hip haircut. Not ugly / Not Brad Pitt. Cool shirt.
8) He looks European for sure, which gives our European members a sense of familiarity, and gives our USA users a sense of "Ohhh hes so european looking thats cool".
9) He's got blue eyes, which the ladies (and our more dainty male members) will enjoy.
10) If he didn't have a girl in his arms, you might wonder about his sexuality, maybe, which provides familiarity to our members of this demographic.
11) She's attractive, yet approachable. A balding guy can get a pretty girl still ...

They're together, balding, content, a little concerned, and in need of some solutions.

Seemed perfect.

what were they trying to portray with that photo

"Now growl like a cougar!!"

zoolander.jpg

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
lol

ive never thought about it before.

the lad in the photo looks content enough, more out of relief that hes foudn a woman at all than because hes such a stud.

the woman seems to be looking away in disbelief that shes lumbered with a pasty baldy and is probably wondering what he'd look like with a gay beiber fringe.

the girl looks about 7-10 years older than him too.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It makes me wonder if they are a couple in real life or just strangers doing a modeling job together. Might explain the feeling of disconnection between the two.

- - - Updated - - -

It makes me wonder if they are a couple in real life or just strangers doing a modeling job together. Might explain the feeling of disconnection between the two.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
or maybe...he's sitting there feeling down and depressed about losing his hair and she is sitting there thinking ffs I love this guy no matter what and I'll stick by him and have his kids, it's just hair. why can't he be happy with just my attention...

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
or maybe...he's sitting there feeling down and depressed about losing his hair and she is sitting there thinking ffs I love this guy no matter what and I'll stick by him and have his kids, it's just hair. why can't he be happy with just my attention...

lol, that sounds like my girlfriend!

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I must be really weird. I just took the picture at face value and didn't over analyse it. Not like me at all. Guess the site owners can't win!

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I must be really weird. I just took the picture at face value and didn't over analyse it. Not like me at all. Guess the site owners can't win!
smoke a fatty and stare deeply into those baby blues and tell me what you think/feel

op has a good point, thats why i never come here stoned. the main pic is too intense

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I see what people are saying, and I guess it's open to interpretation. Maybe it says more about our thoughts on our own situation, which we then project onto the bloke!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
hahaahahahahahah ****ing funny!!:woot:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Models from a Stock Photos web site. Maybe also a couple. Uncertain. There were a few other pictures of them frolicking around on the couch in various poses. I often wonder if either of them stumble on this site and roar with laughter that they're the "Face" of HairLossTalk.com ...

Im still waiting for the email ...

Admin