Got My First Custom Hair System But Unhappy. Please Chime In.

throwaway322879

My Regimen
Reaction score
I won't go into too much detail but recently got my first hair system from a well known company in the UK. The actual quality of hair, the color matching and density I think is okay.

The issue I have is that it just feels very stubborn and I'm unable to style it the way I want to as the hair grows in weird directions and it isn't uniformly dense all over.

It feels like there is a crown and a part in the back and side which is just not fit for the hair style I want and I'm disappointed my hair style preference wasn't discussed during my consultation as I feel it would've changed everything about my order.

I came across these options ( imgur.com/lAvb3UG ) on another website and it appears that hair system come in many different styles depending on how you plan to wear it (i.e side part, slick back, freestyle). What does freestyle even mean?

Is anyone familiar with these different options and how to pick the best one for your desired hair cut?

I just wanted a completely symmetric, light density hair piece that I could style forward with some fringe, texture on top and a short back and sides, kind of like this guy ( imgur.com/DQt6OKc ) but instead I can't style mine this way as it seems it's built for this kind of haircut ( imgur.com/fGc7Uya ) which I can't style.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Throwaway

Yes, these options all relate to how the hair is knotted (or in the case of some skin systems, injected) into the base - in technical terms this is referred to as the ventilation. You can have a system ventilated so that the hairs lie forwards clinging to the scalp, or lie backwards in a slicked-back style, or go backwards in a looser style ("brushback"), or just come out in a neutral way which could be brushed in any direction ("freestyle"). You can also have the system ventilated so that it forms a natural parting in a particular location, and/or a crown swirl, or a cow's lick or widow's peak at the front. I would say you probably want a freestyle or brush-forward ventilation for the style you attached.

These options and the desired style ought really to have been discussed with you. However, if you have a lace base you can changed how the hairs sit. The ventilation depends on how the hairs are knotted to the strands of the mesh base. If you soak the base with warm water for 10 minutes, you will allow the hair to swell slightly and you will be able to reposition the hairs by tugging them very gently in the direction you want. When they dry again they will stay in the new position. This only works with knotted lace systems though. I emphasise very gently. When wet, the hairs will be vulnerable to being pulled out if you yank too hard.

Hope this is helpful.

throwaway322879

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Throwaway

Yes, these options all relate to how the hair is knotted (or in the case of some skin systems, injected) into the base - in technical terms this is referred to as the ventilation. You can have a system ventilated so that the hairs lie forwards clinging to the scalp, or lie backwards in a slicked-back style, or go backwards in a looser style ("brushback"), or just come out in a neutral way which could be brushed in any direction ("freestyle"). You can also have the system ventilated so that it forms a natural parting in a particular location, and/or a crown swirl, or a cow's lick or widow's peak at the front. I would say you probably want a freestyle or brush-forward ventilation for the style you attached.

These options and the desired style ought really to have been discussed with you. However, if you have a lace base you can changed how the hairs sit. The ventilation depends on how the hairs are knotted to the strands of the mesh base. If you soak the base with warm water for 10 minutes, you will allow the hair to swell slightly and you will be able to reposition the hairs by tugging them very gently in the direction you want. When they dry again they will stay in the new position. This only works with knotted lace systems though. I emphasise very gently. When wet, the hairs will be vulnerable to being pulled out if you yank too hard.

Hope this is helpful.

This was so helpful, thank you.

Yes I did pay for a fully customisable / bespoke hair system but was never one asked about density, direction of hair growth, texture, crowns, cow licks, parts, or even the style I wanted.

Do you think I should ask for a free replacement?

I'm entirely unhappy with my purchase.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Density should be discussed but ultimately every company/manufacturer has its own scale and this is not always reliable as the person making it decides.

Crown should have been asked, but it you havent put one a default usually happens.

The problem with partings is if its not 100% accurately made it causes more issues than say freestyle.

Cowlicks, texture, hair growth direction are never discussed unless you raise the issue and I have used 5 suppliers over the years.

If the quality of hair, the colour matching, size, base and density is fine then I don't think you will have much joy.as these are the main issues.

Noah

Reaction score
No harm in asking I guess, but I dont really fancy your chances if I am honest. It's a grey area whether they were responsible for asking you what you wanted or you had the responsibility to tell them. If you can point to a specific flaw in the unit, or a failure to meet a specific characteristic that you asked for you would be on more solid ground. It might be easier to try to get them to correct the existing piece.