Gluten Free Diet?

halpmeplease

Reaction score
Just stumbled upon the possible gluten-free benefits for hair loss. From what I read, a gluten free diet is helpful for people with a certain disease and may actually do nothing for helping hair loss.

However, a gluten free diet would be healthier for me I think. I eat a lot of crap, and drink a lot soda lately.

Anyway, I was hoping someone who has a gluten free diet can tell me if this is a good starter:

http://www.gicare.com/diets/gluten-free.aspx

It lists foods later on that are gluten free, may contain gluten, and do contain. I think I'm going to go to the store soon and get a few of those items and include them more in my diet over the next few weeks and eventually try to live gluten free for a while and see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks for the read and any info and advice.

edit: I hope I don't come off as a complete idiot by asking about that link haha. I was just hoping someone who has experience with this can backup what that site says and maybe offer any advice.

halpmeplease

Reaction score
That site says Velveeta cheese products are good to go, does that count for Velveeta macaroni and cheese, because I love macaroni and cheese. That should be okay, right?

And are all products that say "gluten free", is that believable? Or is that something you should double check?

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been gluten-free(ish) for about 7 months at this point. The diet worked wonders for ridding me of numerous other health issues, many of which I didn't even realize were "issues" until they finally went away. I say gluten-freeish mainly because the diet is ridiculously hard to follow. Most places still aren't trained to properly handle food to avoid cross contamination and most food is processed on shared equipment lines that turn out a number of different products. Unfortunately I can still react from time to time from these shared equipment products which causes a bit of a hassle (but provides plenty of bathroom reading time!).

The problems with celiac disease are in large part due to a massive confusion as just what to categorize it as. Is it the damage to the intestines? Is it the ability of your body to develop antigens for your own intestinal lining, is it that change in gut bacteria that the linked article mentions, is it the ability for your body to create antigens to gluten itself, is it the ability for gluten to alter gene expression in your intestinal lining, etc. It's a very multifaceted issue that eventually always comes back to: gluten causes bad sh*t to happen all over your body. Unfortunately many of the tests used today for it by doctors are quite a bit unreliable as they have high false-negative rates. This ends up causing a lot of people who experience clear, measurable discomfort/inflammation/cognitive issues as a result of eating gluten products to have their doctor come back with "your tests show that nothings wrong so you must have IBS".

As to the information in that link you posted:
- Oats are not safe. The site is correct in saying that they do not inherently create gluten. The site is not correct in saying that most manufacturers no longer harvest/store/process the oats on the same equipment as wheat.
- Unfortunately, according to a recent studies the same thing may be going on with millet grains and so it's best to avoid that one too. And the same thing goes for any other processed (ie: not whole grain) version of any other grain product (rice flour/soy flour are big culprits here).
- Modified Food Starch, in US products this is always made from corn unless otherwise noted so unless it specifically mentions being from wheat, it's safe.

Probiotics are pretty much a must for anyone who has or has had or wants to avoid a problem with gluten. I take them religiously now as I noticed that it severely lessens the symptoms of any inadvertent glutenings.

Macaroni is pasta, pasta is made from flour, flour by default in the american lexicon is made from wheat. This means that unless you're getting your pasta from a box that specifically states "gluten free" then it's not safe. Unfortunately the safe boxes taste like crap...

If a manufacturer states "gluten-free" then technically it doesn't mean sh*t. There are recommended limits of gluten content in products but the FDA still has not gotten around to setting any actual legal limits or guidelines for companies to follow. Products that are independently certified gluten free (GF) logo and all are safe. There have been issues even recently where companies will list "Gluten-Free" (not GF logo'd) when they really mean no intentional gluten ingredients, even though that product is manufactured on shared equipment and ends up glutening (poisoning) celiacs. Luckily the companies are normally quick to change their labeling due to pressure from responsible grocery chains that pull their products from the shelves in such cases (ty Whole Foods).

Additionally the FDA allows companies to state "a gluten free food" for things such as millet, because they do not naturally contain gluten, even when it's been shown that most of the stock out there is grown in the same fields, harvested on the same equipment, stored in the same silos and processed on the same lines. BTW, the FDA is probably the least effective office of the US government. If you feel safe eating any of your food, don't. The only thing worse I can think of is probably the USDA.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
Probiotics are pretty much a must for anyone who has or has had or wants to avoid a problem with gluten. I take them religiously now as I noticed that it severely lessens the symptoms of any inadvertent glutenings.

What probiotics are working for you? I have a few lined up but i don't know which to get, one of them is the refrigerated type and the others aren't but i hear the refrigerated type is the best.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking Jarrow Formula's "Jarro-Dophilus +FOS 3.4bil/capsule".

It contains 6 different probiotics including Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidus longum as well as some Inulin prebiotic.

It's sold in the refrigerated supplements section of a health foods store (like whole foods etc). The pills are living creatures, the refrigeration does help increase the end yield of live organisms.

I don't use this particular brand for any special reasons, whenever I run out I just go grab w/e one has a sh*t ton of organisms per capsule along with the two species listed above and some inulin. I of course check for at the very least a "no gluten" listing on it as well.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Some people with celiac disease experience inflammatory related hairloss. Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition that if left unchecked increases your risk of developing additional autoimmune conditions. Basically if you keep eating gluten your body keeps manufacturing antibodies for it's own cells. It can cause the immune system to attack the intestine, your skin, your heart, your lungs, your thyroid, your brain and your hair (both body and scalp).

It's the reason I have thin hair all over, mostly pronounced on the sides and back (the normally safe areas) of my head. In addition until I went off gluten I had ridiculously thin/no body hair in any friction point on my body such as knees, ankles, elbows and anyplace normally covered by a shirt.

It really is a totally systemic affliction that can screw over any and all pieces of your body if you don't catch it, however most people have the damage pronounced in specific places. It can actually cause other fun conditions like thyroiditis, asthma, hypertension, depression, anxiety, eczema, and even schizophrenia.

Unfortunately gluten itself can also potentially increase the intestinal permeability in all humans which puts you at a much greater risk for all hosts of health problems and increased allergies. Basically, if you have any sort of food allergy or intolerance, you should stop eating gluten.

All in all it's at the very least in the top 5 of the deadliest things in the modern human diet.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost didn't see that you added some to that quote.

The basic places to start looking are http://www.gluten.net(the gluten intolerance support group), http://www.celiac.com(the big celiac support forum for the states and some of europe) and http://www.coeliac.org.uk (the government/university based celiac research groups in the USA are a joke and about 5/10 years behind europe on understanding this disease).

I'd say you could just ask your general practitioner doctor for more info on this, but you've got about a 90% chance that they'll be full of either no information or incorrect information and so your best bet when dealing with one of them would be to direct them to one of the above sites (although there's probably a greater chance that they wouldn't bother looking at them).

Most people who finally get diagnosed with this condition have to go through many years of clueless doctors who never should have graduated undergrad and it's bred a certain contempt for them in us.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair,

I've been on the gluten free diet for about a year and a half now and in the last 4 months I've given up grains completely, although I might go back to making my own gluten free bread using again using Bob's Red Mill products. I really miss the convenience of pulling out of slice of bread and throwing it in the toaster for buttered toast when I was hungry.

I was curious about the subject of losing hair due to friction point when you were on gluten. I noticed the bottom outsides of my ankles have been smooth for a number of years now, possibly due to friction against the coarse pants leg; I tend to wear levis. I just assumed that this was part of the male pattern baldness process because I've seen others with the same. Recently I've noticed my right leg regaining some hair on the lower ankle but not the left leg. How long did it take for you to regain hair in those areas once you went off gluten?

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Technically no such hair loss would not be a sign of androgenic alopecia. If you were dealing with only a sensitivity to DHT then if you were to see any change in body/facial hair it would be an increase of it, not a loss as your body hair reacts oppositely to your scalp hair in response to DHT. I first noticed significant changes in the friction areas around 4 months of being off gluten and then another level of significant increase after treatment with antifungals.

Since my condition occurred before most of puberty I don't really have any good baseline of what should have hair and what shouldn't. I had always just assumed I would have a similar body hair pattern as my father, but it turns out he is afflicted with the same condition! My hair has slowly been creeping down in the ankle area but I'm not sure that I have any body hair yet in the area that you describe, or if I'll even end up with any. I have however actually gone to wearing tighter fitting jeans as a result of my much improved waist line on the diet and have not had a decrease in body hair in the friction areas as a result so it was definitely not just a function of my clothes but something internal that was causing the issue.

If the majority of your gains in health or hair quality were found after you went grain free as opposed to just gluten free you may wish to consider additional intolerances or alternative health problems. Gluten-free items can be ridiculously high in simple carbs which can often aggravate or cause fungal infections as well as often times containing soy products which are another very common source of allergens and intolerances in humans.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
If you were dealing with only a sensitivity to DHT then if you were to see any change in body/facial hair it would be an increase of it, not a loss as your body hair reacts oppositely to your scalp hair in response to DHT.

I have to admit, I haven't even considered anything other than male pattern baldness. I suppose I should consider other possibilities like thyroid issues or PAD.