Getting Fed Up And Disillusioned With It All

Hairy bear

My Regimen
Reaction score
g’day folks! Long time listener infrequent poster!

Been doing this system thing for about 1.5 yrs ( last November )

I just can’t seem to zero in on the right system for me!

Basically I got a custom from a salon which looked like the arse end of a gorilla costume! Really thick base like hessian sack! About 300 % density and the cut was f*****g horrible! I wore a cap for two days then ripped it off! Next I got a sick lace unit which I loved l, but glue seepage issues! Then I went ‘thin skin’ good hold 3 weeks? But the V loop sucks, looks crap and doesn’t last long ! Did a few but! Then got a HORRIBLE lace from same mob Norwood lace! Hated it! Tried some thick skin from salon, superb hold! 4 weeks! World record! But it looked sh*t, crap to style! Wore it that month that was it ( hope it’s still in their drawer!!!!) latest is a stock lace from Top lace! Hands down the best unit I’ve had!! Good quality hair, looks good! But glue lasts 1 week good! ( feels like I’ve got full head of hair!) second week suss, no movement but don’t trust bond and some lift at front! Tape lasts 1 to 2 days MAX! tape to skull SOLID! Tape to lace weak as, no matter how much I push it down, it lifts :(. Spent last two weeks ( since service) with a beanie and bald mid week, put on at week end )
The girls said they used ghost bond last time, maybe that’s the issue, I’ll find out soon as it’s on with walker white glue now.

I guess I’m speaking to you Noah! Please can you advise my options, I’m about another bad system or two off shaving my head! My ‘wish list’ isn’t to crazy I don’t think! All I want is a reasonable durable system I can get 3 months out of, that will hold for 3 weeks and I can have a brushed back side shed style with.
Lace I like the styling/ combing but not glue seepage if you risk 3 weeks, 2 days with tape is pathetic! Thin skin, I LOVE THE FEEL AND HOLD, but styling sucks! Thicker skin HAIRLINE SUCKS! But hold is AWSOME !

I’ve got an idea about injected skin with a thin front, that first inch or two v looped might be ok, I know this has been done, have you heard any feed back of success? It needs to be custom which delays the turnaround and pushes up the price!

When they look good I’m really happy, but sick of hearing people laugh and wondering if they’re laughing at me!

But on a positive note, I know these two gay guys from the pub, always thought they’d sprung me as I’ve sometimes had some shockers and some that have shed pretty bad ( sometimes I scratch itchy bit at front where bio hair grows, and get bald /thin streak). But a month or so ago one says ‘hey! Do you dye your hair?’ ?!?! Rotfpmsl! I couldn’t believe it.

My supplier thus far salon- Norwood lace - and top lace ( one crappy unit in Singapore too)

Spent a fair bit in a year and half ouch!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My current unit is French lace, with a Swiss lace front. I was using Ghostbond XL, but with the super long hair in the system, cleanup was a disaster.

My vendor suggested Walker Ultra Hold tape, and I tried it, for the perimeter. It did a good job for about 5 days (I perspire, and it's super hot, here). Still using Ghostbond for the front. It worked well, and now am going to try full tape!

The clean up is much easier, 99% alcohol and no glue buggers left all over the place.

No sweat + scalp protector is a MUST! Without it, the unit slid right off!

If you are looking for a new vendor... my guys, are amazing. Perfect fit, color, density, hairline.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what your question is. If you want a system to look as good as possible you need to do maintenance. You won’t get a week with zero lifting in the hairline, you’ll need to do touch-ups after a couple of days. Touch-ups are easy, just clean the small area and glue it.

Regarding systems, you should always do a custom order IMO, graduated hairline with bleached knots and low density all over. If you want to expose your hairline you need a thin base, but thins bases are fragile and I’m not sure if you’ll get 3 months out of them. Go to the northwest lace forum, you’ll get more help there.

Glues and tapes you have to try until you find what works for you. Also use a scalp protector.

Noah

Reaction score
hi Big Bear, sorry to hear you've been through the mill on this stuff. It's frustrating to get so close to a solution and not be able to find a single viable answer. Hair replacement is up there with used cars and life insurance in terms of business ethics. There are a lot of rip-off merchants out there, and even more people who just don't know what they're doing and are not keeping pace with developments. But there are decent places too.

As you know, I am a fan of lace. Skin looks great, but i just hate the thought of having an impermeable plastic cap on my head when I'm working out etc. The glue seepage issues come from applying the piece before the glue is properly dry - it has to be dry - the consistency of the gum on the back of a Post-it Note - before you lay the lace mesh on it.

I take the piece off and re-bond it every week. I could get longer, but I like the feeling of starting the weekend with a fresh tight bond. The upside is that clean-up after a week is a piece of cake. The glue hasn't had a chance to break down and get gunky, so it's really easy and quick to clean up. I have two identical hairpieces which I swap over every week, which makes the weekly swap easier and quicker, so that's something you could think about - it's not any more expensive, because you get double the lifespan from your matching pair of pieces. The point I am trying to make is that if you have to de-/re- every week, it's not a disaster, and there are some upsides.

If you have experimented with different glues and tapes and you haven't found one that gives you a decent hold, the next thing is to try scalp protector between your scalp and your adhesives, and maybe also an anti-perspirant like Maxxam if you think sweat is the cause of your bond failing.

I'm PMing you a few suggestions about suppliers.