goingbald18's story - UPDATED (PAGE 3)

goingbald18

Reaction score
Hey guys, well first off Im 18, i dont think my hair is a real big problem....yet. I went to see Dr. Herndon, a well-respected dermatologist in my area. He says It's not likely that i'm suffering from male pattern baldness, atleast its what he tells me, it makes alot of sense being that none of my relatives on both sides of the family arent bald. Anyways, he suggested that I get Minoxidil 5% (2x a day), Biotin 5mg (he has told me that it has helped with thickening hair for some of his patients), and prescribed Nizoral 2%. Being that I'm not completely bald, and pretty young he says that this regimen has a pretty high success rate. Well here are some pictures i took not too long ago, the first 2 are pictures of my hair wet. The rest are random dry pictures of my hair. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this. Thanks guys. Also one last question, say a year from now I do thicken/stimulate hair growth, would it require that i keep with the regimen to keep my new hair?

goingbald18

Reaction score
hehe, umm...thanks? i'm showing signs of thinning/balding, i just dont have much density in my hair so my scalp can easily be seen.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but it looks like there's a little thinning going on up front. Do you have a lot of gel in?

If it is thinning it's only at a very early stage and you should do OK with that regimen.

goingbald18

Reaction score
hey tchehov, i've pretty much stopped using gel at the age of 16, do you have any suggestions? if so i would appreciate them. also is there anyway to regrow your hairline?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm quite new to all this myself - I'd advise just taking a bit of time one day and reading through a few discussion threads.

Frontal hair loss seems to be one of the more difficult to deal with but because you're so young and you've caught it early you have a good chance. Give your regimen 6 months. (minoxidil + nizoral + Biotin). You might want to add a good vitamin supplement. Take photographs for comparison purposes. If you think you've lost more hair after 6 months you might want to consider an internal drug - Propecia or Avodart, which you can get from your doctor.

Don't get too worried - stress it bad for your hair. Hair thins out and thickens up as you get older - if you concentrate on it all the time you'll think you see all sorts of things going on there. Important thing is to pick a regimen, stick to it, and get on with your life.

Good luck.

goingbald18

Reaction score
one question, say i were to reach the desired results, would i still have to apply minoxidil twice a day? i heard that if you suffer from male pattern baldness then you would need to maintain your regimen, but for all other non-heriditary causes, you might be able to put a halt to your regimen. can anyone confirm this? thanks!

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
you need to put on minoxidil for the rest of your life if you wanna keep the hair you regrown from minoxidil

goingbald18

Reaction score
a few more questions, bare with me guys hehe

so, say for example if if im thinning out due to "stress-related" factors, i use minoxidil for 6months to 1 year, results are pretty good, if i were to stop would i completely lose everything that the minoxidil grew + my natural hair before using minoxidil, or would i just lose the newly grown hair, and get my old hair back to normal.

also, what do you guys suggest about applying minoxidil to my frontal hairline, how would i do it?

thanks again!

bubka

Reaction score
you are at least having some maturation of the hairline... though you could be starting MBP too, general rule if you are loosing over 100 hairs a day, with the typical miniaturization signs, you are balding... sorry

hard to tell from the low rez pics, but looks like male pattern baldness to me, just because male pattern baldness is not obviously prevalent in your family, does not mean you cant have it... you have 3x as many traits as genes, lots and lots of combinations there

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
goingbald18 said:
a few more questions, bare with me guys hehe

so, say for example if if im thinning out due to "stress-related" factors, i use minoxidil for 6months to 1 year, results are pretty good, if i were to stop would i completely lose everything that the minoxidil grew + my natural hair before using minoxidil, or would i just lose the newly grown hair, and get my old hair back to normal.

also, what do you guys suggest about applying minoxidil to my frontal hairline, how would i do it?

thanks again!

Thinning hair due to stress is quite common, but many men use it as a cause of hope because they don't want to accept they have male pattern baldness. I still haven't quite accepted it myself. If you think your thinning is due to stress then I would not add minoxidil to my regimen. I would try to find the source of the stress and deal with it through anti-depressants or some form of counselling.

minoxidil will regrow some hair if you're suffering from male pattern baldness. If you stop using it you will lose the regrown hair. If you're suffering from some other form of hair loss disorder then don't do minoxidil - go back to your doctor, get some blood work done. Have your thyroid checked out. He told you it's not male pattern baldness so you have a right to know what it is then. Don't let him be lazy - doctors are bastards, don't get me started...

goingbald18

Reaction score
to be completely honest, i was hoping it was stress related but im gonna be honest, it isnt, im freakin 19, lifes good. you right i just didnt want to deal with the fact that i might have male pattern baldness. Im gonna try out this regimen for 3 months, go back in for my followup and get some kind of blood test.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know it's hard to accept, especially so young. I had my first substantial hair loss at 21 - lucky it stopped for a few years after that and I was left with decent coverage. But it's progressive and it comes back to get you again. Second time round my hair was destroyed. Just don't give it a second chance to make you bald.

goingbald18

Reaction score
any of you guys notice that depending which side of the face u normally sleep on, it tends to look alittle more receded than the other side? is it just me?

goingbald18

Reaction score
hey, here is a solid schedule for my regimen. With my classes being on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, I figured i would substitute the A.M application of minoxidil 5% to an application of tricomin.

Sunday
A.M - nizoral 2%, Minoxidil 5%, Biotin
P.M - minoxidil 5%, Biotin

Monday
A.M - minoxidil, Biotin
P.M - minoxidil, Biotin

Tuesday
A.M. - Tricomin, Biotin, Jason's Shampoo/Conditioner Combo
P.M - Biotin, minoxidil

Wednesday
A.M - nizoral 2%, minoxidil, Biotin
P.M - minoxidil, Biotin

Thursday
A.M. - Tricomin, Biotin, Jason's Shampoo/Conditioner Combo
P.M - Biotin, minoxidil

Friday
A.M - minoxidil, Biotin
P.M - Tricomin, Biotin

Saturday
A.M - minoxidil (or Tricomin if I'm going out) , Biotin
P.M - minoxidil (or Tricomin if I'm going out), Biotin

Getting spironolactone for my hairline soon!

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
Where is the finasteride?

minoxidil isnt going to stop balding, it will just grow a set amount of hair.

goingbald18

Reaction score
im just very cautious in getting into finasteride, the side effects are the only thing holding me back, I'll probably make an order for finasteride in a week or so, gotta make the plunge.

bubka

Reaction score
goingbald18 said:
any of you guys notice that depending which side of the face u normally sleep on, it tends to look a little more receded than the other side? is it just me?
from what i hear, thats pretty normal to have one side different from the other, though i doubt it is related to sleep...

if you want to keep that hair, you HAVE to add the finasteride... otherwise you are doing nothing to actually combat male pattern baldness

dude, side effects in are less than 3%, and 1.5% after a year...

goingbald18

Reaction score
yea ill most likely be adding that to my regimen next week or so. Do you guys have any recommendations on where to get finasteride? thanks!