Ginsenosides and hair growth.

K

karankaran

-As was pointed out in one thread by 'benjit', I thought Ginsenosdies might be a promising experimental target. So I thought of making a separate thread collecting info about it. Also, i created this thread here as IMO, this warrants further investigation and more active feedback from members.

Studies on it:
The inductive effect of ginsenoside F2 on hair growth by altering the WNT signal pathway in telogen mouse skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24613976

Ginsenoside F2 Reduces Hair Loss by Controlling Apoptosis through the Sterol Regulatory Element-Binding Protein Cleavage Activating Protein and Transforming Growth Factor-β Pathways in a Dihydrotestosterone-Induced Mouse Model.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24789999

Effects of ginseng rhizome and ginsenoside Ro on testosterone 5α-reductase and hair re-growth in testosterone-treated mice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21538628

Ginsenosides Rb₁ and Rd regulate proliferation of mature keratinocytes through induction of p63 expression in hair follicles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23007914

------------------------
This is what i found from my research:

enzyme-modified ginseng extract (EG) is rich in the active compound ginsenoside F2.
Interestingly, human intestinal bacterial enzymes are able to convert ginsenoside Rb1 to ginsenoside F2 (F2) after oral ingestion.
Ginsenoside Rb1 is the most abundant form in American Ginseng.

- - - Updated - - -

Comparison of typical ginsenoside composition of American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L.) and Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng C. A. Meer).

Chemical compositionAmerican ginsengAsian ginseng
Total ginsenosides40–60 gram/kilogram20–40 gram/kilogram
Major ginsenosidesRb1, Re, RdRb1, Rg1, Rb2
Pseudoginsenoside F111.0–2.0 gram/kilogram0
Ginsenoside Rf01.0–2.0 gram/kilogram
PPD-group to PPT-group> 2.0< 2.0
Rb1: Rg1> 5.0< 5 .0
Rg1: Re[SUP]a[/SUP]< 1.0> 1.0
Rb2: Rc< 0.4> 0.4

Again, major ginsenoside Rb1, is hydrolyzed by intestinal microorganisms in the body into the minor ginsenoide F2.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to add more info on this. I guess when we all collect info about something and share it with each other in a single thread, it helps everyone.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your work, karankaran, and credit to waynako for the original find.

It seems that ginsenoside F2 is another "saw palmetto": a powerful, natural 5aR inhibitor. The big question is which one is more powerful, but from the studies cited here I think it is indeed ginsenoside F2 which is more potent.

The study found by waynako ("The inductive effect of ginsenoside F2 on hair growth by altering the WNT signal pathway in telogen mouse skin") suggested direct effect on the Wnt pathway, but given an earlier study ("Effects of ginseng rhizome and ginsenoside Ro on testosterone 5α-reductase and hair re-growth in testosterone-treated mice.") I assume that is just a downstream effect of anti-5aR activity. So with regards to how it works, ginsenoside F2 is identical to saw palmetto.

abcdefg

Reaction score
So a ginseng extract supplement could help? I would just say saw palmetto the normal 320 mg is not strong enough to help hair at all

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
More useless crap.

K

karankaran

Thank you, benjit.

@abcdefg - I guess american ginseng which states what percentage of ginsenosides it has. But i am not sure. I think more study is needed to understand dosage and sources.

- - - Updated - - -

More useless crap.

I think it is much more useful than your comment.

I picked on the research discovered by other members and read a few papers on it to summarize information here. To help those who might be interested.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
So I assume applying it topically is now out of the question? Also, it looks like it will a little more about prevention rather than regrowth, which is a shame. But that second study does say regrowth.

K

karankaran

So I assume applying it topically is now out of the question? Also, it looks like it will a little more about prevention rather than regrowth, which is a shame. But that second study does say regrowth.

I think in the 4th study quoted above, they did apply ginsenosdie rb1 topically. The thing is the first study talks about the benefits of ginsenoside f2 , which is converted from rb1, through oral digestion. So i guess may be both an oral dose and a topical preparation might help. Topical to get benefit from rb1 form without it getting converted to f2, and oral so it converts to f2. May be.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride works better if applied topically(from a japanese study) and it's the same thing for saw palmetto (from multiple user reports). If this is a sign, you should definitely at least use it topically, and both oral and topical for optimal results.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride works better if applied topically(from a japanese study) and it's the same thing for saw palmetto (from multiple user reports). If this is a sign, you should definitely at least use it topically, and both oral and topical for optimal results.

But does finasteride pills contain any fillers? Or just dilute in minoxidil and apply it the same.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mikazz, could you please provide a link to the study?

Another forum member said the exact opposite, the alleged reason behind that being that the enzymes for converting finasteride to its bioactive metaboliteare are only present in the stomach. As we now have two completely diametral statements on that matter, we need some primary sources to clear that up.

RK85

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what i found from my research:

enzyme-modified ginseng extract (EG) is rich in the active compound ginsenoside F2.
Interestingly, human intestinal bacterial enzymes are able to convert ginsenoside Rb1 to ginsenoside F2 (F2) after oral ingestion.
Ginsenoside Rb1 is the most abundant form in American Ginseng.

Gynostemma (jiaogulan) contains much more ginsenosides than ginseng:
Over the next decade 82 saponins (gypenosides) were identified in jiaogulan, compared to the 28 (ginsenosides) found in Panax ginseng.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynostemma_pentaphyllum

But the real question is if gynostemma contains more ginsenoside Rb1 and ginsenoside F2 than ginseng?

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
On a tangent note, was talking to a friend on skype and he said that he had seen on a news article recently that Neil DeGrass Tyson had found the cure to hairloss and was ready to release it soon. I hope he was telling me the truth and told him to give me link.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Neil DeGrass Tyson had found the cure to hairloss ????

Is an
American astrophysicist,???

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
That's a great read. The marriage of herbal horticulture and modern medicine is the root of all healing possibility. Gotta love it.

But the real question is if gynostemma contains more ginsenoside Rb1 and ginsenoside F2 than ginseng?

- - - Updated - - -

How encouraging to learn that there's also no known toxicity to mammals from ingesting/applying jiaogulan. I'm going to take a stroll over to my herb lady with the hopes of creating a greater concentrated strength than the original studies used. The worst case scenario it'll just be like adding more fiber to my diet. Cheers.
That's a great read. The marriage of herbal horticulture and modern medicine is the root of all healing possibility. Gotta love it.

- - - Updated - - -

If he found a cure might that mean we'll going to need a worm hole and a rocket ship to jump through it to haul it back home to earth?
Neil DeGrass Tyson had found the cure to hairloss ????

Is an
American astrophysicist,???

K

karankaran

I wonder if we need to completely worry about F2 since Rb1 is converted to f2 by our stomach. And yes, the amount of Rb1 is important. I will try to search this compound you mentioned and see if i get something/

---------------

Also, i feel that a topical and an oral compound containing Rb1 can be tried. Or may be trying this in addition to a diff compound like PSO. I have went the experimental route before. and i am just wondering if i should try this, i was thinking of going the finasteride route from 1st july.

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in trying it in topical form using a microroller to increase absorption.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score

The number of different ginsenosides is irrelevant, the dosage of effective ginsenosides matters much more.

For me, the question is whether Rb1 and/or F2 work topically (i.e. if the necessary enzymes are present), cause that would really make a positive difference over saw palmetto: 5aR inhibition without sides.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Just how stupid are you guys ? Haven't you learned anything from the past ?

These topics get posted every few months with some bullsh1it ingredient that has very minor anecdotal evidence that it has any effect on male pattern baldness.

Lets all post links and useless studies, break out the derma rollers and do the whole dance all over again. Wow.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
My oh my well at least these stupid guys aren't resorting to childish name calling yet.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
My oh my well at least these stupid guys aren't resorting to childish name calling yet.

My oh my are you here to type up another paragraph filled with useless crap ?