Fucked by Finasteride - read it for an informed decision

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: f***ed by Finasteride - read it for an informed decision

Yeah, well, I've already softened the tone and explained myself in my later posts, so I don't know why you've gone back to the first one.

There's no need to become offended by what I've said. I'm not an expert on this subject or the human body and I don't claim to be. I don't link to scientific reports and then purport to interpret them like I've seen anti-propecia people do on here. And as I clarified in one of my later posts that I wrote after the one you quoted, I haven't concluded that permanent side effects are not real, and I'm not going to solely based on people's hysterical claims on the internet about it (I'm not talking about you), just like I don't assume that the stuff about rogaine causing wrinkles is true or in any way likely to happy to me based on people's internet claims. And I'm not saying that everyone who says these things are happening are lying or imagining their symptoms, I'm just saying I'm not going to believe that there's a causal link with propecia (and no other cause) until a lot more actual research is done.

It's too easy to call a source biased just because they have an opinion and it doesn't match your own. If they're pro-propecia, that's probably because the real evidence leads them to that conclusion. There's a lot of crap on the net about hair loss, and it's clear that the bald truth talk and the american hair loss association are two of the most reputable sources of information. One person told a guy who was thinking of taking finasteride to look at propeciahelp.com as "research". Like wtf, that's not proper research. And you've referred to it too. That's not an unbiased or reputable source by a long shot.

But anyway, the survey wasn't linked to prove that side effects aren't real (because a survey can't do that), just to show that permanent side effects, assuming they're real and they're caused by propecia, are incredibly rare. And I think that's important , because you've got people going around saying ridiculous things about the level of risk involved and acting like there's a 50/50 chance of propecia f*****g up the rest of your life (and again, I don't mean you).

I think my point can be summarised by referring the forum rule at the top of the page, which I didn't see until just now: "Please remember that this forum is not an accurate representation of how common side effects are. The minority who do experience them tend to seek out online sources for help. Clinical study data is the only reliable source for this information."

So when some guy posts some random quote from a person allegedly having permanent side effects, take it with a grain of salt and put it in perspective. Especially when the person posting it has 95% of its posts being anti-propecia sentiments. He's clearly got an agenda.

barcafan said:
But you're just some dummy on a forum. See there's doctors and studies (along with real life people, in the thousands or more) PROVING that such things exist, what is it all in their heads as well? Theres no room for opinion on this, its pure fact

So I'm just some dummy to be ignored, but the people coming along with their incredible, outlandish stories are to be believed without questioning? Yeah, alright. What are you talking about when you say "such thing". Have you actually read this thread or just skimmed it? There's no conclusive proof that propecia causes permanent side effects. Do you even understand the concept of proof? It's a high standard, much freaking higher than a bunch of sh*t from laypeople on the internet. Show me the studies that 'prove' it.

Well, I think that's it from me on this. I'm surprised how much people have bought into this and think that it's a proven fact. I guess if you spend enough time on here and hear enough scary stories about it, it just seems true and like a real risk. Whatever. We'll know exactly what's happening as more research is done.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score

monty1978 said:
Why the hell are you here really. I mean you have never taken finasteride, you are never going to, you aren't a doctor of any kind.

If PFS is outlandish hysteria why are there legal firms queing up to take merk to court; why are there world class endocrinologist treating men for it; why did I have to see and endocrinologist for low testosterone and high estrogen that was persistent for over a year after taking the drug; why are there studies to show that in athletes taking finasteride there is a gradual increase in estrogen in "all" men taking it over a prolonged period. You don't think the body can normalise at these new levels and remain there for long periods of time despite a whole forum of people and thousands of men complaining of life altering symptoms.

Please stop talking about something you do not and will not understand.

:jackit:

Don't feed the "twenty.five" troll. I'm pretty sure he's a 2nd account of someone here in the forum with to much time on his hands. He also claims that he's female (Why would he be so obsessed about male pattern baldness then?) :jackit:

Link

Reaction score

I would just like to say, that after taking Propecia for about a month, cutting the tablets in half, i stopped the drug and wound up getting these side effects about 2 weeks after stopping the treatment.

Joint/Muscle Pains and Numbness
Numbness in the Genital area
Back Pains
Absolutely zero libido (Any female I found attractive beforehand was nothing now)
Erectile Disfunction (Couldn't get it up no matter how hard I tried)

Fortunately after about 2/3 weeks these have subsided and I look to be back to 100%, but said weeks were some of the scariest and not to mention devastating weeks of my life, i'm 22, so to think that this could possibly affect me for years was soul crushing. During these weeks i kept thinking that i'd give every hair on my head to just feel back to how I was pre-finasteride, I was one of the lucky ones really, some aren't so.

Just have to say I know it was my choice, but it was a stupid one at that and these sides are very real. Was it all anxiety? etc. No. my mindset was fine, infact despite being very scared I was still my happy and normal self and thankfully the drug didn't affect me in any way mentally.

To everyone who is currently taking Propecia i wish them luck and hope that it doesn't affect them badly, to everyone suffering from the after effects I also wish them luck because i know how traumatic it can be.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

twenty.five said:
So when some guy posts some random quote from a person allegedly having permanent side effects, take it with a grain of salt and put it in perspective. Especially when the person posting it has 95% of its posts being anti-propecia sentiments. He's clearly got an agenda.

So we have hundreds (thousands) of guys coming on the various forums across the web reporting that propecia sexually destroyed them but your advice is to "take it with a grain of salt".

Atleast one confirmed suicide amongst countless other reports of devastated lives, but yes, no big deal, huh?

Agenda? Not me. I'm a reputable poster who has been here for many years. As is Monty, Enden et al, all guys with similar persisting effects.

As i said before, you've involved yourself in something you really have no clue about. I really don't see what has possessed you do to do so but your "advice" (yes, you're a girl coming on here telling giving guys some unqualified advice) but you have no place talking about things you have no experience with.

It's becoming increasingly clear there is a seemingly small chance of persistent effects. It might be 10%, 5% or 1% - that's not confirmed. But any such effect means people should be warned.

I think you should have a read at the members stories on propeciahelp if you wish to continue your special interest in this area. My advice however, is to walk away and stop getting involved in things much more sensitive than you'll ever appreciate.

I'm a guy from the UK. I've spoken to 20 or 30 other UK guys which similar issues from finasteride as myself (persisting). I've also read another 30 or 40 stories. I've spoken to Professor Bouloux a leading endochronologist based in London. He has treated (i use the word "Treated" loosely) over 40 guys like myself all dealing with these persisting effects. I've discussed the matter with him for about 1 hour on the phone aswell as speaking to various other top endos, urologists etc that are aware of the growing problem that is "post finasteride syndrome". My endo had one other guy like me himself.

Lets put it like this. Anyone close to the situation is now very aware of PFS. The people not so close remain ignorant for now.

You belong in the second category. That's ok, i guess.

But don't go telling others to take stories like mine, Enden's etc with a "grain of salt" when there are guys signing up to propeciahelp on a daily basis saying finasteride has wrecked their lives.

I feel a moral responsibility to hepl people be aware of the risk, even if it's small. If i help one person, i'll be happy. You "advice" has destroyed people's lives, because so many guys like myself took finasteride without knowing there was actually normal guys' out there like themselves that got messed up by finasteride.

So again, do the decent thing and get out of here.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score

monty1978 said:
Why the hell are you here really. I mean you have never taken finasteride, you are never going to, you aren't a doctor of any kind.

If PFS is outlandish hysteria why are there legal firms queing up to take merk to court; why are there world class endocrinologist treating men for it; why did I have to see and endocrinologist for low testosterone and high estrogen that was persistent for over a year after taking the drug; why are there studies to show that in athletes taking finasteride there is a gradual increase in estrogen in "all" men taking it over a prolonged period. You don't think the body can normalise at these new levels and remain there for long periods of time despite a whole forum of people and thousands of men complaining of life altering symptoms.

Please can you post the study showing it's effect in athletes and raised estrogen? I'm very sporty and although I want to keep my hair I don't want my body to suffer.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

gh05 said:
monty1978 said:

Please can you post the study showing it's effect in athletes and raised estrogen? I'm very sporty and although I want to keep my hair I don't want my body to suffer.

MERCK state this. The link has been posted here in the past.

On average 15% increase in estrogen.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score

Mens Rea said:
gh05 said:
monty1978 said:

MERCK state this. The link has been posted here in the past.

On average 15% increase in estrogen.

Isn't that increased estogen counteracted with increased testosterone though?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Supposed to be. I think in some guys though the estrogen just throws things off.

When I started on finasteride I had ball ache and low libido for a couple of weeks, then it rebounded and got really high, then it slowly declined until I got off of it. Very annoying. I prefer having my extremely high libido but finasteride does wonder sfor my hair.

Ugh.

I'm gonna give dutasteride a shot to see if I am one of the few who don't get sides on it.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score

Link said:
I would just like to say, that after taking Propecia for about a month, cutting the tablets in half, i stopped the drug and wound up getting these side effects about 2 weeks after stopping the treatment.

Joint/Muscle Pains and Numbness
Numbness in the Genital area
Back Pains
Absolutely zero libido (Any female I found attractive beforehand was nothing now)
Erectile Disfunction (Couldn't get it up no matter how hard I tried)

Fortunately after about 2/3 weeks these have subsided and I look to be back to 100%, but said weeks were some of the scariest and not to mention devastating weeks of my life, i'm 22, so to think that this could possibly affect me for years was soul crushing. During these weeks i kept thinking that i'd give every hair on my head to just feel back to how I was pre-finasteride, I was one of the lucky ones really, some aren't so.

Just have to say I know it was my choice, but it was a stupid one at that and these sides are very real. Was it all anxiety? etc. No. my mindset was fine, infact despite being very scared I was still my happy and normal self and thankfully the drug didn't affect me in any way mentally.

To everyone who is currently taking Propecia i wish them luck and hope that it doesn't affect them badly, to everyone suffering from the after effects I also wish them luck because i know how traumatic it can be.

You are incredibly lucky. It's amazing how different my life would be now if i got back to normal in a decent time frame. 2 years and getting worse. I still cannot believe it to this day.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score

Joe, a lot of what you wrote sounds like you have actual depression. Have you consulted a doctor about this?

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score

Of course i am depressed. Would you be happy if you had been involuntarily chemically castrated? my problems cause depression, not the other way round. Depression does not change your semen or numb and shrink your penis.

If i got better i would be happier than ever because i don't care about my hair anymore due to experiencing far worse. I can beat the depression very easily with exercise but that doesn't resolve my symptoms.

Are you familiar with how the medical system works? i can go to a doctor, tell them about my symptoms and they will most certainly blame it on anxiety and depression. I have seen a number of doctors who have done this. I tried trazodone as it can have sexual benefits in some people rather than negative sexual side effects that most anti depressants use and it made me feel terrible. I am now inclined to avoid anti depressants.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score

I started on Clomid - didn't like it and bailed. A LOT of guys have tried clomid on propeciahelp and it's done nothing.

I have taken up to 200 mg of zinc picolinate.

You never had bad side effects despite registering on propeciahelp and saying you wished you never touched the stuff.