Fucked by Finasteride - read it for an informed decision

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend you to check out this young man's experience with Finasteride.

http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/steroid- ... 99629.html

From his post:
"No libido whatsoever, no erections, no sexual thoughts, very low ejaculate, no orgasms

last year been facing extreme testicular regression and shutdown for no apparent reason, since the drug is out of my system 7 years now. Yet my last testing shows very low activity of 5-ar II, which converts T to dihydrotestosterone and very high estradiol levels.

My testicles have lost three quarters of their size and keep atrophying in extreme pains every day as we speak.

I have tried many many substances, drugs and herbs to stop this. The problem is that no matter how much i try to raise testosterone it mostly (90%) goes into estradiol and very very little if any goes to dihydrotestosterone which is what is needed for my testicles to survive."

Read the whole discussion - I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Re: f***ed by Finasteride - read it for an informed decision

A: Wrong forum

B: Everything in life has its risks. People die every day in car accidents. Many of us could ride a bike in to work, yet we drive our cars and risk death. It's called acceptable risk.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score

Agreed - yet everyone has to make informed decision and has to be aware of the risks they take when deciding to take Finasteride. It may go well but it may also may end up in a life-long, irreversible disaster. People have to understand that and fully accept it before taking the first pill in their mouths.

T

TravisB

I don't know any drug that has a whole forum dedicated to it's side effects. And this drug isn't even vital for you, since baldness isn't dangerous nor lethal. So the danger of taking finasteride is very real, and certainly isn't only in people's minds.
Risk of f*****g yourself up for the rest of your life is a bit too high price for saving your hair (which will fall out either way if you discontinue finasteride, but the side effects can stay).

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score

:agree:

People taking finasteride risk a whole lot more than loosing their hair

AoR

Reaction score

Agreed as well. It is not comparable to driving a car or riding a bike since 1. It is purely for cosmetic reasons and hence there is no necessity to take it whatsoever and 2. Regardless of side effects it IS disrupting your natural body chemistry. In other words, whether or not it has a noticeable effect it is definitely changing your body and there's no telling what kind changes that could mean for your body further down the road (10, 20 years).

I don't say this to judge anyone who is taking it or to appear a part of the anti-finasteride bandwagon. I just think everyone, including people who have had a good experience, should acknowledge and inform potential users of the risks.

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score

The anti-finasteride stuff about permanent side effects is such bullshit.

A few bitter old men who didn't get the results they wanted and imagined that their side effects continued after stopping the drug. It only takes a little bit of anxiety before you can't perform.

So they run around calling finasteride "poison", creating further anxiety and no doubt thereby increasing the number of men who think they've been affected, when the truth is that the vast majority of people have no sides, and those that do just stop and so do the sides. It's a modern day hysteria.

AoR

Reaction score

twenty.five said:

A few bitter old men who didn't get the results they wanted and imagined that their side effects continued after stopping the drug. It only takes a little bit of anxiety before you can't perform.

So they run around calling finasteride "poison", creating further anxiety and no doubt thereby increasing the number of men who think they've been affected, when the truth is that the vast majority of people have no sides, and those that do just stop and so do the sides. It's a modern day hysteria.

That is just wishful thinking.

If you actually researched this you would have found that many of the men who have experienced permanent side effects where in there early-mid 20s when they started the drug. You want me to believe they just coincidentally developed erectile and other sexual disfunction after taking finasteride and they are not related? I'm not that delusional.

Merck has even acknowledged the possible risk of permanent sexual disfunction, so why you would try to deny it is beyond me.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score

twenty.five said:

Ever read a Merck leaflet for propecia lately? If you do, read it every couple of months as the list of side effects is growing in size and severity. I wish you well mate.

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score

They have to list every reported side effect to cover they're own *** -- whether or the side effect has been proven to have occurred or whether or not it's proven to be caused by the drug.

So the fact that something is listed on a giant list of side effects isn't "proof" of anything. And no, I haven't looked at any Merck leaflets so I don't know what's listed, but once the hysteria and conspiracy theories regarding permanent sexual dysfunction reach a certain height, I wouldn't be surprised if Merck didn't put it as a potential side effect to knock out any potential litigation at the first hurdle.

Some were adverse reactions that showed up in clinical trials before a drug was marketed. Others were conditions patients reported when they were taking the drugs that may — or may not — have been caused by the drugs. Often there is no way to know why or how a side effect got reported.

Listing every inkling of an adverse reaction can help drug companies in lawsuits, Dr. Duke said. If someone sues about a side effect that is listed in the drug’s package insert, the company can say patients had been warned.

The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association says the companies are just complying with the F.D.A.’s requirement that they reveal all of a drug’s risks, “even if a clear causal connection between the medicine and the observed adverse event cannot be fully established,â€￾ a spokesperson for the group wrote in an e-mail.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/weeki ... drugs.html

Let me point out that I have no doubt that sexual dysfunction can occur while taking the drug, but what I have serious doubts about is whether it can cause permanent sexual dysfunction even after a person stops taking it. And if this side effect is possible, it is not as common as fearmongerers make it out to be. They talk about making "informed decisions", but what they're really doing is encouraging people to make decisions based on fear, not reason or evidence.

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score

Go f*** yourself, deary.

I was talking about permanent side effects that continue well after a person stops taking the drug. I made that pretty damn clear. And here you are talking about someone having side effects immediately after taking a tablet. Different subjects, love.

You obviously took what I said as some kind of personal criticism of you and your experience and failed to comprehend what I was saying.

Go read a book on logic before you try to discuss things as though you are a reasonable person.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score

twenty.five said:
They talk about making "informed decisions", but what they're really doing is encouraging people to make decisions based on fear, not reason or evidence.

Did you ever consider that the fearmongers are actually victims of this drug, and just trying to prevent others from going through the hell that they have gone through?

At the end of the day, it's your decision to take it. Just know that the drug has devastated some users.

AoR

Reaction score

twenty.five said:
I have serious doubts about is whether it can cause permanent sexual dysfunction even after a person stops taking it.

You can believe whatever you want, but like I said this is 100% wishful thinking. Most balding men want to believe that there is a safe option to halt or reverse a natural progression such as male pattern baldness, and are much more likely to make light of a serious risk because of that.

But it is clear you have absolutely nothing to back up your claim that permanent sides are not a real risk, so why anyone should listen to you is beyond me.

There is enough evidence through dozens of personal accounts (some of which can even be found on this site) and studies by doctors (ie people who actually know what they are talking about), to suggest that there is definitely a risk, even if a very small one.

So therefore reason and evidence both dictate one should make the informed decision, since once again baldness is a purely cosmetic issue and is only as threatening you as you let it be. I used finasteride very briefly myself so I hardly look down on anyone for taking it...for some people the risk is worth it. But everyone should think real hard about that first, and not just listen to some random person on a message board spewing mere speculation.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score

twenty.five said:

If you take 5 minutes to check out propeciahelp.com then you will find that most members are actually in there 20's to 30's.

I assume you take finasteride? you are just another user that is scared of persistent side effects and will do anything to defend the drug. Let's hope you don't end up with serious side effects.

By the way, erectile dysfunction is the very start of it. I am 20 years old and have been dealing with penile numbness, penile shrinkage and loss of colour, ED, no libido, disrupted sleep, depression and constant urge to urinate. This has been going on for 2 years.

twenty.five

Established Member
Reaction score

Joe-1991, I'm not on it and I won't ever be. I couldn't care less whether it's true or not, I just can't stand the bullshit.

AoR, the plural of anecdote isn't evidence. The stories on here are unverifiable, and more weight should be given to more objective evidence, like the studies you mentioned. Plus, how many millions of people take it each year, and yet there are only about a dozen people complaining of permanent side effects? Yet people are so scared they don't take a potentially helpful drug. Yeah, it's their decision whether to risk it or not, but they're being given the impression that the odds of permanent side effects are significant. Is that an informed decision?

imlosinit said:
twenty.five said:
They talk about making "informed decisions", but what they're really doing is encouraging people to make decisions based on fear, not reason or evidence.

Did you ever consider that the fearmongers are actually victims of this drug, and just trying to prevent others from going through the hell that they have gone through?

At the end of the day, it's your decision to take it. Just know that the drug has devastated some users.

We all know that people with sides on any drug are vocal, and the people without them don't bother saying anything or even joining forums. I'm probably a bit too cynical to think that those people are motivated by altruistric reasons when they run around constantly saying the same thing over and over again, exaggerating the possibilities of serious issues. Maybe they're just bitter, want to be heard, can't get over what's happened. (I also wonder how many of them have pre-existing mental conditions like OCD, anxiety disorders and personality disorders. I don't mean that as a slur and I'm not saying they're all crazy, I'm just genuinely curious what motivates them.)

There seems to be a number of people who have accounts here purely to talk about propecia being sh*t, and that's basically all they do is go into every post on propecia and tell the person to stop taking it and/or scare them with the potential for permanent side effects. I'm just trying to provide the other side to the "propecia is poison" argument that runs rampant in here.

As to the existence/likelihood of persistent side effects:
http://www.thebaldtruth.com/articles/pr ... r-fiction/

Mens Rea

Reaction score

twenty.five said:

Truth? TRUTH??!

Twenty.five, your posts are becoming offensive, ignorant and sincerely irritating.

You are so far outside the remit of your knowledge its simply embarassing.

Persistent finasteride side effects have destroyed lives. There's been atleast one documented suicide. No doubt you'll dispute the validity of this, but even if you read on the most basic latest studies about finasteride's persistent effects (see Dr Irwig's write up for instance) you'd know something is going on here. Check out propeciahelp.com and you'll see it goes far beyond hysteria - some of the best endochronologists in the world are recogising "Post-finasteride syndrome" as something that is very real indeed.

I personally, a 25 year old young male, have had my sexual function almost destroyed by finasteride (it goes worse and worse AFTER cessation - such is a common experience of PFS). This is not anxiety related. I won't go into the details but we are far beyond anything so incidental, i assure you.

The fact you believe its bullshit is simply proof you don't understand the human body in detail. But yet you take the libery to dismiss such a massive thing. Can you see how ignorant you are being and how offensive this is to people myself and hundreds of others?

Some guys , perfectly healthy, have had violent endoctrine crashes within weeks after cessation of the drug. Their body's just go haywire and they dont recover like that should.

Heres some useful facts about finasteride for you to ponder:

Finasteride inhibits the 5ARII enzyme which is responsible for converting testosterone to dihyrotestosterone (DHT) which is said to cause hair loss. The problem is that the 5ARII enzyme also has other functions such as the synthesis of a critical neurosteroid called allopregnanolone. Also the conversion from progesterone to dihyroprogesterone. finasteride causes the blood brain barrier.

Setting aside the obviously extremely complex issues this can cause for certain individuals in relation to the latter functions, lets just consider the basic endoctrine issues. Finasteride inhibits a hugely important hormone, DHT, the hormone responsible for "all things male" - this hormone is very prominant in the prostrate and scalp. Finasteride wrecklessly inhibits both. As a result, estrogen increases by 15% as does testosterone. From here there can be all kinds of complex feedback mechanisms within the endoctrine system being triggered. For most, this is inconsquential but for others, this can mark a change that is very hard to reverse. Many men have turned hypogondal after finasteride - their testosterone production is failing.

The above is only scratching the surface. For example, pressure on the endoctrine system as per above can call all sort of stress signals which can alter cortisol production (the adrenals) as well as much more complicated things like immunity.

Seriously, this subject is currently confusing some of the best minds in medicine. The ones who are active in its research are of no doubt that something profound is happening in cases such as mine. The bigger concern, however, is brain damage. Some guys lose a serious amount of cognitive ability post-cessation. This is scarey but when one researchs the specific mechanisms of finasteride it can quickly be concluded that it's a much more dangerous drug that most seem to realise. Most urologists know this is a serious drug and one that should only be used for older men who can live with sexual problems.

I hope my post can encourage you to realise you have been unreasonable in your tone and trigger happy with you "opinion".

Mens Rea

Reaction score

twenty.five said:
As to the existence/likelihood of persistent side effects:
http://www.thebaldtruth.com/articles/pr ... r-fiction/

Baldtruth is well known for being a little too pro-propecia, but even them, over the course of the last year, have retreated to a much more cautious approach.

At the end of the day, you'll find a website or a page to support any argument you wish to make. I and thousands of others know first hand what propecia can do.

That 1 in 30,000 figure is utter tripe, though and im sure it wouldn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny whatsoever. I'm not even going to debate that, it's an informal study from hair transplant surgeons. Not a doctor, a hair transplant surgeon. Firstly i dont think they will care too much about the after-care of such patients, secondly i doubt they record such reports anyway, and most importantly, most sufferers will naturally report to their GP's etc not their freaking hair transplant surgeon if they do have sexual problems thereafter. That page is ridiculous, but that has been exposed long ago.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score

Mens Rea said:
[quote="twenty.five":33fauf5f]The anti-finasteride stuff about permanent side effects is such bullshit.

Truth? TRUTH??!

Twenty.five, your posts are becoming offensive, ignorant and sincerely irritating.

You are so far outside the remit of your knowledge its simply embarassing.

Persistent finasteride side effects have destroyed lives. There's been atleast one documented suicide. No doubt you'll dispute the validity of this, but even if you read on the most basic latest studies about finasteride's persistent effects (see Dr Irwig's write up for instance) you'd know something is going on here. Check out propeciahelp and you'll see it goes far beyond hysteria - some of the best endochronologists in the world are recogising "Post-finasteride syndrome" as something that is very real indeed.

I personally, a 25 year old young male, have had my sexual function almost destroyed by finasteride (it goes worse and worse AFTER cessation - such is a common experience of PFS). This is not anxiety related. I won't go into the details but we are far beyond anything so incidental, i assure you.

The fact you believe its bullshit is simply proof you don't understand the human body in detail. But yet you take the libery to dismiss such a massive thing. Can you see how ignorant you are being and how offensive this is to people myself and hundreds of others?

Some guys , perfectly healthy, have had violent endoctrine crashes within weeks after cessation of the drug. Their body's just go haywire and they dont recover like that should.

Heres some useful facts about finasteride for you to ponder:

Finasteride inhibits the 5ARII enzyme which is responsible for converting testosterone to dihyrotestosterone (DHT) which is said to cause hair loss. The problem is that the 5ARII enzyme also has other functions such as the synthesis of a critical neurosteroid called allopregnanolone. Also the conversion from progesterone to dihyroprogesterone. finasteride causes the blood brain barrier.

Setting aside the obviously extremely complex issues this can cause for certain individuals in relation to the latter functions, lets just consider the basic endoctrine issues. Finasteride inhibits a hugely important hormone, DHT, the hormone responsible for "all things male" - this hormone is very prominant in the prostrate and scalp. Finasteride wrecklessly inhibits both. As a result, estrogen increases by 15% as does testosterone. From here there can be all kinds of complex feedback mechanisms within the endoctrine system being triggered. For most, this is inconsquential but for others, this can mark a change that is very hard to reverse. Many men have turned hypogondal after finasteride - their testosterone production is failing.

The above is only scratching the surface. For example, pressure on the endoctrine system as per above can call all sort of stress signals which can alter cortisol production (the adrenals) as well as much more complicated things like immunity.

Seriously, this subject is currently confusing some of the best minds in medicine. The ones who are active in its research are of no doubt that something profound is happening in cases such as mine. The bigger concern, however, is brain damage. Some guys lose a serious amount of cognitive ability post-cessation. This is scarey but when one researchs the specific mechanisms of finasteride it can quickly be concluded that it's a much more dangerous drug that most seem to realise. Most urologists know this is a serious drug and one that should only be used for older men who can live with sexual problems.

I hope my post can encourage you to realise you have been unreasonable in your tone and trigger happy with you "opinion".[/quote:33fauf5f]

:bravo:

barcafan

Reaction score

twenty.five said:
They have to list every reported side effect to cover they're own *** -- whether or the side effect has been proven to have occurred or whether or not it's proven to be caused by the drug.

So the fact that something is listed on a giant list of side effects isn't "proof" of anything. And no, I haven't looked at any Merck leaflets so I don't know what's listed, but once the hysteria and conspiracy theories regarding permanent sexual dysfunction reach a certain height, I wouldn't be surprised if Merck didn't put it as a potential side effect to knock out any potential litigation at the first hurdle.

Some were adverse reactions that showed up in clinical trials before a drug was marketed. Others were conditions patients reported when they were taking the drugs that may — or may not — have been caused by the drugs. Often there is no way to know why or how a side effect got reported.

Listing every inkling of an adverse reaction can help drug companies in lawsuits, Dr. Duke said. If someone sues about a side effect that is listed in the drug’s package insert, the company can say patients had been warned.

The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association says the companies are just complying with the F.D.A.’s requirement that they reveal all of a drug’s risks, “even if a clear causal connection between the medicine and the observed adverse event cannot be fully established,â€￾ a spokesperson for the group wrote in an e-mail.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/weeki ... drugs.html

Let me point out that I have no doubt that sexual dysfunction can occur while taking the drug, but what I have serious doubts about is whether it can cause permanent sexual dysfunction even after a person stops taking it. And if this side effect is possible, it is not as common as fearmongerers make it out to be. They talk about making "informed decisions", but what they're really doing is encouraging people to make decisions based on fear, not reason or evidence.

But you're just some dummy on a forum. See there's doctors and studies (along with real life people, in the thousands or more) PROVING that such things exist, what is it all in their heads as well? Theres no room for opinion on this, its pure fact