Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
He used to have very thick hair and juvenile hairline. Adult over 30 with juvenile hairlines are the ones who never suffer male pattern baldness. He also have miniaturazation on the sides too not on top only and finasteride is not working for him.
His balding pattern is definitely not following the typical pattern but he is losing density. Diffuse pattern balding can allow a juvenile hairline to stay intact but it could thin out. I would be curious to see what happens if he switches from oral minoxidil to topical. So far he will not do that. Minoxidil tends to cause some big sheds for some people.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m considering drop the Minoxidil all together but I guess I could try a topical Finasteride with Minoxidil.

I regret Minoxidil more than anything in the last two years. Feel trapped. Definitely thinning fast and miniaturization on the entire head. I haven’t noticed any progress in Finasteride with mild sides.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m considering drop the Minoxidil all together but I guess I could try a topical Finasteride with Minoxidil.

I regret Minoxidil more than anything in the last two years. Feel trapped. Definitely thinning fast and miniaturization on the entire head. I haven’t noticed any progress in Finasteride with mild sides.

Yes it's really hard to say now since it's gotten worse with the stuff you've tried. If it gets worse, how can we blame it on Finasteride at this point? However I would just stick with what has proven to work (Big 3) that is not Trans Regimen. Derma rolling may help, but I've read testimonials of side effects from Topical Finasteride after adding Derma rolling, so might as well take Oral if that's the case.

1. Your thyroid condition. With the timing(because of your age, age thinning may also be a part of it + telogen effluvium. The reason I include telogen effluvium is because I recall a few times my hair seemed thinner/thicker at various times in my life(before Finasteride). Basically my hair thinning was not aggressive where my follicles and hair diameter was hard to recover(If treatment worked). Age related thinning is simply our body not working the way it did when we were younger. Yes it's possible to be like Ronald Reagan and not lose much density until old. but I'm fairly certain he had less density over the years. We just couldn't tell as it was minor. Many would call that non aggressive male pattern baldness, I don't agree with that. I can agree it's some form of hairloss, but I wouldn't classify it as male pattern baldness. IMO male pattern baldness is premature hairloss compared to the median. Going to a norwood 2 is very normal in late 20's + with slight thinning. We just don't notice it until it gets to 50 percent loss of density.

Currently with so many things going on it's hard to say, but based on your timeline of hairloss, it appears your thyroid condition/medication is when you noticed the start of increased shedding? Did you notice before starting the medication/condition? I presume the reason you took it was due to lethargy and other side effects of low thyroid.

2. As you've already realized Minoxidil was not needed at that point and and may have just accelerated a shed that you've not recovered from.

This pic is a bit scary compared to your before pic but seems like perhaps you part it to show more clearly your diffuse. It may not look as bad dry, but obvious loss in density. You should part it the same way for a better comparison.
4cce5d6f-9ed8-4299-96ca-48baff4b7e1c-jpeg.jpg
img_8370-jpg.jpg

I'm pretty much close to your position but in reverse, where Finasteride alone thickened me up, especially my hairline. Personally I wouldn't try too many unproven treatments and stick with just the big 3. I don't take anything except for Fish Oil, Iron,Vitamin D. I may be getting quite a bit of biotin from eggs and Salmon. I would not say I eat healthy but I don't eat unhealthy. As for working out,the benefits of working out outweigh any theoretical largely unproven correlation.

You're already living a healthy lifestyle and while I don't believe stress is a factor, the opposite of stress(relax) can do wonders in general for the well being as a whole.

I know it's easy to say, but my advice would be to not worry so much for things out of your control. You're already taking precautions in tying your hair loosely to avoid traction alopecia. Keep your scalp healthy. It's pointless to be afraid of washing hair and keep the hair that can't even go through a hair wash without falling out. I'm amazed with the amount of hair you've shown you losing everyday your hair still looks good. Good Luck and I hope you at least halt the shedding and recover.

@James Carwell, regarding your twin brother. Do you have pictures for comparison and have you asked him if he's taken any treatments?

This article is interesting regarding Twins hairloss and treatment.
http://www.twinshairloss.com/

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @Mushu Really appreciate the thoughtful feedback. If I could just slow the shed I’d have some degree of optimism. I’m filling the sink daily. None of my hair feels normal anymore.

Big changes before noticing any loss or change were: Thyroid, New Loft, International Travel, Long hair and tight man bun, & Ironman training/return to heavy weights.

I still have it long for fear a cut will show the whole head diffusion. I realize the loose tie back might be pulling out some hair but the length hides a lot.

I’m going to stick with topical finasteride despite noticeable sides, peptides, vitamin over kill, and oral minoxidil until I have the courage to drop it. I didn’t need the thyroid meds and I was to sue my doctor. She started me on it with a normal TSH and it wrecked my hormones.

Thanks again.

Rajat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey pls check out my thread your help/guidance would be much appreciated
His balding pattern is definitely not following the typical pattern but he is losing density. Diffuse pattern balding can allow a juvenile hairline to stay intact but it could thin out. I would be curious to see what happens if he switches from oral minoxidil to topical. So far he will not do that. Minoxidil tends to cause some big sheds for some peop

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Light brushing, sink and floor, morning and evening before leaving the house. So much hair, constant.

Attachments

• 08E09ED6-92B7-4ACF-BCCD-5183ABBF10E7.jpeg
    08E09ED6-92B7-4ACF-BCCD-5183ABBF10E7.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 653

James Carwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I am in kind of a similar situation. In February 2018 I relapsed with alopecia areata (I’d been in remission for 10 years). One month later my left temple started receding drastically. Then the right temple. My entire head is now diffuse thinning even though I jumped on finasteride 11 months ago. It has gotten worse and worse every week for over a year now despite treatment which leads me to believe theres something more going on. I’ve been in my current house 3 years but for months now I’ve felt like there is something environmental going on. And I just think it’s strange that I relapsed with AA after 10 years. I also have a twin brother with no hair loss. I joke with my wife that it will be easy for people to tell us apart when I’m bald. So I went from perfectly healthy thick hair to a receding, wispy, diffusing mess in a little over one year and this is despite being on finasteride for the majority of that time. When I look at my brother all I can think is “that’s how my hair used to look”.

I have had 2 separate blood panels done but maybe they’re not testing for toxins or other factors. I think I’m going to have my house tested for mold just to rule it out. I’m also thinking about seeing an endocrinologist. Any other suggestions?

If you have a twin and it's not happening to him, then it's more than likely being caused from your current environment. Sad really as there must be so many people walking around that don't have twins to compare too, that just except they have male pattern baldness, when in reality there is a cause underlying.

Ive got a sneaky suspicious it's something to do with a fungal infection but will let you know soon when I move out of my home if I get improvement.

Btw it's really weird as I don't see any hairloss in the sink, shower or pillow. I just notice it gets thinner and harder to hide day by day and it's fast!

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have a twin and it's not happening to him, then it's more than likely being caused from your current environment. Sad really as there must be so many people walking around that don't have twins to compare too, that just except they have male pattern baldness, when in reality there is a cause underlying.

Ive got a sneaky suspicious it's something to do with a fungal infection but will let you know soon when I move out of my home if I get improvement.

Btw it's really weird as I don't see any hairloss in the sink, shower or pillow. I just notice it gets thinner and harder to hide day by day and it's fast!
Wow. Exactly the same for me. I can shake my hair with my hands vigorously and I’ll get zero to four hairs in the sink. No hair in my hands when I run through my hair. No noticeable hair on my hands when I shampoo. No hair on my pillow. But it just keeps thinning every day.

So one other thing to mention. 3 months before my hair loss started I sliced open my pointer finger knuckle with a carving knife. It was Thanksgiving and like an idiot i refused to go to the ER to get stitched up. I spent several weeks tending to the wound and even thought it was infected at one point. It eventually healed but I always look back on that and wonder if I got some sort of infection that triggered the hair loss since it started almost immediately after it had fully healed. Please keep me posted on whatever you find out about your situation.

Btw I asked my dr about the twin thing and her response was “it’s just a matter of time” for him. I’m not convinced at all considering our age and his current hair situation.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you have fungal infections you don't need severe hair fall to thin out. Your follicles get damaged by the fungus and become smaller and produce shorter, finer hair. I suddenly got advanced miniaturazation instead of gradual.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you have fungal infections you don't need severe hair fall to thin out. Your follicles get damaged by the fungus and become smaller and produce shorter, finer hair. I suddenly got advanced miniaturazation instead of gradual.
What did you take to treat it?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
This was a particularly demoralizing shower today. I have no idea what to do the hairs are coming out in plugs of 10-15 from long black to .5 inch vellus.

I have no idea what to do. The sides and back are still thicker than the crown and vertex but also very thin. I had such incredible density or I’d be full on bald by now.

Attachments

• 27991EA4-90C7-488F-84CE-4F59182E6D52.jpeg
    27991EA4-90C7-488F-84CE-4F59182E6D52.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 715
  • 976EA4DE-141C-46E6-A0FC-A96F4EB11463.jpeg
    976EA4DE-141C-46E6-A0FC-A96F4EB11463.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 729
  • 7D7A857D-50E6-4EC4-8287-9EE20F2BA253.jpeg
    7D7A857D-50E6-4EC4-8287-9EE20F2BA253.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 606

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This was a particularly demoralizing shower today. I have no idea what to do the hairs are coming out in plugs of 10-15 from long black to .5 inch vellus.

I have no idea what to do. The sides and back are still thicker than the crown and vertex but also very thin. I had such incredible density or I’d be full on bald by now.
Have you tried nizoral?
Or massaging your scalp with a wooden brush?
Apple cider or wine vinegar?

Rosemary oil?

Onion juice?

Don't give up until you try everything. My regimen is doing good. My current regimen wine vinegar + rosemary oil + wooden scalp massage brush is improving my scalp and hair. It doesn't itch bad anymore and hair is falling out less. Tell me how much hairs you see on your pillow to compare with me.Or when you take your shirt off. I get 5-10 hair on my pillow every morning some miniaturized and some not. When I take my shirt I see 20-30 hairs on the back, most miniaturized. And one question.
Is this hair in the photos of the floor of your bathroom all the hair you lose or only a small part of it. I get only half of the hair on the photo when I wash my hair. I am in a similar situation and I hope it will improve. I used to have hairline and thickness that very few blessed people have and now I have an average hair density with noticeable thinning on the left temple and left side and small thinning patches on top.
Im am going to add nizoral to my regimen too.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve cut back to washing once a week. I’m not making any of this nightmare up. That is the norm and I’m careful. I have and had a ton of hair to start or I would be completely bald. I feels thin everywhere. I don’t even talk about my floors. I gave up on that and only track shower wall and sink when dry.

I wonder if the loose man bun is causing some of this. I am afraid to cut it short but maybe there’s some stress from pulling it out of my face.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had another biopsy, no fungus. Nothing is slowing this down. My T is high again but serum DHT still 25. 10 months and no progress or slow down on Finasteride.

I know it could be worse but it sucks.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had another biopsy, no fungus. Nothing is slowing this down. My T is high again but serum DHT still 25. 10 months and no progress or slow down on Finasteride.

I know it could be worse but it sucks.
Go to the dentist. A tooth issue can cause hair loss. And as I said - stop using finasteride and minoxidil. You are wasting money. They don't work for you. Try onion juice, apple cider or wine vinegar or other products and remedies against hair loss.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go to the dentist. A tooth issue can cause hair loss. And as I said - stop using finasteride and minoxidil. You are wasting money. They don't work for you. Try onion juice, apple cider or wine vinegar or other products and remedies against hair loss.
is this a joke or actually serious?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perfect teeth never had a cavity. Again, I’m just looking for answers.

3 seems and 3 of the top hair transplant doctors have looked at my head and the answer as been ‘idiopathic Telogen Effluvium’ with early onset AA. They all say the AA is mild but the shedding abnormal. I’m no longer losing Telogen hairs though. I know guys have it far worse in here, I’m just trying to stabilize and stop risky meds if they aren’t needed.

I am still concerned this starts and ends with Thyroid medication. Though I stopped for 6 months and the shedding continued. If this was normal male pattern baldness I’d keep grinding on Finasteride hope for the best for a few years, but 10 months in and she is only getting worse.