Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

equel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its so weird cause u have the exact same "pattern loss" as me, that is all over the scalp which result in a larger and larger part-line, no recession of hair line or bald spot. Very weird for sure

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Following up. The shedding continues, I have stayed on the Minoxidil since May 4, a new hair transplant doctor switched me to oral Minoxidil at a very low dose daily. I used 2% Keto 4 times a week. I use a cappillus 3 times a week but thinking of stopping.

The thinning continues, I see many miniaturized hair in the frontal hairline and the thickness and density from less than a year ago is gone. Handfuls of hair each shower.

I'm on the edge of starting Propecia but concerned I'm starting too late because of the aggressive loss and my age. I'm also dreading sides and another shed. Would you just wait until it because noticeable?

Any thoughts? The pics are a little misleading as some of the longer, thicker hairs mask the very diffuse and full scalp thinning.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8057.JPG
    IMG_8057.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,822
  • IMG_8208.JPG
    IMG_8208.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • IMG_8224.JPG
    IMG_8224.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,759
  • IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,716
  • IMG_8427.JPG
    IMG_8427.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,823

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol wtf and your 39? You don't even have hair loss. "Aggressive loss"....lmao. Get on propecia if your worried.

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing aggressive about this at all.... If you are worried get on finasteride

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Following up. The shedding continues, I have stayed on the Minoxidil since May 4, a new hair transplant doctor switched me to oral Minoxidil at a very low dose daily. I used 2% Keto 4 times a week. I use a cappillus 3 times a week but thinking of stopping.

The thinning continues, I see many miniaturized hair in the frontal hairline and the thickness and density from less than a year ago is gone. Handfuls of hair each shower.

I'm on the edge of starting Propecia but concerned I'm starting too late because of the aggressive loss and my age. I'm also dreading sides and another shed. Would you just wait until it because noticeable?

Any thoughts? The pics are a little misleading as some of the longer, thicker hairs mask the very diffuse and full scalp thinning.

Thank you.
You definitely have BDD, if you think you have aggressive loss. I have similar hair and I never said my loss was aggressive. And you have more density than I do. However, I would skip the oral minoxidil and switch to oral finasteride if I were you. Actually, I did when I was your age.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair still looks great, like DoctorHouse said just give finasteride a try for a year alone before fully committing to any form of minoxidil.

HankPentagon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair started to really thin at 39 too. Even with Propecia and Rogaine, it continued to thin at slow pace but never stopped in its tracks. Some men can lose alot of hair later in life. You may be one of them. I also have thyroid autoimmune problems so it maybe related to that too. I had alot of shedding too when I first started treatments and I never recovered above base line. For some people, the hair may get worse if you don't respond well. I never had thick hair like you so even with loss, you might not be able to tell too badly so you have that in your favor. You have to accept the fact that some men do lose hair in their 40's and above and some don't. Unfortunately only time will tell. However consider yourself lucky, nonetheless, because most of the guys with the worse cases would love to be in your shoes right now.

NEVER trust a doctor implicitly.

BE your own doctor.

With google, you can research things endlessly.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You definitely have BDD, if you think you have aggressive loss. I have similar hair and I never said my loss was aggressive. And you have more density than I do. However, I would skip the oral minoxidil and switch to oral finasteride if I were you. Actually, I did when I was your age.
Man you've been on these forums forever for someone who still has hair like that. What treatments are you on and how long have you been on them?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am in a state of utter panic. After my last derm visit 4/28. My female derm said she thought my issues were 15% MPD at the most though provided no other diagnosis.

I asked what I could do that would be safe and could help retain hair. She said there is never harm in Rogaine. I started that regimen on what was still a very think head of hair with thinning at the crown.

After about 5 days the sheds went from max 40 per day to literally handfuls of hair and it has gotten worse now that I am in week seven. Long think 5-8 inch hairs are falling like rain. The are all T hairs.

I don't know what to do. Stop now and hope I can return to the fast but in context acceptable look or continue to watch my hair become noticeable bald.

I wish I read more of the Rogaine posts before starting, Two hair seems, ranked doctor's in a major market reassured me that I could do no harm with Rogaine. At 300-400 hairs per shower I can't imagine what this will look like at the month 3 assessment. Next derm visit is in September.

Also doing Ketokonozal 2% 3/week. Paleo diet. Iron supplements (per doctor) and a Capillus 202 3/week.

I'm ready to stop all cold turkey accept the diet and iron.

The loss is diffuse and began 8/1/2016.

Please advise.

Jesus CHRIST MAN! You did NOT go bald. Your hair is wet and STILL thick as hell? f*** this. When my hair is wet I legit look like the crypt keeper.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thank you.

Looking at the first picture, you should start Finasteride. And fast. Don't wait.

You are probably going to go vertex first, before your hairline gets bad.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks all. I get it my hair still looks ok. But you know how it feels. It's been just over a year before even the slightest loss was noticeable and the change along with the constant shed amplifies what's going on.

At my age I really thought I was in clear and the shock has been rough to deal with, I'll cut out the drama, I'm just freaking out and the doctors have given mixed advice that seems like it made my situation worse not better.

Here is my dilemma. I started minoxidil topical on May 4th and switched to .25 oral in June. The shed continues. I'm terrified of the long term impact of Propecia.

I deeply regret starting minoxidil when I did as the first shed is something I doubt I'll ever recover from in terms of hair density. I have a ton of new miniaturized hair all over and many in the front hair line.

How have you gauged the Propecia shed versus progress? How long and how did you evaluate side effects? Any thoughts of taking testosterone with Propecia to balance the DHT reduction? I'm still planning on children in the next few years and really worried it could harm that process.

I'm losing this game and if Propecia doesn't come with a real change I had to make another mistake like I did with minoxidil. The diffuse nature of the loss

Anyway I'm here for honest advice from people that know what it's like, can give perspective and help me weigh my options. Thanks in advance.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
The center thinning in the front started in May with the minoxidil. Can anyone give me a sense of what to expect on Propecia is there a minimum dose to try? I fear another shed like the Rogaine shed will make things far worse.
Vertex also thin. Actually it's evenly thin all over.

Any advice Dr. House?

Attachments

• IMG_9246.JPG
    IMG_9246.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,397

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
The center thinning in the front started in May with the minoxidil. Can anyone give me a sense of what to expect on Propecia is there a minimum dose to try? I fear another shed like the Rogaine shed will make things far worse.
Vertex also thin. Actually it's evenly thin all over.

Any advice Dr. House?
At your age, you can take the full dose of Propecia 1mg( finasteride). You are approaching your 40's. Hair density can decrease as you age. It happened to me.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm close to giving it a shot.

Any advice on what to expect? Shed wise?

Any ideas on tracking side effects and progress? Getting baseline blood work etc.

Only hesitate as I'm looking to have a child in the next year or so and don't want to message that up.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I'm close to giving it a shot.

Any advice on what to expect? Shed wise?

Any ideas on tracking side effects and progress? Getting baseline blood work etc.

Only hesitate as I'm looking to have a child in the next year or so and don't want to message that up.
Just take the medication and see what happens if hair means so much to you. No one can predict what will happen in every case. If you are concerned about having children while on Propecia, then don't take it at this point. You need to be consulting with your doctor about all these issues before you take the medication. Unless you have BDD, you really can wait until you get your wife pregnant before starting on Propecia. Most people will not even know you have any hair loss except you.

freddieb80

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would request a comprehensive lab panel (CBC, CMP, PSA, C-Reactive Protein, TSH, Free Testosterone, Homocysteine, Electrolyte Panel, Adrenal Function Panel, and Complete Hormone Panel). I've seen a lot of comments on this thread and posts in general indicating that thyroid dysfunction seems to be the biggest culprit in sudden, rapid hair loss but any number of issues can cause it. Vitamin B12 deficiency can be a huge culprit in rapid hair loss as well as low testosterone, low estrogen (yes...even men need a small amount of estrogen for their body to function normally) prostate issues, numerous vitamin deficiencies, and chronic wide spread inflammation. Having a comprehensive lab panel will give your provider the best look at how well you're functioning physiologically and if you're suffering from any vitamin or trace mineral/element deficiencies. Did you start taking any new medications or supplements in the 1-3 month period prior to your rapid hair loss? I started taking a new medication that my doctor prescribed to me and it triggered my alopecia barbae (similar to alopecia areata but specifically involves the hair of the face) and within 3 weeks numerous patches of my beard fell out (one patch was the size of a sand dollar), half of my right eyebrow fell out and all of my eyelashes on the right side fell out. It took a full year for all of the patches and lashes/eyebrow to grow back after I stopped the medication and even now patches of my beard fall out when I get stressed out.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Figured I would update this thread after all of the feedback I received. I know I’m ‘old’ but this hit fast and out of know where.

I have lost most of my density and for the last several months my hairline has taken a huge hit. I’m not sure what else to try, I can say it has been getting worse since starting topical Finasteride but that could just be the progression. I shed constantly, long hairs.

I have started washing only once a week because I loose upward of 500 (counted) hairs each shower. My forelock is now scalp visible. Hair lid still long and thin. Would a shorter cut help with mechanical stress?

Regime:

Topical Finasteride Daily .5 4-6ml
Oral Minoxidil Daily 2.5
Multi-Peptide Serum Daily
Keto when washing 1-2 per week
Viviscal Pro 2x Daily
10000 mcg Biotin Daily

Any ideas? Have minor sides from topical Finasteride after significant sides on oral.

Attachments

• 6A43D454-5712-4084-B5B8-0CBC5361ACF5.jpeg
    6A43D454-5712-4084-B5B8-0CBC5361ACF5.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 4CCE5D6F-9ED8-4299-96CA-48BAFF4B7E1C.jpeg
    4CCE5D6F-9ED8-4299-96CA-48BAFF4B7E1C.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,117
  • F0CE8821-63AA-4186-BD38-3143A0162B9E.jpeg
    F0CE8821-63AA-4186-BD38-3143A0162B9E.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 1,082
  • A1B1DAF5-8BF7-48EF-94B7-2C9866C6AC8D.jpeg
    A1B1DAF5-8BF7-48EF-94B7-2C9866C6AC8D.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 97FE32CB-5D26-4CD8-B052-57AFF9784E59.jpeg
    97FE32CB-5D26-4CD8-B052-57AFF9784E59.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • B3684166-2958-4689-BFC7-0547B495EFAB.jpeg
    B3684166-2958-4689-BFC7-0547B495EFAB.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 5645C4C9-016B-47EA-8B5A-7741DF5A3C09.jpeg
    5645C4C9-016B-47EA-8B5A-7741DF5A3C09.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1,119

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Figured I would update this thread after all of the feedback I received. I know I’m ‘old’ but this hit fast and out of know where.

I have lost most of my density and for the last several months my hairline has taken a huge hit. I’m not sure what else to try, I can say it has been getting worse since starting topical Finasteride but that could just be the progression. I shed constantly, long hairs.

I have started washing only once a week because I loose upward of 500 (counted) hairs each shower. My forelock is now scalp visible. Hair lid still long and thin. Would a shorter cut help with mechanical stress?

Regime:

Topical Finasteride Daily .5 4-6ml
Oral Minoxidil Daily 2.5
Multi-Peptide Serum Daily
Keto when washing 1-2 per week
Viviscal Pro 2x Daily
10000 mcg Biotin Daily

Any ideas? Have minor sides from topical Finasteride after significant sides on oral.
image.png
This photo shows you really aren't too bad. Is this a before or current?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
A month ago. Currently losing what I think are the last of the healthy long (8in) hairs from the forelock. I occasionally have a loose tie of the hair in and worried I’m tanking out a bit. If I could slow the shed I think I could stabilize and makeup some ground. The miniaturization on the sides concerns me but may have a connection to the oral minoxidil.

Also not sure if workout plays a role. Pre hairloss I was training for Ironman, quit because of hair and the pool. Only lift these days and run a few marathons. The stronger I get the worse my hair gets. I never post stuff but this is a funny shot at mile 25 of a May 2019 marathon.

Attachments

• 864D28DB-EC73-4FFA-84B8-345B7746FFDC.jpeg
    864D28DB-EC73-4FFA-84B8-345B7746FFDC.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 980
Last edited: