Got a knot in hair system, how do i untangle it?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I washed my hair for first time in sink and now I have a large knot....how do o fix this?

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Spray ample conditioner on it, then tease it out slowly, preferably with a single pronged tool - I have a comb that has a pointed handle which is ideal for tangles. You want to be fully in control when untangling, and you can't be with a comb or a brush as the other parts will be tugging on different sections of the piece.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Spray ample conditioner on it, then tease it out slowly, preferably with a single pronged tool - I have a comb that has a pointed handle which is ideal for tangles. You want to be fully in control when untangling, and you can't be with a comb or a brush as the other parts will be tugging on different sections of the piece.
Thanks Jimlad, I appreciate the tips and advice.
It's now two knots kind of close together....not sure if some adhesive got through the lace when I washed it in sink, or if it's just your typical hair system tangled knots. One of them is pretty tightly bound.

I'll try what suggested with spray conditioner and single prong tool.

I'm kind of scared to damage hair, so I'll try very gently.

If I'm not able to untangle the knots, is there any risk in just leaving them knotted until my next salon appointment in 9 days when stylist can fix them? Can it potentially damage hair to leave knots for that long?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Jimlad, I appreciate the tips and advice.
It's now two knots kind of close together....not sure if some adhesive got through the lace when I washed it in sink, or if it's just your typical hair system tangled knots. One of them is pretty tightly bound.

I'll try what suggested with spray conditioner and single prong tool.

I'm kind of scared to damage hair, so I'll try very gently.

If I'm not able to untangle the knots, is there any risk in just leaving them knotted until my next salon appointment in 9 days when stylist can fix them? Can it potentially damage hair to leave knots for that long?
This is the most annoying aspect of hair systems in my opinion. I've had a lot of trouble in this regard. I believe it's adhesive-related.

Of all things, SERUM works best I've found in getting the the adhesive out and allowing you to untangle. Just rub it in well, in dry hair, and tease the hair apart.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the most annoying aspect of hair systems in my opinion. I've had a lot of trouble in this regard. I believe it's adhesive-related.

Of all things, SERUM works best I've found in getting the the adhesive out and allowing you to untangle. Just rub it in well, in dry hair, and tease the hair apart.
Thanks man! Yea, I tried to get it untangled but didnt have much success and was pulling hairs out.

The way it's all matted together feels like it may have gotten some adhesive in there.
If that's the case can the stylist get it out and fix it or is it ruined?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Knots can be caused by a couple of things.

1. Too much product built up in the hairs.

2. Adhesive in the hairs.

3. Not combing through before washing.

If you have washed the hair, like in your case, it will make them worse.

In the case of glue, the idea is to work some conditioner or C-22 into the knots, massage with your fingers, and pull out glue, while holding the hair with your other hand.

It takes a huge amount of patience.

Other tangles you can just use conditioner, and gently (very) try and comb out the hair from the ends in.

Cutting them out will just leave a hole.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sometimes, once water's been introduced and the hair has been swished around, allowing the adhesive to run all through it, I've had piece that were unsalvagable. I had this issue w my first pieces because I underestiminated how destrustive a little adhesive in the hair can be,

Now, after basically everything, including traditional solvents like C22, I think hair serum is the ultimate way to go. In dry hair, it seems to both break down adhesive while making the hair lubricating in a way that's most conducive to untangling. Untangle from bottom up, just of pulling up at the hair, from root to tip, while teasing it apart. It's hard to explain the technique I use, but I've managed to avoid disaster in a few close calls.

Even w/ skin pieces, you can easily get glue in your hair, despite their being no lace/pores for the adhesive to seep through.

That's why I wish Got2B worked better w/ poly. Its water-solubility doesn't give it the potential toupee=adhesive to tangle/dread/destroy hair!

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sometimes, once water's been introduced and the hair has been swished around, allowing the adhesive to run all through it, I've had piece that were unsalvagable. I had this issue w my first pieces because I underestiminated how destrustive a little adhesive in the hair can be,

Now, after basically everything, including traditional solvents like C22, I think hair serum is the ultimate way to go. In dry hair, it seems to both break down adhesive while making the hair lubricating in a way that's most conducive to untangling. Untangle from bottom up, just of pulling up at the hair, from root to tip, while teasing it apart. It's hard to explain the technique I use, but I've managed to avoid disaster in a few close calls.

Even w/ skin pieces, you can easily get glue in your hair, despite their being no lace/pores for the adhesive to seep through.

That's why I wish Got2B worked better w/ poly. Its water-solubility doesn't give it the potential toupee=adhesive to tangle/dread/destroy hair!

Tape with poly can work too.

Walker sensi tak red base tape with a strong tape over it.

I wouldn't use glue for any hair system except if you want an exposed hairline.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Knots can be caused by a couple of things.

1. Too much product built up in the hairs.

2. Adhesive in the hairs.

3. Not combing through before washing.

If you have washed the hair, like in your case, it will make them worse.

In the case of glue, the idea is to work some conditioner or C-22 into the knots, massage with your fingers, and pull out glue, while holding the hair with your other hand.

It takes a huge amount of patience.

Other tangles you can just use conditioner, and gently (very) try and comb out the hair from the ends in.

Cutting them out will just leave a hole.

Thanks Gents! I appreciate the tips and advice greatly!

I was able to use alcohol to get one of the knots out, it took me over an hour...but then when I rinsed that area of hair in sink with a little soap and water, a whole new knot formed to the right of the original one, so ultimately I still have 2 knots from adhesive getting into the hair.
Have really only experienced this issue when rinsing hair in water.

I took unit off and will wait until Thursday at stylist appt to let her get knots out and reattach. She thinks it should be no problem.

I'm gonna ask her If she can use only tape this time and no glue and maybe that'll solve my problem. Wish I had purchased Poly base unit

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Gents! I appreciate the tips and advice greatly!

I was able to use alcohol to get one of the knots out, it took me over an hour...but then when I rinsed that area of hair in sink with a little soap and water, a whole new knot formed to the right of the original one, so ultimately I still have 2 knots from adhesive getting into the hair.
Have really only experienced this issue when rinsing hair in water.

I took unit off and will wait until Thursday at stylist appt to let her get knots out and reattach. She thinks it should be no problem.

I'm gonna ask her If she can use only tape this time and no glue and maybe that'll solve my problem. Wish I had purchased Poly base unit
Entire poly base doesn't breathe at all, so will itch if you sweat heavy or in hot weather.
Feels like a plastic bag to the touch unless you bond the entire scalp with glue.
And doesn't last long and tears easily if thin skin.

Hair on poly/thin skin bases can tangle too.

Hybrid would work better.
French lace centre and front with poly around the perimeter where the tapes go.
So no adhesive to penetrate the lace unless you use glue at the front for an exposed hairline. But that would be glue in your skin, NOT on the hair system base first.
Or a hybrid without the lace front. Just french lace centre and poly all round the edge.

Full french lace base should be fine too if you only use tape.
And re-bond weekly in hot weather. Max 2 weeks in cooler weather.
Otherwise adhesive can seap through the lace. And cause tangling and a hell of mess to clean requiring a solvent soak.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wearing Caps to work out.......looking back I remember that just before having tangle issues, I worked out at the gym wearing a cap over hair system, then washed hair. Could this be the cause of forming tangles in the hair?

Just kind of troubleshooting and trying to figure out where I went wrong, as I wait to return to stylist in a few days and give this thing another shot.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wearing Caps to work out.......looking back I remember that just before having tangle issues, I worked out at the gym wearing a cap over hair system, then washed hair. Could this be the cause of forming tangles in the hair?

Just kind of troubleshooting and trying to figure out where I went wrong, as I wait to return to stylist in a few days and give this thing another shot.
I doubt it, as I've had this problem, exactly as you've described, before & it was always adhesive related. Like I said, hair serum is by far the best method I've used to rectify the issue.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt it, as I've had this problem, exactly as you've described, before & it was always adhesive related. Like I said, hair serum is by far the best method I've used to rectify the issue.
Thanks man! I'll look into getting some hair serum.
Hopefully I can figure out how these little glue bits are getting into hair when I wash it.
Thanks for the advice about the serum :)

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went back to stylist today, she said knots were worse than she thought. She was able to get them out. She said they were not from adhesive in hair but just tangles due to poor quality hair. She said as soon as she washed unit the hair started matting up on her too but she was able to straighten it with conditioner products.

She said I shouldn't order from same company next time and should go with different supplier bc the hair quality is not great.

Live and learn I suppose.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went back to stylist today, she said knots were worse than she thought. She was able to get them out. She said they were not from adhesive in hair but just tangles due to poor quality hair. She said as soon as she washed unit the hair started matting up on her too but she was able to straighten it with conditioner products.

She said I shouldn't order from same company next time and should go with different supplier bc the hair quality is not great.

Where is it from?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

How quickly did she get them out & do you know what she did specifically? It seems to be the worst idea ever to run water, or water with shampoo, through a unit that has any residual adhesive as it spreads like wildflower. I found out, by accident, that only conditioner/serum works.

Who was your supplier? I, two years ago, kept getting this problem from the liquid adhesive I used on my hairline, & blamed it on my supplier, which was Lord.

If there is such a thing, I've had worse quality hair & it's been all fine since I switched to UTS/poly.