Giving Finasteride One Last Go - Slow Responders??

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to take finasteride around 2 years ago but didn't see any results after using it for around 9 months.

I never experienced a major shed whilst taking it and I still experience mild and gradual hair loss over the 9 months (I've been slowly losing since 21 years old - now 32).

In the back of my mind I feel I gave up too soon - 9 months may not have been long enough.

I'm just curious to hear if any of you had a breakthrough around the 9 month to a year mark??

I've just got a 14 month supply of finasteride so no more excuses!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I used to take finasteride around 2 years ago but didn't see any results after using it for around 9 months.

I never experienced a major shed whilst taking it and I still experience mild and gradual hair loss over the 9 months (I've been slowly losing since 21 years old - now 32).

In the back of my mind I feel I gave up too soon - 9 months may not have been long enough.

I'm just curious to hear if any of you had a breakthrough around the 9 month to a year mark??

My advice is that you need to use minoxidil twice per day with finasteride to get your maximum results.

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I was a very slow responder. Although shedding stopped pretty quickly, I reckon it took 3 years for me to notice significantly higher quality, stronger hair. Even now at 6 years, it's still improving.

Just keep taking it.

keethen61

Reaction score

Hi there, thought I would throw in my 2 cents of an experience with finasteride... Started in jan 2017 at 0.5 mg a day (half a pill). By 6 months I was starting to see hair thickening all over for sure and my crown was starting to regrow hair (likely small hardly visable baby hairs already there). Anyway things were going really good and then in the fall when I needed to re-fill my prescription I asked my GP for the 5 mg pill so I could cut in 4ths. Well, I tried the EOD dosage at 1.25 mg (Mon, wed, fri)... BIG MISTAKE (for me)!!!! Lost all that I had developed, so I started taking 1.25 every day. There was a crappy period of shedding up until jan 2018, but recently (since late feb/early March 2018) am starting to see hair thicken again all over!!! Also seeing crown hairs coming back. So am going to stick with the 1.25 mg this time and not mess with dosing, doesn't seem to work well for me. I guess long story short I should have stayed on the 0.5mg everyday and would have seen better results by now instead just now seeing results again after about 14 months of finasteride.

Oh and also went off shortly after I started seeing good results from the finasteride first time in, but now am back on it, 5% once at night, I think this is helping lots too. I noticed when I introduced the minoxidil back in the growth really starting taking off again.

Last edited:

keethen61

Reaction score
oops typo in my last posting on the end about the minoxidil comment, should have read "Oh and also went off minoxidil shortly after I started seeing good results from the finasteride first time in,"

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you ever tried viviscal..? For me it worked better then propecia, i imagine if you stack the two together you will have better results
My problem is I don't have access to much in Vietnam (I teach there).

I can only get finasteride or minoxidil.

Its very reassuring to here people have success after 12 months!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
My problem is I don't have access to much in Vietnam (I teach there).

I can only get finasteride or minoxidil.

Its very reassuring to here people have success after 12 months!
I really think you will show some success in one year from now but you have to be patient and a good soldier and battle thru all your sheds.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really think you will show some success in one year from now but you have to be patient and a good soldier and battle thru all your sheds.
I really hope you are right.

If I can re-gain some density then I wont need to have a hair transplant.

I'm fine having receded temples in my 30s but I'm not comfortable with the diffuse hair loss.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I really hope you are right.

If I can re-gain some density then I wont need to have a hair transplant.

I'm fine having receded temples in my 30s but I'm not comfortable with the diffuse hair loss.
You still got decent density now so I think with minoxidil and finasteride together, you should get some thickening and possible go back a half a Norwood.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
You still got decent density now so I think with minoxidil and finasteride together, you should get some thickening and possible go back a half a Norwood.
I'll pm you a picture of the lost density