goingbald18's story - UPDATED (PAGE 3)

goingbald18

Reaction score
its been 5 months, i got pretty lazy and have only been using dr. lee's minoxidil only at night, and cut the application down to .5 ml. Around Mid-December i've picked up proscar and have been using it (1.25) midday. I've noticed quite a bit of shedding due to the proscar. anyways here are the pictures.

wakeup_top.jpg

Right after i wokeup, left side, no flash

right_temple.jpg

right after i wokeup, right temple, with flash

noflash_wakeup_right.jpg

no flash, right temple, right after i woke

noflash_right.jpg

once again after i wokeup, right side

WITH FLASH
-----------------------------------------------------------

flash_wakeup_top.jpg

flash_wakeup_right.jpg

flash_wakeup_left.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER WASHING AND DRYING - NO FLASH

noflash_right_temple.jpg

left_temple.jpg

dry_right.jpg

dry_left.jpg

dry_front.jpg

NOW WITH FLASH

flash_right.jpg

flash_left.jpg

flash_front.jpg

goingbald18

Reaction score
im also wanting to get a few blood tests done as well as a thyroid test, i was also wondering, would it be possible that a head injury could have accelerated hair loss or even be the cause of it? when i was about 13-14, me and my cousin were messin around as a result i hit my head on the corner of a speaker, needless to say i was bleeding like crazy, however the bleeding subsided and i never really went to the hospital or anything, now i have a scar where hair doesnt grow

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
looks like male pattern baldness to me man, if you were interested i think your hair would look really good if you used a thickening shampoo and a product called Lanza Thickening molding paste (hair salon) or something to that effect. just a thought! keep up with your treatments, i noticed shedding after starting proscar as well.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
goingbald18 said:
im also wanting to get a few blood tests done as well as a thyroid test, i was also wondering, would it be possible that a head injury could have accelerated hair loss or even be the cause of it? when i was about 13-14, me and my cousin were messin around as a result i hit my head on the corner of a speaker, needless to say i was bleeding like crazy, however the bleeding subsided and i never really went to the hospital or anything, now i have a scar where hair doesnt grow

You have male pattern baldness. thyroids out of wack and hitting your head on a speaker does not give you a receeding hairline with loss at the temples.

goingbald18

Reaction score
i wasnt saying that it gave me a receding hairline and temples but was wondering if head trauma could have accelerated it. I'm not looking for something to blame, its a good chance that i could male pattern baldness, a couple blood tests cant hurt

goingbald18

Reaction score
hey guys, its me checking back in again, still on the same daily regimen (foam 2x a day and 1/4 of proscar a day), man diffuse thinning sucks! personally i think its the worst kind of balding, but thats just me. Looked into my family history a bit more, on dad's side male pattern baldness is nonexistent, on my mother's side, only one of my uncles is receded and STILL has more hair than i do, its crazy. I guess im just really unlucky. Never thought i would envy my dad for his hair, not to mention my 16 yr old brother, he has TOO much hair, hes always making comments on how he wish he had my hair, haha, a bit ironic, be careful for what you wish for right? anyways as far as progress goes, to be totally honest, i dont think minoxidil has really given me much other than minuscule results if any. been on proscar for 3 months, working? no clue. since day 1, i havent really had any noticeable sheds. I also wanted to know if proscar could add density to my sides, i am thinning so bad on the sides it prevents me from growing out my hair because it looks so terrible. here are a couple pictures to show what I'm complaining about.

right.jpg

leftside.jpg

Axl15

Reaction score
dude i have exactly the same hair as you do . . even with those thining patches just past the temples. . good luck dude tell me how it works for ya

Linhgo

Reaction score
Have you asked your doctor about Alopecia Areata?

If I were you, I'd go back to the dermatologist and ask whether they think it might be alopecia areata. The patchiness of the hairloss, your age, and the absense of male pattern baldness in your family makes a good case for a dermatology review.

This is someone with diffuse alopecia areata:

793793820BOLDUC7.JPG

That looks very similar to what you have. Go here to read up on AA:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic14.htm

mjd50

Reaction score
I would try and stick with a derm. You could always try a different one than the original one you went to. I used the phone book and tried to find a derm. that specialized in hairloss.
My thinning pattern is very similiar to yours. The derm I went to said male pattern baldness but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. let us know what they say.

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks that in a few of the pics you parted your hair in a weird way, which may make it look bald. Parting your hair, wetting it, lifting it away from the scalp and shining a flash camera shot at it will tend to make your scalp show. It seems pretty consistent throughout your whole head. It does not look like male pattern baldness, from my experience.

People get very fixated on how their hair looks under extreme circumstances. They lift if against the grain, wet it, tease it with a comb and expect what? No scalp to show? No bodies hair is that thick. And as a rule, shorter hair will show more scalp.

goingbald18

Reaction score
hey bornbalddiebald, thanks for replying, i think i do have some form of balding, its almost as if my vertex, and even sides suffer from diffuse thinning, and the receded right temple is a giveaway, i think? my left temple looks to be alright, i call it my "good side" hehe. I cut my hair short yesterday so i will post some pictures up in a few hours, the thinning is definately there

goingbald18

Reaction score
here are the pictures of my hair after the cut

rightside_wet.jpg

rightside_dry.jpg

leftside_wet.jpg

leftside_dry.jpg

front_wet.jpg

front_dry.jpg

damn, my right receded temple is disgusting!

also anyone know what i would be on the norwood scale?

goingbald18

Reaction score
Re: Have you asked your doctor about Alopecia Areata?

Linhgo said:
If I were you, I'd go back to the dermatologist and ask whether they think it might be alopecia areata. The patchiness of the hairloss, your age, and the absense of male pattern baldness in your family makes a good case for a dermatology review.

This is someone with diffuse alopecia areata:

793793820BOLDUC7.JPG

That looks very similar to what you have. Go here to read up on AA:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic14.htm

hey guys can i get a second opinion? anyone? thanks

goingbald18

Reaction score
hey again all,

welp its about halfway through the year, cant say i've noticed any change with my hair as far as regrowth is concerned, still taking proscar though. At the moment I am contemplating whether or not i should even go on taking foam minoxidil. I've been on it for about a year, and generally, from what i've been hearing is that if you don't respond within the 4-6 months, chances are you wont see gain much the following years. I personally dont think I've responded well enough to justify buying it and applying it 2x a day. I just get the feeling of being some kind of slave to minoxidil. However, i think proscar is a must for me, i think it might be maintaining whats left of my hair. After looking back through the pictures, my right temple doesn't look as bad as i make it out to be, i guess im just really picky and looking for the NW0 everyone desires. Earlier today i also got the chance to look at my high school pictures, and even middle school pictures, my scalp seems to be a tad bit visible, so maybe its just naturally like that, who knows. I'm transferring to a university this fall and i just dont want to deal with it anymore, i just want to pop the pill at night and be done with it and not have to worry about scheduling my life around minoxidil. I guess the lesson learned for me was that if it isnt convenient for you in the least bit, it probably isnt wise to commit to something like that. Really never have been much of a commitment type of guy hehe. I'm definately posting pictures of my hair as of today, but that'll be later on today, it's like 5 am here, iv got a test at 10 am, need to be up in 3 hours to study, lol what have i become. I am extremely sorry for making this post long but its been quite some time since the last time i posted. anyways look out for me later today,

R.I.P Minoxidil - 7-16-07

all comments welcomed, feel free for flaming me if it makes you feel any better, thanks again all!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
You start to make me think your hair is naturlly thin, and you dont really have male pattern baldness.

evildude

Established Member
Reaction score
that's the thing. his hair looks thin all over, not just on top. under a flash, his sides show as much scalp as the top does. maybe he has male pattern baldness, maybe he hasn't.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
evildude said:
that's the thing. his hair looks thin all over, not just on top. under a flash, his sides show as much scalp as the top does. maybe he has male pattern baldness, maybe he hasn't.

I agree...even his sideburns are thin in the pics... I am sure male pattern baldness don't really affect areas like that.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
If it's not naturally thin hair, then maybe it's DUPA. I have a co-worker who appears to have DUPA and almost all the hair on his head is affected.