Getting My First Hair System, And Freaking Out.

SkepticMind

My Regimen
Reaction score
For a long time I've been thinking about this but I haven't come to terms with it yet even though I ordered my unit already and it'll be arriving soon. I tried to mentally prepare for it during the wait, but now that the time has come I'm getting cold feet. I mean I know the shortcomings of having a hair system, and on the other hand, the upsides and I keep reminding myself that the pro's seem to outweigh the con's... to a great extent.

The thing that's giving me second thoughts is the that fact that I'm not actually bald (not yet so to speak) however, my hair is still thin and I'm not satisfied with it. Moreover, there's no denying that it's going to continue to thin in the future. I'm 28 years old now and I have gaps on my head that are undetectable due to it being covered with a layer of hair. By the time I'm 30, it's probably not going to be that easy to cover and very obvious. The huge sacrifice that I would have to shave my head seems a little devastating. And I apologize I'm a very emotional person. >.<

Although, looking at it from a more positive perspective, I will have a head full of hair, despite the fact that it's fake, and I will look really good, and I wouldn't have to worry about wind ruining it like I do with my natural hair. It will boost my confidence, and make me look 10 times younger.

Another downside that I'm struggling to accept is the idea of maintaining it. I'm ok with re-attaching the hair system once every two weeks, but I've heard from some people that it's not realistic and that you'd have to re-attach it once a week. I want to be clear on this. How often can I re-attach it?

I could really use some positive feedback, honestly, since I'm flooded with anxiety and I'm considering backing out. Tell me about your personal experience, is it really worth it? Are you happy with it?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
HI SM,

First of all, take a deep breath.

Second... take another!

My story is NOT like yours. As soon as I realized I was visibly balding, I shaved it smooth and kept it that way (more or less) for 24 years. I stopped shaving, due to family issues, and found out I was a Norwood 6! I lived with it and didn't think anything of it. One day, I saw someone on the street, a beard like mine, and long hair, back in a braid with shaved back and sides (Viking style). It was the first time in all of these years that I really felt like I was missing out. It was then I started thinking about getting some hair, just as a lark.

I did the research and went from a cheap wig to serious hair replacement (I didn't want to look like a clown), I won't go into the details, but I required a lot of work, research and flights from Israel to Spain. When I sat in the chair and saw my new look unfold, I started to cry. I really couldn't believe it.

Now, six months later.... I really really LOVE having hair. Everyone is used to it, and the new people I meet have no idea it has now grown out of my own head. If people ask, I don't lie.

I won't lie to you and tell you that it is the same work as having your own, natural hair, no, it's not. It also does not really feel like it (maybe if I had shorter hair, it might). It does look good. I work hard on having a natural hairline and spend the money to have very good systems.

Two weeks is not unexpected unless you live in a very hot climate, and or perspire (I get both).

If you get a second system, you can remove, clean your scalp, shave the bio hair, and attach the second unit, while the first unit is soaking, then you can clean the second unit, and have it ready for the next attachment. You should only order a second unit once you are sure that what you have is perfect.

I hope you are NOT doing your first unit all by yourself?

To be honest, it's just part of my routine. Thursday night the unit comes off unless I have plans, otherwise, it's Friday (we are off on Friday). I usually give myself a day off, unless I am going out. It's like cleaning the house or doing laundry.

Good luck.

We are here for you.

SkepticMind

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Baldbearded. Your words were uplifting, and gave me a push to do this. One of my main concerns is the strength of the adhesive. I'd really hate going about my day and suddenly feeling like my hair system is loose from my head, that would flip me out. Do you ever get that way? Can the hair system feel strongly adherent over 2 weeks? And how much time does it take up to rebond?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but the likelihood is that you will freak out when you see a whole heap of hair on your head. Thoughts will be like "this is not me" or "how the hell am I going to face everyone I know".

I had a major freak out when my first system was fitted. It looked like WAY too much hair for my age, and was a real shock to what I looked like beforehand. I didn't go out for days (or I wore a cap) until my wife arranged a haircut for me at a good hairdresser. Then I was mostly fine with it. And now the system has shed a lot and is much lighter in density, so I am happy.

It will take time for you to reach a sweet spot i.e. to learn what style suits you and to find that system/style easy to maintain.

My main advice would be make sure the density is suitable, which in most cases should be light.

And don't worry about the glue! It is really strong and good. I've actually had someone pull my hair really hard and it went nowhere.

I'm still on my first system (it's only been 4 months) and I am really nervous of changing to my next system, which I will have to in a month or so.

Good luck!

SkepticMind

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but the likelihood is that you will freak out when you see a whole heap of hair on your head. Thoughts will be like "this is not me" or "how the hell am I going to face everyone I know".

I had a major freak out when my first system was fitted. It looked like WAY too much hair for my age, and was a real shock to what I looked like beforehand. I didn't go out for days (or I wore a cap) until my wife arranged a haircut for me at a good hairdresser. Then I was mostly fine with it. And now the system has shed a lot and is much lighter in density, so I am happy.

It will take time for you to reach a sweet spot i.e. to learn what style suits you and to find that system/style easy to maintain.

My main advice would be make sure the density is suitable, which in most cases should be light.

And don't worry about the glue! It is really strong and good. I've actually had someone pull my hair really hard and it went nowhere.

I'm still on my first system (it's only been 4 months) and I am really nervous of changing to my next system, which I will have to in a month or so.

Good luck!

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing your experience! I already know my right hairstyle, and density which I have explained to the hair doctor or whatever you call them. I have a very simple style, just normal bangs (which I am glad cuz I wouldnt worry about how accurate my hairline would appear.) Slightly wavy hair and with slight density. I have my own hair piece that I fashioned by a normal wig with natural hair, and I tried it on, it suited my appearance and showed it to the doctor to make sure he orders the right type of hair and colour.

This whole process is a bit overwhelming mainly cuz of the stigma and limitations. I am trying my best to adopt to the new way of living and the challenges I will face by having this hair system. Obviously, once I shave my head and put it on, that would be a huge leap cuz I am permanently commited to wearing hair systems from that moment on.

Really weird, ridiculous scenarios keep running through my head. Like what if I am in an environment that is not viable for having a hair system? Like camping or travelling for example... The inconvinience to have to carry a special kit with you and always be geared up for maintenance. This is just a commitment that I am scared to embark on. It's tantamount to being forced to take medication for the rest of your life to maintain your health. A bit scary but may be I will come to terms with it when I am on it.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Skeptic

Just want to wish you the best of luck for your transition. You are doing the right thing by making the change before your hairloss is publicly apparent, and once you get used to the piece you will find that there is very little you can't do with it on. You will basically be able to forget you are wearing it, except for 10 seconds in the morning when you check all is in order along with your shave and shower, and once ever 7-14 days when you do your maintenance. The idea that it is always at the centre of your consciousness and you are organising your life around your hair is a misconception. For example, camping and travelling are not a problem unless you are going for months.

The only slight query I have from reading your posts is about the idea that you have made your own hairpiece out of a wig. Is there some reason why you did that rather than ordering a hair system? Usually the bases on full wigs are not as fine and undetectable as those on hair systems.

SkepticMind

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Skeptic

Just want to wish you the best of luck for your transition. You are doing the right thing by making the change before your hairloss is publicly apparent, and once you get used to the piece you will find that there is very little you can't do with it on. You will basically be able to forget you are wearing it, except for 10 seconds in the morning when you check all is in order along with your shave and shower, and once ever 7-14 days when you do your maintenance. The idea that it is always at the centre of your consciousness and you are organising your life around your hair is a misconception. For example, camping and travelling are not a problem unless you are going for months.

The only slight query I have from reading your posts is about the idea that you have made your own hairpiece out of a wig. Is there some reason why you did that rather than ordering a hair system? Usually the bases on full wigs are not as fine and undetectable as those on hair systems.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. The more I absorb positive feedback on this, the more incentive I have for getting it done.

That hair piece I fashioned from a wig is just a prototype. It's not meant to be used as a hair system, but a replicate that I can use for experimentation. In all honesty, having that hair piece on made me feel really good. It's feather-light, it compliments my appearance and I wouldn't mind wearing it in a daily basis. It gives me a boost to push me to get a hair system and helps me come to terms with it. :)

Noah

Reaction score
Cool; that's a good clue to how you will feel when you're wearing full-time. Again, all the best.

Noah