Generic vs Brand name Finasteride, switching between them.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone made a switch between generic and brand name finasteride and noticed any changes in results? Either good or bad changes...

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone made a switch between generic and brand name finasteride and noticed any changes in results? Either good or bad changes...
Stick with whatever you were getting good results from. Some people are sensitive to change, switching brands unnecessarily can induce an increase in shedding in a small amount of people, but at the end of the day only you know what is normal, so you need to listen and act to what works best for yourself.

Last edited:

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with whatever you were getting good results from. Some people are sensitive to change, switching brands unnecessarily can induce an increase in shedding in a small amount of people, but at the end of the day only you know what is normal, so you need to listen and act to what works best for yourself.
Have you found finasteride has lost any efficacy over the years?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you found finasteride has lost any efficacy over the years?
No not really..... I have only had poor results when my current brand has been discontinued, and I have had to try several new brands until i find one that im happy with. But once I have found one that works, i'm able to recover and continue to maintain as usual. The results will largely been down to what your final Norwood pattern will be and how fast you are balding, which is why the results vary so much between long term users. Ive been fortunate that ive had the right pattern of hair loss for it to be able to treat.

Last edited:

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No not really..... I have only had poor results when my current brand has been discontinued, and I have had to try several new brands until i find one that im happy with. But once I have found one that works, i'm able to recover and continue to maintain as usual. The results will largely been down to what your final Norwood pattern will be and how fast you are balding, which is why the results vary so much between long term users. Ive been fortunate that ive had the right pattern of hair loss for it to be able to treat.
have you ever used propecia or proscar? whats your dosage are you 1mg or 1.25?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
have you ever used propecia or proscar? whats your dosage are you 1mg or 1.25?
I have never used propecia so can't comment on that, I used proscar (1.25) for most of the first decade, (that was kind of my bench mark to compare other results to) then other Generic (1.25) for a further 10years, until this year when I switched to 1mg

If people have never had good results on the generic they are on I would recommend trying Proscar, but I wouldn't necessarily advise swapping to it, if what they are on is working well, as simply the act of swapping can cause a temporary shed.

Last edited:

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have never used propecia so can't comment on that, I used proscar (1.25) for most of the first decade, (that was kind of my bench mark to compare other results to) then other Generic (1.25) for a further 10years, until this year when I switched to 1mg

If people have never had good results on the generic they are on I would recommend trying Proscar, but I wouldn't necessarily advise swapping to it, if what they are on is working well, as simply the act of swapping can cause a temporary shed.
Which brand are you using now? Do you think higher doses such as 5mg work better than 1mg?

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Over 13 years, I've tried all kinds of generic (Fincar, Finast) from overseas/online pharmacies, and I've taken generic from a US pharmacy with a legit prescription. I avoided the US pharmacy versions of 1mg finasteride because of the ridiculous cost, but I started on a US version since December 2020 and I think it's more effective. My Doctor told me to use GoodRx to keep the cost down and 1mg is super cheap. Just my experience.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which brand are you using now?
Currently on Mylan, seems to be holding up well at the moment but will take another 18 months before I know for sure.

Do you think higher doses such as 5mg work better than 1mg?
I don't personally know, its not meant to make much of a difference, but there have been several other users who mention they need to take 2.5mg ED or EOD to get the required effect. So I guess in some people it might be more effective.

jazz1

Reaction score
I would not switch brands, I read cases over the years where people switching brands end up shedding and losing ground….

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not switch brands, I read cases over the years where people switching brands end up shedding and losing ground….
i switched to try proscar and didnt see any difference so i have gone back to generic. price difference is crazy

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. Been on finasteride for 6 years and suddenly noticed thinning/shedding lately, couldn't figure out why other than just losing ground. I realize that the generic finasteride I have a subscription for changed brands which could explain it. Wonder if I should ask my doctor for another brand or just stick with this one and see if it gets better after this shed.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. Been on finasteride for 6 years and suddenly noticed thinning/shedding lately, couldn't figure out why other than just losing ground. I realize that the generic finasteride I have a subscription for changed brands which could explain it. Wonder if I should ask my doctor for another brand or just stick with this one and see if it gets better after this shed.
If you were stable for a long period prior to swapping. I would 100% swap back to the exact brand you were on before. (unless its been discontinued).

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Which brand were you on and what are you using now?

Tiyi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Used both brand and generic, no difference to me, except for the price.
So happy :) I've got finasteride here with promocode "GET10"

Last edited: