Got a knot in hair system, how do i untangle it?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where is it from?
It's from Lavivid. By no means am I looking to bash their quality, to me (a complete hair system novice and newb) the hair feels soft and looks really natural. It just knots up really easy after being wet, maybe I'm just not doing things right.
This is just what the stylist said, she feels the hair tangling and knotting up after getting wet is indicative of lower quality hair and she says there was no adhesive in hair, just normal knots and tangles which she says is uncharacteristic to the extreme in which they're occurring.
How quickly did she get them out & do you know what she did specifically? It seems to be the worst idea ever to run water, or water with shampoo, through a unit that has any residual adhesive as it spreads like wildflower. I found out, by accident, that only conditioner/serum works.

Who was your supplier? I, two years ago, kept getting this problem from the liquid adhesive I used on my hairline, & blamed it on my supplier, which was Lord.

If there is such a thing, I've had worse quality hair & it's been all fine since I switched to UTS/poly.
Man it took her a while to work with it and get em out, I'd say 45 minutes or so. There were 3 pretty large knots though.

She says she used alcohol to work them out and that it was effective. She said there was no adhesive in the hair, but rather just knots and tangles from what she attributed to "not high quality hair." She said if I wash hair, to prevent more tangles I should immediately spray some leave in Conditioner in and brush it in straightening the hair.

As I was driving home from stylist there had already formed another very small tangle. I worked with it when I got home and ended up accidentally pulling out a small tangled bit of hair.

I honestly dont know what to make of it. Lavivid has a pretty good reputation and the hair looks and feels great...the lace is great, it's so cool, not hot at all, it's like I'm not even wearing. And I am a very hot natured person...it feels great, and when it's not tangled the hair looks great.

But it's not like the stylist has an ulterior motive and is pushing the system she sells on me (which is Hairskeen). She knows I cant afford her $1000 package....she just advised that i go with a different supplier next time i order bc she feels the hair is not very good quality.

I just cant help but think that maybe there is something I'm doing wrong that is contributing to the problem.

I may contact Tina at Lavivid and see if she can offer some guidance or help.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's from Lavivid. By no means am I looking to bash their quality, to me (a complete hair system novice and newb) the hair feels soft and looks really natural. It just knots up really easy after being wet, maybe I'm just not doing things right.
This is just what the stylist said, she feels the hair tangling and knotting up after getting wet is indicative of lower quality hair and she says there was no adhesive in hair, just normal knots and tangles which she says is uncharacteristic to the extreme in which they're occurring.

Man it took her a while to work with it and get em out, I'd say 45 minutes or so. There were 3 pretty large knots though.

She says she used alcohol to work them out and that it was effective. She said there was no adhesive in the hair, but rather just knots and tangles from what she attributed to "not high quality hair." She said if I wash hair, to prevent more tangles I should immediately spray some leave in Conditioner in and brush it in straightening the hair.

As I was driving home from stylist there had already formed another very small tangle. I worked with it when I got home and ended up accidentally pulling out a small tangled bit of hair.

I honestly dont know what to make of it. Lavivid has a pretty good reputation and the hair looks and feels great...the lace is great, it's so cool, not hot at all, it's like I'm not even wearing. And I am a very hot natured person...it feels great, and when it's not tangled the hair looks great.

But it's not like the stylist has an ulterior motive and is pushing the system she sells on me (which is Hairskeen). She knows I cant afford her $1000 package....she just advised that i go with a different supplier next time i order bc she feels the hair is not very good quality.

I just cant help but think that maybe there is something I'm doing wrong that is contributing to the problem.

I may contact Tina at Lavivid and see if she can offer some guidance or help.
If you have issues with the system ALWAYS contact the factory!

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have issues with the system ALWAYS contact the factory!
Yea man, I'll email Tina at Lavivid.i guess just being so new to this I didnt know if these issues were stylist related, or my own failings, or system quality. Starting to look like the latter.
Thanks man, I'll follow your advice:)

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's always the possibility you can receive a bad system. However, I think it's likely an understandable learning curve here. A bad system would either have poor ventilation/ bald areas or bad application of poly skim coat/ or poor knotting...resulting in excessive shedding. Other than that there's not much to mess up. Of course there is always the possibility of extremely damaged hair; however, in my experience that's pretty much the norm With Indian hair being jet black. They acid wash and strip all color including the cuticle in order to reapply color.

If you hop in the shower and rub shampoo around, like bio hair, you will absolutely tangle it. It's best to comb the hair, on top forward.... and down around the perimeter...wet it... add shampoo in the direction it's combed, then comb in various directions to distribute shampoo or conditioner. Very wide tooth comb of course.

Also, jumping in the shower with styled hair and allowing water to beat down with pressure, will encourage tangles as well. It's always best to comb everything out and control which directions it goes.

This is the norm from my experience with multiple vendors. However, she may be correct. Virgin European hair very well may not have this problem. The route cause is probably from the severely over processed cuticle-less indian hair that's the used on most units. With time we learn to work around/with it.

I would like to try European hair; however, Lavivid only offers it in a thicker skin, not .03 Perhaps, I will, when stock is more readily available from another vendor in .03

My understanding, at this time, is that .03 polys are being supplied at .04 to .05, as new employees are perfecting their craft.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back, @Jake1979.

From my experience, you seldom receive a piece with "bad," "damaged" hair. The hair in these pieces starts off pretty dead and dry, probably coated with silicone/serum, and it will twist up in the shower the way @TooBad said. You just can't be rough with toupee hair.

That said, I wouldn't rule out adhesive in the hair just because a hairstylist said so. For much of the Pandemic, I wore a French Lace piece attached by Got2B for daily use. I didn't wear it every day but the unit lasted a year or two, until I introduced adhesive into the picture.

I did a one-layer Ghosbond application, and the lace held perfectly. Everything was neatly executed, or seemingly so.

I removed the piece Walker's Lace Release a few days later.

As Lace Release is oily, I needed to now wash the piece. As soon as I did - and it was brushed out - some oily adhesive sludge took over the piece and immediately ruined it. Dreadlocks everywhere, immediately.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

From my experience, you seldom receive a piece with "bad," "damaged" hair. The hair in these pieces starts off pretty dead and dry, probably coated with silicone/serum, and it will twist up in the shower the way @TooBad said. You just can't be rough with toupee hair.

That said, I wouldn't rule out adhesive in the hair just because a hairstylist said so. For much of the Pandemic, I wore a French Lace piece attached by Got2B for daily use. I didn't wear it every day but the unit lasted a year or two, until I introduced adhesive into the picture.

I did a one-layer Ghosbond application, and the lace held perfectly. Everything was neatly executed, or seemingly so.

As Lace Release is oily, I needed to now wash the piece. As soon as I did - and it was brushed out - some oily adhesive sludge took over the piece and immediately ruined it. Dreadlocks everywhere, immediately.
You should have used tape with a lace base.
Glue is crap for lace unless it's an exposed hairline.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's always the possibility you can receive a bad system. However, I think it's likely an understandable learning curve here. A bad system would either have poor ventilation/ bald areas or bad application of poly skim coat/ or poor knotting...resulting in excessive shedding. Other than that there's not much to mess up. Of course there is always the possibility of extremely damaged hair; however, in my experience that's pretty much the norm With Indian hair being jet black. They acid wash and strip all color including the cuticle in order to reapply color.

If you hop in the shower and rub shampoo around, like bio hair, you will absolutely tangle it. It's best to comb the hair, on top forward.... and down around the perimeter...wet it... add shampoo in the direction it's combed, then comb in various directions to distribute shampoo or conditioner. Very wide tooth comb of course.

Also, jumping in the shower with styled hair and allowing water to beat down with pressure, will encourage tangles as well. It's always best to comb everything out and control which directions it goes.

This is the norm from my experience with multiple vendors. However, she may be correct. Virgin European hair very well may not have this problem. The route cause is probably from the severely over processed cuticle-less indian hair that's the used on most units. With time we learn to work around/with it.

I would like to try European hair; however, Lavivid only offers it in a thicker skin, not .03 Perhaps, I will, when stock is more readily available from another vendor in .03

My understanding, at this time, is that .03 polys are being supplied at .04 to .05, as new employees are perfecting their craft.
Man, thank u, such great info and advice, as always you are a wealth of knowledge brother and I appreciate you sharing all that with me! Me being a guy who knows very very little, your experience and knowledge is priceless!

I'm honestly not sure if stylist is correct about hair quality being bad. I'm leaning towards the combo of new hair characteristics (like u described) plus mostly my MANY rookie mistakes. I didnt brush hair much in fear I would cause shedding, used alot of leave in Conditioner and styled with my hand flattening hair, wore hat to work out in at gym and continued putting water on hair and flattening it with hand....then finally washed it and had tangling. It's like I washed tangled styled hair. I think I caused all or most of that.
Now I'm brushing (deep from base) thoroughly regularly and keeping all the hair straight and making sure in doesnt get matted up.
I'm gonna see if being more diligent with all that helps, and I'll absolutely follow your washing advice too, and hopefully that'll solve the problem. Thanks again man!

Hey man, thanks also for your info and experience and advice ! I really appreciate tips and knowledge from guys like u who have been through this thing for a while and learned from mistakes and successes!

Yea man, you're right, stylist could be mistaken, adhesive may have played a role. And it's good to know that new hair coating can also play a factor, I didnt know that until after reading u and TooBad's recent posts.

I just really think I did everything wrong and created the perfect recipe for tangling. I'm trying to remedy that following yalls tips and advice, and I'm making a much bigger effort to brush thoroughly from base to prevent knots.
Stylist also said maybe dont wear cap over head to gym to be safe...idk, maybe I'll leave hat in car when working out.

I just hate to blame system provider, especially since it may very well be all my own fault and I really like the hair and lace base and it's been great so far minus the tangling. The stylist may have just been blaming the hair quality to avoid blaming me, maybe she was afraid to offend me and lose my business, idk.
I'm pretty amazed at how cool and comfortable the unit feels, honestly like nothing is on my head. Hopefully it's no more issues bc I'd like to keep using them and like the lace and price is ok.

That's wild about how glue ruined your system that time. Man, that's a rough lesson, but I appreciate usharing that, I'd like to avoid that if possible. I guess that's pretty much worse case scenario with systems.

shahpriti

My Regimen
Reaction score
4 Easy Steps To Make A Hair Detangler At Home

What you need:
The best part about this detangler spray is that it requires no such ingredient that’s difficult to procure. All you need is:

- A spray bottle
- Hot water
- Leave-in conditioner
- Measuring cup
- Essential oil (optional)

1. Start with Leave-in Conditioner
Squeeze in three tablespoons of your favorite leave-in hair conditioner into the spray bottle. Leave-in conditioner helps in protecting hair against hair damage caused by trapped moisture in hair strands and aids detangling.

2. Add Hot Water
Add around 500ml of hot water to the leave-in condition in the spray bottle.

3. Add Essential Oil
Depending on your hair type, texture and need, choose an essential oil that you’d want to add to your detangler spray.

4. Shake The Mixture And Start Using
Shake the mixture vigorously to mix it thoroughly. It’s better to shake it every time before using it so that it is applied in even concentration every time you use it.

Source: Femina.in