Garlic works by the same mechanism of action as minoxidil

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Garlic opens the potassium channels. It is EXACTLY the same principle of action as Minoxidil and even significantly better.
Then why do people take minoxidil when garlic works so much better?

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
No one knows exactly how minoxidil works. It's a drug with a multi-faceted effect; opening potassium channels is just one of its effects and would likely do very little if that is all it did.

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In a study it could be shown that the opening of the Potassium-channels is the main mechanism of action. It is very easy to check. You just have to block the potassium channels and see if minoxidil is still working. Result: NO! Then no longer works.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Additionally, alliin demonstrated potent inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-induced angiogenesis in the CAM model.

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Garlic inhibits DHT (bald wearers have significantly increased DHT levels in the scalp due to the high histamine levels):

Garlic inhibits P. acnes (increased levels were observed in subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia):

Garlic works against Malassezia (as well as ketoconazole!). Bald people have significantly increased Malassezia fungi!

Garlic acts as a potassium channel opener (same principle of action as Minoxidil!) And promotes blood circulation and muscle relaxation:

Garlic contains two prostaglandins: A2 and F1a (prostaglandins, except D2, promote hair growth!)

Garlic inhibits mast cells and prostaglandin D2 (bald people have significantly increased mast cells and PGD2 in the scalp!)

Garlic has an anti-fibrotic effect by inhibiting TGF-beta (bald people have increased TGF-beta and 4x more collagen in the bald areas!)

.... and it actually works. Users report significantly better results than with standard treatments such as minoxidil or dutasteride:

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Allicin (main active ingredient in garlic) is a SUR2 opener:
(The sylfonylurea receptor 2 (SUR2) causes blood pressure lowering, while SUR1 does the opposite)
the expression of the sulfonylurea receptor 2B in dermal papilla cells during the production of adenosine also seems to be the mechanism of action of minoxidil:

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought all the onion and garlic stuff was worthless cope. Exciting if its actually a tool we can use.

Honestly the studies are good and all, but the threads you linked saying it worked are pretty lackluster. Basically they are always one guy without pictures who posts about garlic and gets mocked.

Last edited:

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, many people make the mistake of mixing garlic with other things. That is a big problem. Because garlic works as it is. As soon as you dissolve garlic in fat, it no longer works. The pH value must not be changed either. Garlic also increases calcium intracellularly. Would you combine garlic with things that inhibit it, such as Peppermint oil, it could be ineffective as well.
You should definitely use the pure juice. Without dilution with alcohol.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may wanna check this dude out

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You may wanna check this dude out
In the comments that gentleman said that Nizoral stopped his hairloss in its tracks
1605465475858.png

He probably had some sort of fungus rather than male pattern baldness right?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Garlic opens the potassium channels. It is EXACTLY the same principle of action as Minoxidil and even significantly better.

Not all potassium channel openers grow hair, so that isn't the only or main MoA responsible for hair growth. Garlic does not work.

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
how does everyone say this works in the comments? i might try this sh*t out since I am a huge loner atm anyways

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not all potassium channel openers grow hair, so that isn't the only or main MoA responsible for hair growth. Garlic does not work.
But. ALL! This is what the Pubmed studies say. You can check it out.

Fungi increase mast cells. These mast cells lower IGF-1 by 60%, increase DHT by 80% and also increase prostaglandin D2, since this prostaglandin is a component of mast cells.
It is also correct that ket shampoo works against Androgenetic Alopecia on its own and has already led to new growth. There are also studies on this.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you want something which is not proven to work, even if minoxidil works because of potassium channel opening, why not use a more potent version of it as topical min which works in about 60% of people, what if garlic works in 1/100 people for Androgenetic Alopecia? Its like why use saw palmetto when it does the same thing but at sh*t potency and can cause same sides. The question is what is the molecule in garlic which causes this.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is not know how exactly minoxidil work on male pattern baldness. There is not a single study that really show it, plus not all the potassium channels opens works on hair loss.