Frustrated with Hair Direct hair quality lately

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been with hairdirect for about 11 years now. Their customer service is top-notch but they do not offer any type of hair other than Chinese or Indian. During the pandemic they changed factories and the last two systems that I've received have been very poor quality. I wear a full lace , full cap with almost shoulder length hair.These last 2 systems have been dry and Tangles very easily. For some reason they come back with a slight wave despite the order being "bone straight".I realize there are a lot of other companies out there that offer a wider variety of hair. Anybody else having there issues?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't you post another thread on the same subject before? Yes, according to what I've been hearing from other guys who wear hair systems, many companies have had to change their production facilities and the quality of the hair on units seems to be much lower than before the pandemic. Have you contacted Hair Direct to complain and/or get a refund? Is there any chance of seeing a pic of these longer haired lower quality systems as I'm curious? (You can blank out your face of course if you prefer to remain anon, or post a pic of the system when it's off your head).

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Never posted anything for hair Direct. It seems since the pandemic the quality of hair has decreased across the board. I've never had any problems with the lace base whatsoever. It's always been the hair itself. Unfortunately lighter-colored hair is processed more and tends to dry out easier than others. Hair direct has a 30 day return policy. They do not refund your money but they will make a brand new system with no questions asked. The problem since the pandemic however is that a new system could take another six months.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My color is medium brown. I would recommend staying away from any kind of blond. Specifically how long is your hair? Do you wear a full cap? You're looking at 9 months. Very frustrated I agree. My last two from HD took about six months but they assured me with the new factories did they just picked up it will be about 14 to 16 weeks.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use my vocabulary and grammar. On voice activation. I hate texting because I've been known to text about 60 mistakes per minute.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My color is medium brown. I would recommend staying away from any kind of blond. Specifically how long is your hair? Do you wear a full cap? You're looking at 9 months. Very frustrated I agree. My last two from HD took about six months but they assured me with the new factories did they just picked up it will be about 14 to 16 weeks.

My hair is about 10 to 12 inches long. I don't wear a full cap as I still have quite thick bio hair at the back and sides, including at the temples. I currently wear a stock 6 inch Swiss lace system to cover my balding receding area on the top of my head, which I blend in with my bio hair to create the look of a full head of hair. However the custom system I ordered was 10 inches, and my plan was to cover the bio hair on my back and sides, creating an even more realistic long haired look. However the supplier I use just isn't delivered it, despite me contacting them many times (it was due last July). I am looking to change suppliers if I can find someone who makes a decent custom long haired system.

Btw, I've heard full caps are difficult to attach at the nape and temples. I think these could be giveaways if not done right. How do you manage with those?

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Temples are always a challenge. The mold has to be made very precise to be able to pull this off. I have no Temple hair whatsoever so that's why this is critical. I know there are some theater pieces with temple hair that looks like it's coming directly out of the scalp but again those can be tricky to pull off naturally. I haven't found any company that's able to make those in a full cap. I have never had any problems with the nape as I tape the perimeter which keeps the base secured all the way around.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can say about lace bases is that I've never had any issues with them whatsoever. It's always been the quality of hair and the factory following my specs. That's why ordering is so hit and miss. They get the color right on one system and turn around and screw up the density on the next system. And then on the third system they get the color and density correct and screw up the size of the base. Then on the next system they get the color density and size of the base correct but they screw up the ventilation Direction. That's why wearing hair can be so frustrating.