Frontal thinning on Avodart

powersam

Reaction score
OldBaldy the 2 month gap does not in any way explain the rapid frontal loss, especially considering the fact that there would still have been reasonable amounts of dutasteride still in my system therefore my hair would not have been unprotected for those 2 months. also you seem to have missed the reason for why i posted that. it was simply to make clear the exact circumstances under which my rapid frontal loss occured, not to b itch about it or anything. i am perfectly aware of the various dosing options available while on dutasteride. I am also familiar with its reasonably long half life which apparently you arent.

in conclusion, bite me.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
powersam said:
felk has mentioned me once or twice here concerning frontal thinning on avodart ( i use the word thinning vs shedding as mine did not grow back therefore i dont see it as a shed).

i would like to illustrate the exact circumstances in which it happened just for the record (its in my Tell my story but who reads that).

used avodart for 18 months and successfully maintained with very little side effects, i had a slightly raised and lowered libido. went to scotland for a while and forgot to organise more dutasteride so i had none for around 2 months, and in that time i was reading about loading doses etc for dutasteride. when i got my dutasteride back i took 3 pills a day for 10 days and then went on to the .5mg a day dose. I then had the most horrid frontal thinning imaginable, i could see the hair getting thinner by the week. this thinning continued for a good 3 months at which point i simple stopped taking dutasteride, and the thinning stopped.

i would also like to mention that i had not ever heard anything about frontal thinning on avodart until after this happened. after it happened i read up and thats when i found that .5mg a day causes a 104% rise in scalp test. when the frontal loss occured i was taking 1.5mg a day loading dose, and had forgotten that there was probably still a significant amount of dutasteride in my system from the avodart i had been taking 2-3 months ago. so who knows what actual dose i was on or how high my scalp test went.

all above is simply my experience.

Powersam, don't you think the loading dose is a bad idea NOW?

I mean, for everyone reading this, you should be cautioned... The drug makers make caution in the Avodart pamphlet not to take anymore than 1 dose of Avodart a day... but taking 3... to help your hair?

If you want to increase your dose of dutasteride, then I suggest that you do it slowly. Take .5mg for 6 months, then gradually increase to 1.0mg daily over the next 6 months. This should provide ample time for your follicles to adjust to the dosage, through a cycle or two... Doing this, you'll probably reap the most benefit out of dutasteride.

I really think that having a loading dose is a bad idea, and that dutasteride should be introduced to your system slowly... after all, the biological effect of dutasteride is incredibly strong.

To those who are interested in using dutasteride to slow or stop Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness, then you should talk to your physician, and probably stick to using .5mg daily. Do this for at least 6 months or longer, and then report back.

G

i didn't consult with physician about it but have been on 0.5 mg dutas for 10 days now and have no plans to change the dosage either up or down. I did experience a slight loss of libido as I did on finasteride but now it is gone away. My semen does seem a bit thinner but my libido is back to baseline(very high hehe) and I see almost no hairs on my hands when I run them through my hair.

Does anyone think someone would realize a huge additional benefit from going to 1.0 mg/day or 2.5 mg/day from 0.5 mg day. I'm thinking not if I remember college's numbers correctly.

btw i really think this is the real thing because it tastes DISGUSTING when i take a little while to swallow it by accident, just like real avodart. haha.

How's dutas working for you Aplunk?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Right now, I'm alternating between Dutas and genuine Avodart.

I think I'm going to spring for the genuine Avodart for another 3 months.

It will then be an entire year, with only about 30 capsules of generic dutasteride taken...

I will make a long and considerate post about my thoughts, feelings, and holistic, unexpert opinion of Avodart.

Ooops, but to answer your question: Great.

I think Dutas are the real thing.

G

that's a good idea to change them up like that.

you can get 180 dutas from InHouse and then you can get the 180 Avodart for $360 from Elitenet now.

I was using 150 worth of Proscar a year as a backup for my 360 a year of Dutas so that would only be 30 more bucks per year.

BUT, if I do that and the Avodart from EliteNet turns out to be fake as well as the Dutas from InHouse, I'd really be screwed hahahaha. Right now Proscar is my backup andThe Proscar is definitely real since it's from a US pharmacy.

Bleh.

JWM

Reaction score
Aplunk

I thought dutasteride was hurting your hairline. Has it recovered?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
It is more or less maintaining...

People say there is temple regrowth when comparing my photos (http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/aplunk1/), and I feel like there is some regrowth.

But I just can't explain it right now. I just applied my minoxidil to my right temple, and rubbed it in a little bit, and two thinning hairs came out... There's lots of vellous hair there, but I feel that it's hair that is receding.

I plan to get back on spironolactone for the hairline... This is the first time I've lost a bottle of spironolactone traveling.

I think Avodart keeps the hairline better than Propecia.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Powersam wrote:

OldBaldy the 2 month gap does not in any way explain the rapid frontal loss, especially considering the fact that there would still have been reasonable amounts of dutasteride still in my system therefore my hair would not have been unprotected for those 2 months. also you seem to have missed the reason for why i posted that. it was simply to make clear the exact circumstances under which my rapid frontal loss occured, not to b itch about it or anything. i am perfectly aware of the various dosing options available while on dutasteride. I am also familiar with its reasonably long half life which apparently you arent.

No, you went 2 months without using dutasteride. As a result, the benefits had worn off. It's just that plain and simple.

You have to keep taking the medication or it wears off. You're assuming the long half life allows you to stop taking dutasteride. for two months without ramifications.

You have to keep a steady state of the drug in your system. You failed to do this when you stopped taking dutasteride. for 2 months.

If 0.5mg per day is theraputic you have to average that amount daily. For 2 months you averaged ZERO dutasteride. So you can take 3.5 mg of dutasteride once a week and it will average to 0.5mg per day. However taking ZERO mg of dutasteride. a day for 2 months equals ZERO mg's for 2 months.

I don't follow your logic.

You CANNOT say you took 75mg's of dutasteride for the past 5 months and say that for the next 5 months you still have the dosage of 75 mg's from the previous 5 months. It just don't work that way. You never "caught up" :wink:

The long half life allows you to "catch up" but you NEVER caught up!

Also, keep in mind that stopping a systemic 5AR inhibitor cold turkey can cause a hyperandrogenetic response.

Seeing as you know so much about dutasteride. and internal medications designed to treat the DHT part of our ailment, I'm surprised you don't know these basic aforementioned facts.

Dr. Proctor has been talking about this hyperandrogenetic reaction when stopping internal medications for years.

That's why he has consistently advised weaning yourself off of anti-androgen medications SLOWLY so you don't experience a hyperandrogenetic response.

Your frontal hair loss could have been due to this hyperandrogenetic response and/or STOPPING dutasteride. for Godaskes.

Your experience, IMHO, does not prove that dutasteride. causes frontal baldness.

Was that a hard enough bite a**hole?

Here's what Bryan posted years ago. Kind of sums it up pretty well:

On 3 Dec 2002 12:53:00 -0800, TempTempTemp94...@Yahoo.Com (vvll) wrote:

>> Have you seen the dutasteride/finasteride charts and graphs I posted?
>> There's a graph showing the effects on serum DHT levels from both
>> weekly and monthly dosing schemes. Interestingly, a weekly dosing
>> schedule with dutasteride shows *less* DHT fluctuation than what
>> you get when you take finasteride every day!

>Bryan, does this mean one could dose themselves weekly or even
>twice a week and still get full benefit?

I'm not sure if you'd get absolutely FULL benefit, but it shouldn't be
that much different from taking it daily. And I hope you do understand
that you'd still have to take the same AVERAGE dose. For example,
taking 3.5 mg once a week would be equivalent to taking 0.5 mg once a day.

Bryan

JWM

Reaction score

But weren't you on Propecia for only like 2 months or something?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
JWM said:

But weren't you on Propecia for only like 2 months or something?

10 and a half months, with maintenance and temple recession the first 6 months... and all downhill months 6-10.5... I should mention I had nasty sexual side effects, too.

G

dumb question for you guys,

right now im taking dutasteride 0.5 mg per day and finasteride 1.25 mg MWF as a backup. if i later switch to dutasteride that i know is real every day, and stop the finasteride backup, will i experience a hypoandrogenetic reaction?

CCS

Reaction score
since the finasteride has almost no effect on your DHT levels while you are taking daily dutasteride, you probably won't experience any difference. But if the dutasteride was fake, you would see a difference. I think sheds are rare, and only common on this site because people with bad reactions come here.

Felk

Reaction score
Damn, i didnt know about the hyper andro reponse from coming off the drug, i thought it was just a rare reaction to taking either medication.

I used finasteride for a month, then stopped because of side effects. If I did have a hyperandro reaction, will it wear off soon? I ask because i experienced some moderate acne, and didn't know the cause of it.

powersam

Reaction score
oldbaldy : firstly i am not and was never trying to prove that avodart caused frontal loss, just to let people know what the situation was when my frontal loss accelerated.

secondly it has been proven that even up to two years after stopping avodart dht levels still have not returned to normal, therefore yes i would still be protected for those 2 months i wasnt taking it. slowly the dht would have returned, but it would have happened SLOWLY. go read about duts half life.

also i doubt the hyperandrogenic effects would apply for avodart due to its 'long halflife'. the post of bryans that you quoted has been misunderstood by you. i do not think i had the same dht inhibition for those 2 months as i would have if i had stayed on the same dose but my dht levels would still have been far below normal at the time i started to take avodart again. once you have a reasonable level built up in your system it takes quite a while for it to dissipate.

why do you think i am trying to prove anything about avodart? i simply put that there because my name had been mentioned about avodart and frontal thinning in this shed. i have defended dutasteride in many other threads and will probably be going back on dutasteride at some point. next time dont be so condescending.

aplunk : i think the loading dose is a bad idea the way i did it, but if you are just starting to use avodart for the first time then it can help to get the avodart to good levels in your body faster than normal

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Why you don't try dutasteride. topical first when you go back on it? Might minimize the side effects and/or not have such a profound effect on our serum DHT levels, etc.?

I got scared with taking finasteride./dutasteride. internally for the long haul and switched to topical finasteride./dutasteride. about 1.5 months ago (after stopping finasteride. for about 6 months). When I run out of finasteride. I'll probably just start using dutasteride. in the topicals.

Oh heck, I might still use finasteride. now and then. Mix things up a little bit. I don't know if that will help considering finasteride. and dutasteride. are so similar?

So far, hair growth is healthier looking. You know, more "robust".

I don't have near as much watery semen. (But the semen is a little more watery than normal - so there is some systemic absorption for me.)

One thing you have to realize about me is that I NEVER try to demean anyone intentionally. (Only if they attack me. LOL!)

Anyway, we're men, no big deal, no harm done.

I honestly think you should give the topical route a try before taking dutasteride. internally. Give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised? I mean it, I'm not kidding.

powersam

Reaction score
the only thing with these things topically is that there really isnt any evidence to show that they can work successfully that way. although if you were to post 6 months from now with photos of your full head of hair, i'd probably start to think seriously about dutasteride topically. i think we are all interested to see your results from this experiment so good luck.

i'm sure other languages have a single word for things like this, but I cant think of a suitable one in English so lets just imagine that we shook hands now.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
We're going to see Power because I have no plans to take internal finasteride. and/ or dutasteride.

I don't want to "wipe out" all of my DHT. I'm just afraid to do that over the long haul. I'm probably WAY overreacting but I can't help it.

I just never felt good about taking finasteride. for the 11 months I took it. I didn't feel bad but I worried about removing so much DHT inside my body. It just never sat well with me.

Wacko? Yes, but that's how I feel. (Wacko because studies have come out, as you know, indicating finasteride./dutasteride. can substantially reduce the chance of contracting prostate cancer.)

Yet, I'll put some on top of my head when I know some of the finasteride./dutasteride. will make its way into my system!? :hairy:

But seriously, I can limit the amount I use in topicals.

G

Old Baldy, i think you should try 0.5 mg dutasteride every day like me. I'd eliminate all type I and type II in my body if I could. Adding spironolactone to take care of the testosterone and maybe i'd be like those kids who don't have the type 2 ar at all.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Today i was cutting hair - short - my front is strange. In the very front (hairline) there seem to come new thin hairs - but the hair is thinner in the area between hairline and top.
I am in month 9!

I am very afraid tonight!