Green tea elevates DHT and testosterone levels?

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
All I know is that I noticed (read: noticed, not started) my hairloss several months after I started taking green tea pills every day, and still do. My paranoid self begins to wonder....

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Now what?

It would be great to get to the bottom of this one. Everything you read sugguests that green tea and soy is good for your hair.

Example
http://www.hairloss-research.org/GreenT ... sSHBG.html

There is a clinically established inverse relationship between sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Studies have shown that those with Androgenetic Alopecia have lower circulating levels of SHBG compared to the non-balding controls.

There are several drugs (like oral antiandrogens) that elevate SHBG levels but have a host of side effects that limit their usage on a continuous basis in men.

There are also, however, two health enhancing compounds that elevate SHBG levels while offering additional health benefits and are side effect free. Green Tea Extract elevates SHBG while having the added benefit of reducing estrogen levels, which via an SHBG binding route can upregulate androgen activity. Soy isoflavones have also been shown in several studies to elevate SHBG levels and to be mildly anti-estrogenic.

In addition to a significantly lower incidents of most types of cancer, including prostate cancer and breast cancer, the oriental population whose traditional diet is abundant in soy isoflavones and green tea catechins have a drastically lower overall incidence of androgenetic alopecia and acne compared to the US.

Interestingly, those of Asian origin living in the US have an almost identical incidence of androgen mediated disorders (prostate cancer, BPH, hair loss) as the US general population.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read on that "male pattern baldness Research" site. I consider them to be the very bottom of the pecking order for reliable information.

Bryan

So

Established Member
Reaction score
The question still remains however whether or not Green Tea is actually beneficial or if it carries negative potential concerning your hair.

This post in actuality is quite significant in it's proposal because so many people resort to taking Green Tea Extract or drink Green Tea.

Personally, I have dropped Green Tea Extract out of the need to pop another capsule per day (tedious) but I drink Green Tea up to three times every single day not only because I love it but because of the anti oxidative benefits it provides.

This needs to be squashed! To think that this is even plausible bothers me because,

a) I don't smoke
b) Seldom do I ever drink coffee, and
c) What the hell will be my morning and night time fix if not Green Tea?

Damn.

If someone would propose a group of strategic questions surrounding these claims I would approach the researchers myself in my own time to yield answers but personally I do not know what needs to be asked.

Anyone?

sammy

Reaction score
fu*ken, one day soy is good for you the next its killing you,,, who to trust F*ck knows...... :)

me i dont like soy i stay away from it,, but eveyone to there own for green tea dont know....

CCS

Reaction score
I read that soy suppresses the thyroid. I'm going to keep taking my GTE until we get a concensus.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
So said:
The question still remains however whether or not Green Tea is actually beneficial or if it carries negative potential concerning your hair.

This post in actuality is quite significant in it's proposal because so many people resort to taking Green Tea Extract or drink Green Tea.

Personally, I have dropped Green Tea Extract out of the need to pop another capsule per day (tedious) but I drink Green Tea up to three times every single day not only because I love it but because of the anti oxidative benefits it provides.

This needs to be squashed! To think that this is even plausible bothers me because,

a) I don't smoke
b) Seldom do I ever drink coffee, and

Damn.

If someone would propose a group of strategic questions surrounding these claims I would approach the researchers myself in my own time to yield answers but personally I do not know what needs to be asked.

Anyone?

Green Rooibos Tea, is relaxing and high in antioxidents.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot.

Hopefully someone doesn't claim that this also is detrimental to hair. FFS.

Thanks

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Not so simple

I saw this on the news aswell, and it is not so simple as to say that soy causes cancer.

The study showed that soy can cause harm for people who already have cancer (and this was only in some people), however, it can prevent cancer in those people who don't already have it.

Therefore, for healthy people, it is definately a very good thing to include in your diet.

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Don't believe everything you read on that "male pattern baldness Research" site. I consider them to be the very bottom of the pecking order for reliable information.

Bryan

Doesn't say much about the products they sell then..does it :oops:

CCS

Reaction score
So steroid users should take green tea extract instead?

|||Pelo|||

Reaction score
Department of Otolaryngology, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA. adesfand@cdrewu.edu

The objective of this study was to examine the effects of polyphenolic compounds, present in noncommercially available green tea, on hair loss among rodents. In an experimental study, we randomly assigned 60 female Balb/black mice, which had developed spontaneous hair loss on the head, neck and dorsal areas into two equal groups; A (experimental) and B (control). Group A received 50% fraction of polyphenol extract from dehydrated green tea in their drinking water for six months. Group B received regular drinking water. Both groups were fed regular rodent diets (Purina Rodent Chow 5001) and housed individually in polycarbonate cages. The results showed that 33% of the mice in experimental Group A, who received polyphenol extract in their drinking water, had significant hair regrowth during six months of treatment (p = 0.014). No hair growth was observed among mice in the control group, which received regular water.

PMID: 16035581 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Citation

|||Pelo|||

Reaction score
Human hair growth enhancement in vitro by green tea epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG).Kwon OS, Han JH, Yoo HG, Chung JH, Cho KH, Eun HC, Kim KH.
Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Laboratory of Cutaneous Aging and Hair Research, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Institute of Dermatological Science, Seoul National University, 110-744 Seoul, Republic of Korea.

Green tea is a popular worldwide beverage, and its potential beneficial effects such as anti-cancer and anti-oxidant properties are believed to be mediated by epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a major constituent of polyphenols. Recently, it was reported that EGCG might be useful in the prevention or treatment of androgenetic alopecia by selectively inhibiting 5alpha-reductase activity. However, no report has been issued to date on the effect of EGCG on human hair growth. This study was undertaken to measure the effect of EGCG on hair growth in vitro and to investigate its effect on human dermal papilla cells (DPCs) in vivo and in vitro. EGCG promoted hair growth in hair follicles ex vivo culture and the proliferation of cultured DPCs. The growth stimulation of DPCs by EGCG in vitro may be mediated through the upregulations of phosphorylated Erk and Akt and by an increase in the ratio of Bcl-2/Bax ratio. Similar results were also obtained in in vivo dermal papillae of human scalps. Thus, we suggest that EGCG stimulates human hair growth through these dual proliferative and anti-apoptotic effects on DPCs.

PMID: 17092697 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Citation

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
So still no verdict?

So the jury is still out on this one then?

It would be great to find a definitive answer as this one impacts many people on this forum.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
The jury is asleep!

Studies say that Green Tea helps inhibit TGF-B but other say its harmful.

Talk about spinning my head round and round...

Reaction score
Well I feel that as with any good things controversies are associated and here the green tea has been chosen. If you take a look then you will find there are many persons who have been benefited from the green tea and exceptional cases can be found everywhere, but conclusions are reached judging by the majority and in this case I would say the green tea are one of the best supplements for health.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Since Green Tea was back on the boards mind and this topic got brought up I thought I would add that IMO this study that found megadoses of green tea caused elevations of testosterone and DHT in rats is actually, if anything, indicative of the antiandrogenic efect of EGCG that has been hinted at before - a boost in serum testosterone an DHT is exactly what you get from the use of systemic antiandrogens after all. Just foir anyone searching the archives or whatever. So counterintuitively perhaps I would say this in no way counts as a mark against green tea as a hair loss preventing tool.
hh

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
We'll ive been dring, on avg, 3 cups of green tea daily, and its deff, hasnt help my hair, cant say for sure if it hurt it, but i deff, think i lay off of it a drink more black or white tea .. as for soy is depends on which one you are talking, feremented or non fermented, i cnat recall which one is bad.good for you though

abcdefg

Reaction score
You know my forehead is getting more oily im getting acne there where I never had it before and im 26 and coincidently the front of my head is now really itchy and im seeing hair there miniaturize but I guess its a mature hairline. My question would be kind of off topic to this thread but where does coffee weigh in on the hairloss scale? is it more harmful or good? I drink maybe 3 cups a day now and im not sure its a habit I should keep or drop but it helps keep me awake so i dont fall asleep at work