German scientists turn stem cells into hair follicles!

Letac

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree! But I guess if they manage to regrow some kinda of hair, they should be able to thicken this somehow. My biggest concern is if the hair actually keeps growing through more than one hair-cycle.

I dunno how dense the hair actually can be. Someone else have any idea about this??? Hopefully one can get a fully highly dense hair, but I`m not sure if this is only a fools hope from me.

Hopefully the different studies can be combined so that you may have to transplant some hair, but can keep the strong and healthy with some kind of injection, if there`s no chance that we can actually grow a full head of hair that will stay for the rest of the life. That would truly be a huge dream...that I dont dare to dream yet, but these news gives a person hope!:)

The scientist said that they should be able to grow a persons hair within the next year. If this is true, and will be realized, I guess we might have some kind of cure within the next two-three years? Have they said anything about when they will start this procedure?

This is really good news for all of us, and truly a great christmasgift if it for once should be true!:)

Merry christmas to everyone out there!:)

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
If the Daily Mail article is accurate in what it says, this is the first time we have concrete progress in the hair multiplication front. Sure, for the moment it is about animal cells but there is no reason the same cannot be done with human cells.

The biggest question here is in which way these follicles would be used to treat/cure MBP. I think that if this research team can attract enough funding and interest from other players in the field, their breakthrough has the potential to lead in a matter of years to much better treatments than what we have today.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And when Propecia came out in 1997 we were sure there would be even better drugs in the next 5 years well.......................................................................

It's great to have hope and maybe someday something real will be available.

I just want to say one thing as I have been reading a lot of posts lately about guys getting hair transplant's now figuring they can dense pack the hairline and when the donor is exhausted one of these products will be out.

DON'T GET A hair transplant HOPING A NEW PRODUCT WILL COME ALONG AND SAVE YOU IF YOU ARE OUT OF DONOR HAIR IN 5, 10 OR EVEN 20 YEARS !!

This is especially true of guys looking to get hair transplant's who are younger than 30. With the right planning and hair loss that isn't too aggressive transplants can be great, assume all the hair you have now is all you will ever have in getting a hair transplant.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
HT55 said:
And when Propecia came out in 1997 we were sure there would be even better drugs in the next 5 years well.......................................................................

It's great to have hope and maybe someday something real will be available.

I just want to say one thing as I have been reading a lot of posts lately about guys getting hair transplant's now figuring they can dense pack the hairline and when the donor is exhausted one of these products will be out.

DON'T GET A hair transplant HOPING A NEW PRODUCT WILL COME ALONG AND SAVE YOU IF YOU ARE OUT OF DONOR HAIR IN 5, 10 OR EVEN 20 YEARS !!

This is especially true of guys looking to get hair transplant's who are younger than 30. With the right planning and hair loss that isn't too aggressive transplants can be great, assume all the hair you have now is all you will ever have in getting a hair transplant.

:agree:

That is the mistake I made. I bought into all the "HM" BS back in 2004 when I decided to have my first hair transplant.... BIG mistake! Not only should I have stayed away from hair transplants (they were just not right for me), but we're also still hearing the same old "HM is only 3 to 5 years away" BS. Now I need HM badly to "bail me out" for my bad hair transplant decisions. And I continue to wait... and wait ...and wait ...etc... :(

Back when Hair loss help was basically an Armani advertising forum everyone was talking HM being right around the corner. That was 2006 and slowly but surely those people are showing up on the repair forums over at HTN and the word ARMANI is not even allowed on HLH today. I hope Farrel sleeps good letting all that Armani BS go on for years and banning many members ( me included) who questioned his mega FUE and dense packed hairlines some of which was done on people as young as 22.

Letac

Reaction score
I understand what you guys are saying, and I`m not jumping in the air just yet, but would`nt you think that we should have come a bit on the way by now, especially when you are looking at the latest results? Meaning that when they are talking about a "cure" within the next years to come (2-5/6) it might actually be true this time?

I`m still only 28 and do have all right hair, but I can clearly see that it`s receding. Not fast, but still. I have thought about taking a FUE transplant for the density. I will not consider any other transplant cause of the scaring, but if I take a transplant within the next year and keep on using Propecia, rogain and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I might keep my hair for some years still, Maybe even as far as when the time comes for some kind of cure. I can see that the propecia (after 7 months) etc is working on me but I`m dreaming of a thicker frontals, so is it such a dumb idea to take a smal FUE-transplant?

My choice to make a FUE will not be based on a dream about a cure within the net 5 years, but I do really believe that there`s something that will happen soon. It might be a fools hope, and I know that there has been people before thinking the same, but we are now in 2010/11, and the progress within the science is big!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Letac said:
I understand what you guys are saying, and I`m not jumping in the air just yet, but would`nt you think that we should have come a bit on the way by now, especially when you are looking at the latest results? Meaning that when they are talking about a "cure" within the next years to come (2-5/6) it might actually be true this time?

I`m still only 28 and do have all right hair, but I can clearly see that it`s receding. Not fast, but still. I have thought about taking a FUE transplant for the density. I will not consider any other transplant cause of the scaring, but if I take a transplant within the next year and keep on using Propecia, rogain and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I might keep my hair for some years still, Maybe even as far as when the time comes for some kind of cure. I can see that the propecia (after 7 months) etc is working on me but I`m dreaming of a thicker frontals, so is it such a dumb idea to take a smal FUE-transplant?

My choice to make a FUE will not be based on a dream about a cure within the net 5 years, but I do really believe that there`s something that will happen soon. It might be a fools hope, and I know that there has been people before thinking the same, but we are now in 2010/11, and the progress within the science is big!

If you go to the right Dr and plan on NOTHING ever being available to increase donor hair counts than you will probably be OK if your ahir loss is stable and are able to take Propecia.

I don't follow the new miracle drugs that much as nothing ever seems to live up to the hype, is anything even in stage 3 trials yet ?

Stage 3 trials can take 5 years or more as they usual perform more than one stage 3 trial

BTW FUE has more scarring than strip it's just spaced out farther and the eye doesn't pick it up like the strip scar but it's there.

If you want extensive no BS advice about the FUE procedure contact Dr Allan Feller as he was the only Dr on the HLH forum to call out Armani on his FUE and took a lot of $hit for it but in the end he was 100% correct

http://www.fellermedical.com/What_is_FUE.htm

Letac

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I think my hairloss is kinda stable and I think I`m reacting in a good way from Propecia, but the hair is still diffuse thin in the crown and in the front. Not to bad, but if I dont use Propecia etc, I guess my hair will fall out on the top. That`s why I`m considering a FUE, to get the hair more dense. Hopefully I will manage to keep it that way, if I decide to go for a FUE.

Any idea if Propecia will keep your hair like it is if you keep taking it? Meaning that if I take a FUE and keep on the Propecia it might go well. If I`m reacting well on the propecia that is.

Sorry for spamming this with these questions. Last question:)

I dont think any of the "miracle drugs" have reached stage 3 yet. I know that one of them are starting stage 2 trials during the winter/spring. And then you have the one from the german scientists. They said that they should be able to create a human hair within the next year. Concerning Acell and their progress, they should know a whole lot more during the year to come. I asked them, and got the answer above. Late next fall, they should know more about how it will work.

Re75

Reaction score
So what are the chances that a stem cell cure could recover this type of baldness? It just seems like it's impossible for regrowth in the front when if you have that type of loss the area has been a follicle deadzone for quite some time.

I can tell this is where I am headed from the way I shed, I'm not that bad yet but in time, I know it's going to be like this.
2ivyb6b.jpg

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
pretty sure there is a photo of this actor floating around because he had a hair transplant with some good results. About fue the guy who said you have more scarring than strip i dont think so. I personally had fue done and I cut my sides and back with a number one guard something you could never do with strip without someone noticing. I healed up nicely cant notice hair was taken from donor. Anyway I had fue done to buy me time until something serious comes out hopefully they get this here in the next three to four years otherwise I may need another fue hair transplant by then but I hope not since im using finasteride and a few other things now.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
Re75 said:
I can tell this is where I am headed from the way I shed, I'm not that bad yet but in time, I know it's going to be like this.

That's close to where I am right now. A lot of people are asking me to shave my head. However, I am waiting for my scalp to shave itself. :whistle:
At this level I believe only a strip transplant can make a difference.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
HT55 said:

I like the results that Acell is giving. If its restore the thickness of hair which comes the donor, then it will easier to get a good coverage. The biggest problem with hair transplants is they give a thinning hair result.

http://www.regrowshair.com/hair-loss-blo ... matristem/

Plus if the scars are repaired, to cover the non-pigmented areas you can use tattoos.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
Letac said:

If you want to get a FUE hair transplant wait for the restoration Robotics device to come out. This will be out by 2012. With the Restoration Robotics tools, Drs will have an easier time to pull out hair from the donor area.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2010/08/18/r ... ticipants/

Also remember with the current transplant technology if the hair is removed from the donor area it will loose some of its thickness. So far the experiments from Acell have shown a slight recovery on that.

http://www.regrowshair.com/hair-loss-blo ... matristem/