Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think im loosing my hair in the same pattern as you do. Ive been loosing my for the last 2 1/2 years. Everyday about 100-200 hairs. some days more, some days a little less.
Are you also loosing hairs on the side of your head ? And what about body hairs ?

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,053

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Figured I would update this thread after all of the feedback I received. I know I’m ‘old’ but this hit fast and out of know where.

I have lost most of my density and for the last several months my hairline has taken a huge hit. I’m not sure what else to try, I can say it has been getting worse since starting topical Finasteride but that could just be the progression. I shed constantly, long hairs.

I have started washing only once a week because I loose upward of 500 (counted) hairs each shower. My forelock is now scalp visible. Hair lid still long and thin. Would a shorter cut help with mechanical stress?

Regime:

Topical Finasteride Daily .5 4-6ml
Oral Minoxidil Daily 2.5
Multi-Peptide Serum Daily
Keto when washing 1-2 per week
Viviscal Pro 2x Daily
10000 mcg Biotin Daily

Any ideas? Have minor sides from topical Finasteride after significant sides on oral.
I’m not sure but I remember you mentioning you have thyroid issues. Did you get that under control?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still on thyroid medication but levels have been stabilized. I know the medication list hairloss as the second side efffect.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think im loosing my hair in the same pattern as you do. Ive been loosing my for the last 2 1/2 years. Everyday about 100-200 hairs. some days more, some days a little less.
Are you also loosing hairs on the side of your head ? And what about body hairs ?
I have thinned in the sides but not as badly. Even some side miniaturization. Body hair no issues. I expected increased body hair with oral minoxidil but that never happened.

I have been drinking a lot more since this all started. Otherwise healthy, great diet.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
These picture do not capture the NW7 pattern of diffuse miniaturization. I really have no idea what to do. Handfuls of hair when I barely touch my head. I think I destroyed myself with the minoxidil and the Finasteride will never keep up with the loss.

Attached is a pic from Memorial Day just last year. Going bald is one thing going bald this fast is a nightmare at any age.

Attachments

• DFF51149-D0CA-4BB7-B3D4-F4D489DBA981.jpeg
    DFF51149-D0CA-4BB7-B3D4-F4D489DBA981.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 836

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually yes. I moved in August, went to doctor because I felt horrible a month later. She started thyroid medication, 4 month on my hair started to fall out like crazy, never slowed. It’s a big Chicago loft, possible mold? @James Carwell

James Carwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually yes. I moved in August, went to doctor because I felt horrible a month later. She started thyroid medication, 4 month on my hair started to fall out like crazy, never slowed. It’s a big Chicago loft, possible mold? @James Carwell

It's something in the change of your environment. The same thing is happening to me and I know it's not male pattern baldness as I have an identical twin brother who isn't' thinning at all. I've been told it can be a host of things from mold, to the water you are now washing your hair in, to a new fungal infection you've got since moving in the new house, to the wifi connection you use, to your home being too close to over head powerlines.

Either way when it comes on so quickly and happens so fast, don't listen to what people on here say when saying it's male pattern baldness, as they don't understand unless they are experiencing it themselves. male pattern baldness will come on slowly. I can literally see the change day by day it's that fast.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I have long hoped there are some environmental factors plus age. Unfortunately, I’m realistic that the miniaturization proves some male pattern baldness. I do believe the constant shed is a mix.

James Carwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same with me, started shedding like mad one year ago, hair line doesnt move, its all over the scalp. About 4 weeks ago i started minoxidil and finasteride but got puffy face from minoxidil and went off, now im experiencing brain fog and some kind of mental tiredness from the finasteride and not sure if im gonna continue, started shedding like mad again, probably cause of minoxidil or finasteride
Did you happen to move into a new house when all this started?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to share bathroom images. But looking for some input. I am significantly thinner than I have ever been.

But the loss is still long somewhat healthy hair. The thinning is more noticeable at the vertex and diffuse everywhere but the hairline, though diffuse is still intact.

Am I missing something? I’m 9 months on Finasteride, two years oral Minoxidil, Keto, Viviscal Pro, Biotin, thyroid medication...

Only number I can move is Ferritin. Serum DHT low, Test normal.

I’m not sure what else to try but this amount of hair is a daily thing from a great baseline.

Attachments

• 3D6BCBB1-A005-4176-806C-3FAE2C0EA352.jpeg
    3D6BCBB1-A005-4176-806C-3FAE2C0EA352.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 748

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's something in the change of your environment. The same thing is happening to me and I know it's not male pattern baldness as I have an identical twin brother who isn't' thinning at all. I've been told it can be a host of things from mold, to the water you are now washing your hair in, to a new fungal infection you've got since moving in the new house, to the wifi connection you use, to your home being too close to over head powerlines.

Either way when it comes on so quickly and happens so fast, don't listen to what people on here say when saying it's male pattern baldness, as they don't understand unless they are experiencing it themselves. male pattern baldness will come on slowly. I can literally see the change day by day it's that fast.

So I am in kind of a similar situation. In February 2018 I relapsed with alopecia areata (I’d been in remission for 10 years). One month later my left temple started receding drastically. Then the right temple. My entire head is now diffuse thinning even though I jumped on finasteride 11 months ago. It has gotten worse and worse every week for over a year now despite treatment which leads me to believe theres something more going on. I’ve been in my current house 3 years but for months now I’ve felt like there is something environmental going on. And I just think it’s strange that I relapsed with AA after 10 years. I also have a twin brother with no hair loss. I joke with my wife that it will be easy for people to tell us apart when I’m bald. So I went from perfectly healthy thick hair to a receding, wispy, diffusing mess in a little over one year and this is despite being on finasteride for the majority of that time. When I look at my brother all I can think is “that’s how my hair used to look”.

I have had 2 separate blood panels done but maybe they’re not testing for toxins or other factors. I think I’m going to have my house tested for mold just to rule it out. I’m also thinking about seeing an endocrinologist. Any other suggestions?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this pattern strange? Like Christmas tree thinning forelock first...

All labs are back clean accept for thyroid. Could the tie back be pulling out hair? It’s not tight and keeps it in place. Thinking the long hair helps hide some. But damn when forelock goes I’m dead.

Attachments

• BA0EB049-157A-4ED0-9E53-5308FC229EED.jpeg
    BA0EB049-157A-4ED0-9E53-5308FC229EED.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 903

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Is this pattern strange? Like Christmas tree thinning forelock first...

All labs are back clean accept for thyroid. Could the tie back be pulling out hair? It’s not tight and keeps it in place. Thinking the long hair helps hide some. But damn when forelock goes I’m dead.
You might just lose some more density but your forelock might stay intact. Mine did.

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to share bathroom images. But looking for some input. I am significantly thinner than I have ever been.

But the loss is still long somewhat healthy hair. The thinning is more noticeable at the vertex and diffuse everywhere but the hairline, though diffuse is still intact.

Am I missing something? I’m 9 months on Finasteride, two years oral Minoxidil, Keto, Viviscal Pro, Biotin, thyroid medication...

Only number I can move is Ferritin. Serum DHT low, Test normal.

I’m not sure what else to try but this amount of hair is a daily thing from a great baseline.

I think sometimes theres no explanation. I went to so many different derms. four of them told me, that i dont have Hair loss and i should relax. One said its male pattern baldness, but not really aggressive. I really know what you're going though. trying everything without any improvement can be really exhausting. The amount of shedding can really drive someone crazy. Thats the hair I lost the last couple of days. Just from brushing my hair. I would love to have any advice or for you. unfortunately i dont.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 578

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never thought this would accelerate so fast. Was still thin but a NW1 full head in October when a I started Finasteride and the shedding never changed, only change was all of the hair even ‘safe zone’ has become ‘fried’

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going to log my daily shed here. This doesn’t include car, floor, environmental, only hair after careful light brushing and a wash every 4 days.

Attachments

• 6F05ECA9-1BBF-402A-AD90-C2EC6F1D4CE9.jpeg
    6F05ECA9-1BBF-402A-AD90-C2EC6F1D4CE9.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 604

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, can relate to what you are going through. Last three months I've been struggling to keep my hair. I don't ever realized how this happened. I've never gotten 300 or 500 hairs per shower or something but I developed crown thinning, small bald patch and thinning patches on left and right side. I gradually developed fungal infection and seborrheic dermatitis.
First I noticed increased shedding was when I watched a video about hair and it said if you get more than 5 hairs from running fingers through your hair you are experiencing hair loss. I did and I got 7-8 hairs. I did it second time, third and again 7-8 hairs. I could not believe I was losing my hair. I decided to style my hair with my fingers and I got up to 40-50 hairs. I used yo have 5-6 before when I did this. I noticed that my head is itching and my hair is greasy even after a wash. Before I used to remove all of my greasiness when I just washed. The itching started getting worse until my scalp became painfully inflamed. I strated tar shampoo and rosemary shampoo and they did nothing. Luckily the shedding stopped and I again styled my hair with two to five hairs. I developed severe dandruff too. I noticed that I shed miniaturized hairs but I used to tell me that they aren't from the scalp. As I said I couldn't believe. When I noticed my bald patch on the left temple I got very self conscious about it. The only things that helped me are: Vinegar, wooden brush and stress relief. Nothing else. I bought a wooden brush recently. Massaging your scalp with a wooden brush really helps me strengthen my hair and reduced my inching and inflammation. I am doing every day relaxation for 5-10 minutes. It really reduces hair fall.
How is your current shedding? Do a pull test. How much hairs you get in your hand. On your pillow case?
My current shedding is 4-5 hairs on the pillow, 0-4 hairs when I take off my hair tie and 10-15 in the shower. There are alot more because the rest get stuck in my hair because it's curly and messy but that's what i see. Before the vinegar and wooden brush it was like 25-30 in the shower, 8-10 on my pillow case, many of them miniaturized, and 5-8 when I take off my hair tie. Today I still shed miniaturized hairs, maybe because I skipped certain areas the first two times when I did massage with a wooden brush. I hope it stops. Despite losing a bit of density and having some miniaturazation, my hair still appears pretty thick. I can't imagine how thick it would be if my scalp was healthy. This disease is being cured very slowly. I used to have insanely greasy hair, severe dandruff and painful to touch scalp and now I have everything in moderate amounts. The bald patch in my left temple is filling with hairs but i don't know if you the other places are improving.

Your hair loss is probably triggered by the thyroid medication you are taking. My advice is getting your vitamin levels checked. You may have some nutritional deficiency. Remember that the lab test ranges are very wide and your thyroid hormones levels and vitamins should be in the middle or above the middle. They shouldn't be lower than the average level or barely in normal range.
Quit minoxidil and finasteride. Especially finasteride. You are taking it for no reason. These medications are doing nothing for you. Doesn't matter if topical or oral. Go buy a wooden brush it's very cheap. You can try relaxation to reduce stress and vinegar too.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hi, can relate to what you are going through. Last three months I've been struggling to keep my hair. I don't ever realized how this happened. I've never gotten 300 or 500 hairs per shower or something but I developed crown thinning, small bald patch and thinning patches on left and right side. I gradually developed fungal infection and seborrheic dermatitis.
First I noticed increased shedding was when I watched a video about hair and it said if you get more than 5 hairs from running fingers through your hair you are experiencing hair loss. I did and I got 7-8 hairs. I did it second time, third and again 7-8 hairs. I could not believe I was losing my hair. I decided to style my hair with my fingers and I got up to 40-50 hairs. I used yo have 5-6 before when I did this. I noticed that my head is itching and my hair is greasy even after a wash. Before I used to remove all of my greasiness when I just washed. The itching started getting worse until my scalp became painfully inflamed. I strated tar shampoo and rosemary shampoo and they did nothing. Luckily the shedding stopped and I again styled my hair with two to five hairs. I developed severe dandruff too. I noticed that I shed miniaturized hairs but I used to tell me that they aren't from the scalp. As I said I couldn't believe. When I noticed my bald patch on the left temple I got very self conscious about it. The only things that helped me are: Vinegar, wooden brush and stress relief. Nothing else. I bought a wooden brush recently. Massaging your scalp with a wooden brush really helps me strengthen my hair and reduced my inching and inflammation. I am doing every day relaxation for 5-10 minutes. It really reduces hair fall.
How is your current shedding? Do a pull test. How much hairs you get in your hand. On your pillow case?
My current shedding is 4-5 hairs on the pillow, 0-4 hairs when I take off my hair tie and 10-15 in the shower. There are alot more because the rest get stuck in my hair because it's curly and messy but that's what i see. Before the vinegar and wooden brush it was like 25-30 in the shower, 8-10 on my pillow case, many of them miniaturized, and 5-8 when I take off my hair tie. Today I still shed miniaturized hairs, maybe because I skipped certain areas the first two times when I did massage with a wooden brush. I hope it stops. Despite losing a bit of density and having some miniaturazation, my hair still appears pretty thick. I can't imagine how thick it would be if my scalp was healthy. This disease is being cured very slowly. I used to have insanely greasy hair, severe dandruff and painful to touch scalp and now I have everything in moderate amounts. The bald patch in my left temple is filling with hairs but i don't know if you the other places are improving.

Your hair loss is probably triggered by the thyroid medication you are taking. My advice is getting your vitamin levels checked. You may have some nutritional deficiency. Remember that the lab test ranges are very wide and your thyroid hormones levels and vitamins should be in the middle or above the middle. They shouldn't be lower than the average level or barely in normal range.
Quit minoxidil and finasteride. Especially finasteride. You are taking it for no reason. These medications are doing nothing for you. Doesn't matter if topical or oral. Go buy a wooden brush it's very cheap. You can try relaxation to reduce stress and vinegar too.
How are you so sure he does not have the beginning of male pattern baldness?

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How are you so sure he does not have the beginning of male pattern baldness?
He used to have very thick hair and juvenile hairline. Adult over 30 with juvenile hairlines are the ones who never suffer male pattern baldness. He also have miniaturazation on the sides too not on top only and finasteride is not working for him.