Going out in the sun--what to do?

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to the beach last week and the top part of my head (temples and slightly above) got sunburned. I'm talking about actual skin peeling a few days later. I went to a water park the week after and the same thing. Now my hair isn't super long but it isn't super short (maybe a #5 clip with the razor). What can I and all of us do when we go out in the sun???

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
There are some good non-oily non-greasy sunscreens that do the trick. Coppertone also makes a spray that I think would work well.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought about applying sunscreen but the idea of putting sunscreen on the top of my head didn't seem right, so I just applied it to my forehead/temples.

Felk

Reaction score
I think theres something which is supposedly sunscreen for your hair

I'd really like to find it, as the sun is apparently a factor in hairloss. (Makes sense, when you think of photo-ageing of the skin)

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen one sunscreen for bald men, but it was too expensive. I used the stuff my wife uses for her face. It's very dry. I have about 1" long hair too. Your hair is much shorter so I think it will work much better. But it worked really well for me. I was in mexico for a week and my scalp didn't get burned at all.

feartheturtle

Reaction score
LOL. My dad uses the copportone stuff mentioned earlier in the thread, and it seems to do the trick...he burns super easily and doesn't usually have a problem with the sunscreen...

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wish I could tan my scalp...it just burns and peels. How do people tan theirs? Couvre does not help this since a total sunblock & scalp stays white which I hate.

CCS

Reaction score
tanning is a response to UV exposure. Genetics determines how much you tan per amount of exposure. Some people don't tan, and just mess their skin up trying.

I wear a hat when I'm outside, and I take it off when I'm in the shade, or just take it off for a minute or two in the sun.

I think the sun causes balding to occur faster, but is not enough to cause it by itself.