Frontal Balding In 21y.o. (pics), What Can I Do??

nidia2928

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, Im 21 y.o. Recently I looked my old photos and realized that I have hair loss (about 3-4 years).
Trichologist said that I have 0-1 stage of hair loss. On his recommendation I use minoxidil 5% for about 20 days + shampoo + zinc + massage .
Recently, I noticed how several transparent and black hairs have grown.

1. What % of hair can I grow back?
2. In areas with absolute baldness, growth with time may appear? (cuz I heard that the growth occurs in the reverse order, hair fell out)
2.1. Should there be INITIALLY small transparent hair on absolute bald areas, so that later they grow into normal ones? Or will they come with time?

Attachments

• o-JCQPdJkbQ.jpg
    o-JCQPdJkbQ.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 333
  • iOxQlFLeWyk.jpg
    iOxQlFLeWyk.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 355

ljb118

Reaction score
Looks like you're receding significantly. You'll want to add finasteride and nizoral to your routine.

1) Depends on how you respond to the treatments. Dermarolling once a week will help with minoxidil regrowth.
2) Yes with time growth will most likely appear.
3) Yes vellus hairs (the baby blond ones) may eventually turn terminal.

Finasteride is most important above all else - you need to be on an antiandrogen if you want to save your hair.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like you're receding significantly. You'll want to add finasteride and nizoral to your routine.

1) Depends on how you respond to the treatments. Dermarolling once a week will help with minoxidil regrowth.

Finasteride is most important above all else - you need to be on an antiandrogen if you want to save your hair.
Hate to be that guy but finasteride isn't an anti androgen, its a 5α-Reductase inhibitor.

nidia2928

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks for the answer.
At firts I want to grow hair at the bald areas using minoxidil.
Im afraid to use finasteride, I read that its not worth using at an early age

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Antiandrogen is an umbrealla which includes 5ar under it. Finasteride is absolutely an anti androgen
So what would Darolutamide and Bicalutmide be classified as under this umbrella? Or are they the umbrella because they are true anti androgens? finasteride isn't truly an anti androgen but I get what you're saying.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which is anti dht which is an androgen... hence anti-androgen
finasteride is a 5α-Reductase inhibitor which does have anti androgenic effects, but its not a proper anti androgen because it doesn't target testosterone. It just blocks the conversion of T to DHT.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride is a 5α-Reductase inhibitor which does have anti androgenic effects, but its not a proper anti androgen because it doesn't target testosterone. It just blocks the conversion of T to DHT.

It’s really just semantics, but by the literal definition of the word an anti androgen just has to be against androgens in some way, which preventing dht fulfills. There is nothing in the word that specifies having to antagonize testosterone

ljb118

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
At firts I want to grow hair at the bald areas using minoxidil.
Im afraid to use finasteride, I read that its not worth using at an early age

The truth of the matter is that you're fighting a losing battle by not using an antiandrogen/dht inhibitor of some sort. Minoxidil will likely not be enough, especially for moderate to severe hair loss cases.

It depends on what you view as worth it. 21 is in no way too young to use it though. I bit the bullet at 19. Sides are minimal for most people (thats not to say that there isn't a risk of sides though!)

But at the same time, going bald at a young age can have many negative consequences too for some men. I'd encourage more reading and research if you're still worried, but you'll get the same advice from everyone else here: you need to combine with finasteride or you stand a much lower chance of saving your hair for the foreseeable future.