Fue Scarring / Hair Cut Dilemma - Predictive Factors?

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some online consultations for FUE work in the crown. I'm 42 and my hair loss seems to have stabilised only deteriorating very slightly year by year.

The problem is i've just discovered a new hairstyle which involves a 0.5 blade back and sides, with a very high fade. I am very happy with the look although it only lasts 1 week. My fear with FUE is that should it not be successful i will be robbed of option to have said hair cut due to FUE white dot scarring.

Any thoughts on how to navigate through this dilemma? Can one predict who will have scarring and to what degree? I am surprised i do not hear more stories of people trying a very small procedure as a dry run to test the waters before going for a larger procedure.

Thanks
Spooon

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
A high fade implies the very short buzz extends further up the scalp - why do you say 'you should be fine'?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
A high fade implies the very short buzz extends further up the scalp - why do you say 'you should be fine'?
Because from what I've seen a very short buzz very adequately disguises the minimal scarring from FUE. This is the point of FUE, you can still wear your hair extremely short.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should be okay but there are not guarantees. All surgery gives a scar, question of how visibile it is. You're right about the white tiny dots all over. So it comes down to the size of the punch they use for extraction and your healing characteristics. Some races don't heal so well. Black people are prone to hypertrophic scars for example.

I had an FUE and I have healed really well even though it's just past a week.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Wolfpack where did you get yours done?

Any reason why I couldn't get a really small procedure (i dunno...25 grafts?) done as a dry run?

shookwun

Reaction score
Perfectly fine.

dr. cole

Reaction score
Goodness, you should be fine. If you have any issue, you can do SMP. Here is an example. The improvement is immediate and resolves the problem so that you can shave the head the next day. Note that the redness is just because the photo was taken immediately after the treatment. I high fade should not be an issue without SMP.

Attachments

• Cole_fig18_SMP_White_dots.jpg
    Cole_fig18_SMP_White_dots.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 447