Getting A Haircut: How Short Is Too Short?

zakmandoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there! Quick question...I'm going in for a haircut, and want to try out a shorter look, but I'm curious about how short a hair system can be cut.

I'm currently using a lace front system with poly perimeter, and don't want the edge or the lace to be visible. I'm also concerned that if I cut it too short, the hair will stick up, instead of laying flat. I'd prefer not to have to use a bunch of gel/product to get it to lay flat.

What is the shortest you think I could cut it?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Zakmandoo

If partly depends on the density. All-lace systems can be cut pretty short - say half-an-inch - but the poly perimeter is likely to be visible on your system if you cut it that short, unless it is a high density unit.

Also, you say your unit is a lace front system. Does that mean the rest of the base is not lace? If so, that will mean there is a join between the two base materials which could also become visible if you cut it too short.

There are also particular circumstances which make the base more visible. Even if everything looks OK in normal lighting, you need to check what it looks like under bright downlighters - the sort you get in elevators, for example. They can be brutal in exposing tape, poly strips etc.

Assuming your piece is not too low a density, I would say you would be safe with an inch. If you want to go lower than that, you should think of getting an all-lace unit, and maybe specifying brush-forward or brush-back ventilation, so that you avoid the hair sticking up when it is cut short.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will add... you DO NOT want to cut a hair system with clippers!!! They can snag the base... and the results will not be uniform. I trashed a system trying that.

Reactions: TEG