Great Results Over A Few Years...than I Hit A Plateau.

Lil_Ribeye

My Regimen
Reaction score
So here's my story. I've used 5% minoxidil over the course of 3-4 yes. I use generics like Kirkland or even Walmart brand. In the beginning I would just dab it into spots but I would style my hair first and than hairspray it before dabbing the minoxidil for obvious reasons. Might have seen a hair or two grow but not much. Then I started actually applying it (rubbing) all over my head by hand after showering and drying. I've been able to see great results here and there but it's like the four seasons of the year. I get great results for a few weeks/months....then not much for a few weeks/months. So I started thinking about it. I looked at the way I was washing my hair. I was washing very vigorously with my fingernails (that's the way I've always washed) and I started looking at my hand when I washed....I would get a lot of really small hairs like 1 centimeter long when my hair on top is 2-3" long. Then I switched up to a very soft...just kindly lathering up my hair and even pouring water on my head to rinse off instead of the hard spraying that was coming out the nozzle. Wow! I was seeing some of the best growth of hair I've ever seen...especially on the hairline. But again..I've hit another plateau. In my case....something is there. I can't quite figure it out. I'm starting to think that over time the minoxidil build up tiny layers and layers making it harder to penetrate the follicle. I haven't been consistent with the shampoo either. Some shampoos work a whole lot better than others getting that old dried minoxidil off your scalp. I've used tresemme when I got great growth. But I would be inconsistent when I ran out and just use what's available. Anyways, the combination of cleaning your scalp really well without losing hair is very tricky. But I think some where that's the key to getting some great results with minoxidil. Has anybody seen this or have a similar experience? Advice?

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's very simple: Minoxidil's effectiveness will wear off without a DHT blocker.