German scientists turn stem cells into hair follicles!

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is new or real. The page is in german, here is the
link via Google translate:

http://translate.google.com/transla...ich-Locken-auf-der-Glatze-drehen.html&act=url

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
This appears to be legit from googling it and seeing it a couple of other places.

Hopefully we will hear more on this soon.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I have an easier time trying to read the article in German than trying to read Google's translation. Can somebody give a synopsis on this story?

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
That's good, hopefully this will speed the process up, the more companies investing in this the better, the first company to come up with a substantial solution for hair loss, will reap the most money. So maybe will see something within two or three years, instead of five years

Re75

Reaction score
KP211 said:
That's good, hopefully this will speed the process up, the more companies investing in this the better, the first company to come up with a substantial solution for hair loss, will reap the most money. So maybe will see something within two or three years, instead of five years

And propecia and Bosley are just going to sit on their hands and sigh that the golden days of profit are over? I'm sure they will have lobbyists slowing this down with the FDA here in the US, or buying out the companies or something.

I stopped following the story so I'm not sure what exactly happened but didn't Bosley buy up Intercytex as a partner, so if they did come up with anything good they could just infuse it with their shittier programs.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
Re75 said:
KP211 said:

And propecia and Bosley are just going to sit on their hands and sigh that the golden days of profit are over? I'm sure they will have lobbyists slowing this down with the FDA here in the US, or buying out the companies or something.

I stopped following the story so I'm not sure what exactly happened but didn't Bosley buy up Intercytex as a partner, so if they did come up with anything good they could just infuse it with their shittier programs.

good point but does that really effect Europe and Asia? I mean does Bosley have power over there too?

Letac

Reaction score
What do you guys think; Is it a fools hope to think that we`ll have some kind of "cure" within the next 5 years? Meaning unlimited supply of donor-hair or some kind of injection that makes the hair grow back. This meaning that one person can have a full head of hair, and not a thin transplanted one caused by limited supply of donor hair...

I know that it`s impossible to predict, but I feel that we cant compare it to the old days, since we now have so many corporations working on this, and the winner will surely get loaded with cash! One would believe that the chase for a cure would be imense these days... But that`s only my opinion. If I were to predict something, I would really guess that there would be something happening within the next years.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
obviously no one can really predict. People have been saying 5 years from now for the longest but whatever the cure is and whenever it comes out i think it will be related to stem cells.

Just the other day i read an article about how stem cells might had cured HIV.

Letac

Reaction score
5 years, yes... I guess that something should happen within the next 5 years, but as we both agree on, no one can really predict, but after some years of trying and failing, the science should have made it this far by now. Especially since there are so many corporations working on this at the moment... I know that there are many people who were talking about the same things some years back, but if you look at the present time, I would believe that the science has come so far that there SHOULD be a solution soon..(meaning the next 5 or so years..)

Are there any scientists who has predicted any solution on the male pattern baldness?

I guess that the people who will come up with a cure will make more money than Bill Gates, and I guess thats a motivation for pretty much everyone in the buisness:)

Stem cells would maybe be my guess as well... I guess something that they can inject into the scalp so that the hairs that are "down" would start to regrow. But I will find a lot of comfort if they only can give a person unlimited source of donor hair as well. This would give us a full head of hair...though maybe a bit expensive, but I guess if there will be something like this on the market the more people will get involved and the prices will go down...

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, Histogen say they can have their product on the market in US by 2015 and earlier in other countries...

http://www.histogen.com/products/hsc.htm

Let's hope so!

Although, I'm sure Merck will have some kind of gameplan to stall and disrupt the introduction of these new hairloss treatments onto the market, in an effort to preserve their profits for as long as possible.

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
If I´ve understood this, an injection is supposed to produce new hair follicles in the scalp, but how can they be sure it´ll grow the right way?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no..bosley and some other companies from US don't really have any power here in Europe and especially in Asia...that's why histogen are conducting their trial session in Asia...
Nobody knows when the cure will be available but I think we are close...and I am not one of these guys that keep saying " the scientiests were speking about cure even 10 or 20 years ago"...now it is a big difference there are people involved in clinical trials ...there are many companies with better technology and more knowledge... so maybe the cure will be available in maximum 10 years from now on...

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if the histogen will work then it will just revive the old follicles so it should follow the previous directions...

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
if the histogen will work then it will just revive the old follicles so it should follow the previous directions...
Is that true? I remember having read somewhere long ago that the follicles are not really dead but in some way dormant. If it is so then "all it takes" is to just wake them up (double quotes for obvious reasons).

Letac

Reaction score
I have read the same thing, that the follicles are`nt dead, but in a way resting. But either way, if the manage to regrow them, I guess that it should be possible to angle them in the right position with the current science that they are using. In a way you could use these hairs to get the hair more dense, and transplant some hair from the the back to the front to get the right look on it. Meaning that I`m not to worried about these things as long as they manage to regrow the hair.

Hopefully there will be some kind of breaktrough soon, and hopefully there will be no big corporations standing in the way just because they want to earn money on their old products.

I`m really looking forward to Histogens second trial is finished. Does any one know when this will be? They are starting these days, and I guess it`ll take a year or so...

I sendt an e-mail to the acell company and they said that at this time next year they would know a whole lot more if the product really would work or not.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Letac said:
I guess that the people who will come up with a cure will make more money than Bill Gates, and I guess thats a motivation for pretty much everyone in the buisness:)

nerdwin.png

I higely doubt it...

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re75 said:
KP211 said:

And the winner for 'Most Depressing Post of 2010' goes to ....

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
From: http://www.biotechnologie.de/BIO/Navigation/EN/Funding/foerderbeispiele,did=104568.html

"We can create an artificial hair follicles," says Horland. However, they remain somewhat smaller than their natural counterparts, and the hair that emerges from the follicles is thinner. In principle, however, it is extremely similar to natural hair.

If they are able to implant these follicles even thin hair is better than no hair.

A question I have is if they grow these hair follicles outside the body(in a dish?) and then implant them like a normal transplant is done now (not injected directly) how dense can the hair be?

Can they place hairs now during a hair transplant at full density but don't due to a limited donor supply?