Going To Make The Jump - Need Advice On How To Prepare

NowOrNever

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All

Long time lurker of this forum here but decided to sign up today. I've been stuck in the middle about starting finesteride for months (around 3-4); I even purchased a month's supply but it's done nothing but sit on my desk. I'm currently using Minoxidl only and not really seen any difference at all (if anything, hair was thinned out even more - probably just DHT continuing to destory my hair).

I've managed the past 3-4 months by using Nanogen to hide my hair loss and to style it but it's gotten to the point where that it's so thin at the front, the concenlor isn't cutting it anymore.

I want to take the plunge and start finesteride but want to do it as safely as possible. It's the horror stories that have put me off to date but I also want to keep an eye on my hormones (especially those relating to fertility as I plan to have a child within the next 5 years).

My plan is to take baseline level blood tests before starting the drug. I'm based in the UK and getting these blood tests arent easy. I've come across a well established private clinic online but I want some advice on what to check before starting. I can get the following checked for a £99 bundle:

1) DHEA-S
2) FSH
3) LH
4) Testosterone
5) Free test
6) SHBG
7) FAI
8) Oestrdiol (estrogen)

Should I also get DHT checked? It's an extra £99 but is it worth it to estbalish current levels? Surely I already know it's high and don't care about it's levels? I plan on retesting in 6 months. Please also advise on any other blood tests I should perform

Thanks

J

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be frightened of finasteride. You may find that it didn't work and are looking into more hardcore treatment options.. That's the bandwagon I'm on.

Endmymisery

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What on earth. Just pop the pill and forget it. Over analysing and worrying will only give you placebo sides like in pretty sure most of the moaners around here have. Its a fairly harmless drug. Like think about it. Major uk pharmacists like superdrugs and boots are happy to give it to ppl with just couple questions about hairloss. My advice is chill and try it. Dont spend silly money on blood tests etc. Your not a guinea pig taking a dangerous drug. Its a widely available drug that many men take daily. When i noticed hairloss i jumped on it at 19 eithout a second thought. Didnt scare me at all.
How long have you been on finasteride now?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi andy where were you last month?
I was quietly monitoring my hairline. Since dropping finasteride or switching brands of oral minoxidil my regrowth has steadily declined. I still have some and I believe my shed is ending. The last few days I have shed less hairs so I'm staying hopeful. Need an anti androgen in my regimen though.

shookwun

Reaction score
finasteride is the reason why i slay. this is often a good enough reason for most to stay on.