Freestyle vs directional hair for a parting - which is better?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The other day I was talking to someone on Youtube via the comments on a video about long hair systems, and he said that if I have a central parting it's much better if I order a custom system with directional hair instead of freestyle. He said that it will make styling the system so much easier, that I will just be able to roll out of bed and the hair on the system will fall into place. He said that freestyle is mainly for stock systems and that it can be difficult to style because it messes up more easily than directional hair.

I'm not sure what to believe. I've used a stock system with freestyle hair in a central parting no problem. So what is best? Does directional hair look natural compared to freestyle? Surely a person's bio hair is freestyle, so why wouldn't you want it on a hair system?

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
I can't really answer about long hair specifically. But if you plan to wear a hard parting (the sort you make with a comb) then it is worth putting the parting onto your template, and getting the manufacturer to knot the parting into the hairpiece. It does give a better more realistic look. The factory-made parting has a little extra bare space between the two sides of the parting, which mimics better they way a biohair parting looks. If you try to make a hard parting on a freestyle unit, the sides of the parting are too close together with not enough space in between.

Of course, all this supposes that custom units are available. That may not be a realistic assumption at the moment.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Watching YouTube can be detrimental to your health.

The comments about Freestyle vs. Directional venting for a parting only make sense for the very beginning of the life of your system. After the first styling, and subsequent washings and combings, your Freestyle system will keep its direction as the knots tighten.

This is why we recommend NOT changing your style all the time!

And no, your bio hair is not necessarily "Freestyle". A good example of that is a cowlick or swirl at the crown.

Some people's hair in front also tends to have a direction. It's why someone who always did a right side parting, will not be able to change to the left side. I see that in my clients who have full heads of hair that come in for haircuts and beard trims... beards and mustaches are exceptionally prone to maintain hair growth direction... and only can be changed with lots of product.