Frontal thinning on Avodart

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
eaglescout said:
If I was to order dutas would taking it three times a week be stronger than my current 1mg of finasteride daily.

Yes.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Bryan.

Power, you were right!! Two months was probably not long enough for the problems I assumed you would experience. College's assumption is more accurate than my overall opinion was.

I saw those graphs Bryan posted over a year ago but I never read up on the hair count data from Glaxo. You put those two sources together and - boom - I was wrong!! :oops:

(All I knew was dutasteride. was about 30 percent more effective than finasteride. in haircounts but didn't see the results on haircounts once stopping dutasteride. Or if I did, I forgot.)

Thanks again Bryan!

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but have been trying to read many of the long threads. OldBaldy said earlier that he was going to use topical dutasteride. being worried about the internal aspects. To a newbie with some scientific knowledge (physicist rather than biologist or chemist) who has only been looking into hair loss treatment for my son over the last few days, would not a good compromise be:

Topical use of dutasteride with one 0.5mg capsule/week. The internal side effects problem and perhaps long term effects should be much reduced (if there are any) and on average a bit less than 0.1mg per day (0.5/7) should also help. The result for 0.5mg/day was about 90% suppression. Does anyone know their results for their tests at 0.01 and 0.05mg/day which I believe they did investigate.

I would like to know please, if topical is applied, is it to the whole head or just the thinning area. Does dutasteride. topical cause scalp irritation? How often is it applied? Are there different strengths of the liquid? Have any others had success with just the topical type. Sorry about all the questoins.

Thanks.

G

eaglescout said:
WAlso outta curiosity jayman I know you take finasteride on your dutas off days...do you plan to do that indefinatly or if you see a growth in your hair count are you going to assume your dutas are real and discontinue finasteride. Taking it only increases your chances of side effects right and serves no real hair helping purpose compared to your dutas?

I don't have any Dutas off days eaglescout. i take 0.5 mg dutas every day and finasteride 3x a week as backup, so 3 days a week i am taking 1.25 mg finasteride AND 0.5 mg dutas. I will do this indefinitely as a backup. It's only an extra $140 a year or so for peace of mind.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, i am 9 month with dutasteride. And I have frontal thinning. If my front will regenerate, when can i expect an improvement again in the frontal area? Are here any guys using dutasteride their front did thin out first and then got better again???

CCS

Reaction score
the hard part about this is we don't know if your hairloss in front is just very strong, and maybe avodart is not enough. aplunk1 went through thinning and regrowth phases.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Or it could be the huge testosterone spike that oral dutasteride produces. To combat the huge scalp testosterone spike, you could try something like Ell Cranell Alpha. Ell Cranell Alpha converts scalp testosterone into estrogen.

Taken from HLH

"What 17 a estradiol (Ell Crandell Alpha) is doing is basically an aromatase process from testerone to estradiol and estrona .

In females this process (aromatase ) is done by CYP 19 GENE . This gene is the reason why female rarely lose hair in the front.

Females have this gene in average of 6 time more than a male that is losing his frontal hair line.

The average male has 50 % less CYP 19 in the front than his back region."

CCS

Reaction score
where do you buy this stuff? Is it water soluble or fat soluble? Do you have any links to any studies, even in vitro, that show it will turn testosterone into estrogen?

I'd also like to know what pH it is most stable at. I know spironolactone is most stable at pH 4.5, which happens to be pretty close to scalp pH.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here we go. Ingredients are toward the bottom of the post.

"Avixis and Ell-Cranell Alpha are identical products by Galderma, only the name differs from region to region, and both contain 0,025% alfatradiol.

I can understand why you are led to believe, that Ell-Cranell Alpha contains 0,25% as Lipoxidil writes:
0.25 % 17 -a -Estradiol, 2-Propanol, Glycerol,Inositol

This is not correct. And the explanation of the mistake is simple.

Active ingredients in drugs are most often listed as per 1 ml (or 1 g). Thus Ell-Cranell Alpha lists
1ml enth.: 0,25mg Alfatradiol. Weit. Bestandteile: 2-Propanol (Isopropylalkohol), Glycerol 85%, Inositol, ger. Wasser
translating to
1 ml contains: 0,25 mg alfatradiol. Other ingredients: 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol), glycerol 85%, inositol, purified water."

CCS

Reaction score
isopropyl alcohol is so cheap and while OK, is more toxic than ethanol. I wonder if they have a good reason for using it instead of ethanol.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
isopropyl alcohol is so cheap and while OK, is more toxic than ethanol. I wonder if they have a good reason for using it instead of ethanol.

Good question. I don't know the answer. I've always been a little ignorant relative to the different alcohols and how "poisonous" they might be. Maybe it's the long-term use of the non-specially denatured alcohols that worries us the most?

CCS

Reaction score
I just know methanol is poisonous if it gets on your skin, and isopropyl alcohol is undrinkable, and ethanol can have long term effects if you drink it. If you wear a gas mask, and sit in isopropyl alcohol for an hour, you can get really sick. I don't know how long it would take to kill you. So I'm a bit worried about long term skin exposure. I don't mind using eucapil while I wait for RU to arrive, but I would not use it long term.