Forced to quit finasteride, what's next?

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Two years ago I started 1MG finasteride a day, I am now almost 22 years old. (you can read my story here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59033&start=20)

Unfortunately, I am starting to develop gyno (confirmed through X-ray), so I need to quit finasteride. This really sucks since I was doing really well in the hair department. Anyways I know that finasteride is basically the only real treatment. I still want to fight the hairloss though, even if it's just to feel like I am doing something. So I have a couple of questions.

Obviously I am going to try minoxidil 5%. Should I start right away or wait a little while to see what is going to happen?

Should I look for other DHT inhibitors (like saw palmetto/green tea) I know these are probably not as strong as finasteride but taking 20% off 100% DHT levels is still something right? Are there others I don't know about?

I currently use Revita Shampoo, is this still my best bet?

Any other advice?

Greetings, Sebastien

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered prescription Proxiphen? The designer of Proxiphen (both a medical doctor, and a PhD) says that Proxiphen is "unquestionably more effective than Propecia alone", and doesn't have its systemic side effects (it's a cream that contains numerous powerful topical ingredients). Its only serious drawback? It's expensive. But if you can afford it, you might give it a try. You might even grow some new hair with it! :)

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Sebastien said:
Hey guys,

Two years ago I started 1MG finasteride a day, I am now almost 22 years old. (you can read my story here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59033&start=20)

Unfortunately, I am starting to develop gyno (confirmed through X-ray), so I need to quit finasteride. This really sucks since I was doing really well in the hair department. Anyways I know that finasteride is basically the only real treatment. I still want to fight the hairloss though, even if it's just to feel like I am doing something. So I have a couple of questions.

Obviously I am going to try minoxidil 5%. Should I start right away or wait a little while to see what is going to happen?

Should I look for other DHT inhibitors (like saw palmetto/green tea) I know these are probably not as strong as finasteride but taking 20% off 100% DHT levels is still something right? Are there others I don't know about?

I currently use Revita Shampoo, is this still my best bet?

Any other advice?

Greetings, Sebastien

Well..you may not have to quit finasteride. You're getting gyno from a raised estrogen level. Its possible to combat this by taking higher doses of zinc daily. Zinc acts as an aromatase inhibitor that prevents the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. Try taking 100mg of zinc before bed every night...this could prevent the gyno from getting worse.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Ben said:
Bryan wrote:
The designer of Proxiphen (both a medical doctor, and a PhD) says that Proxiphen is "unquestionably more effective than Propecia alone",

So people should go and buy it just because the maker of the product says its more effective than finasteride? Theoretically speaking I could say a product I make is better than my competitor but it does not mean it is. Its my word against someone else's. It does not matter whether he is a PHD or not, its not backed up with enough user experiences and reliable photos to suggest that.

The thing about the way its worded is sort of slippery and borderline dishonest. He says "unquestionably more effective than Propecia alone"...ok so...if you dont think about it..it sounds like he's saying its more effective than propecia..which of course might lead people to go out and buy it under that assumption...most people dont read these things closely and think about them..and he knows that. But what the statement, to me, is really saying is using proxiphen and proecia is more effective than just using propecia by itself. Its worded in a way that..he probably wont mind people buying proxiphen thinking its more effective than propecia..but if he's ever called out on it he can use the defense "well if you read it correctly, it clearly says more effective than propecia ALONE"

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ben said:
So people should go and buy it just because the maker of the product says its more effective than finasteride?

Sure! Why not? Dr. Proctor is both a physician and a PhD, and is a respected member of the medical community. He has a local office here in Houston, and has a reputation to uphold.

Ben said:
Theoretically speaking I could say a product I make is better than my competitor but it does not mean it is. Its my word against someone else's.

Are YOU a medical doctor, too? Where did you go to medical school? What other medical degrees do you have (see Dr. Proctor's resume, to see all the qualifications he has)? Have you ever served as a consulting expert in a legal trial, like Dr. Proctor has?

Ben said:
It does not matter whether he is a PHD or not, its not backed up with enough user experiences and reliable photos to suggest that.

What makes you think that YOU are qualified to make such a judgement on his medical qualifications?? Have you seen that list of "rave reviews" that I've posted of people who were very pleased with Dr. Proctor's products? What makes you think that this stupid garbage that you've been writing about Dr. Proctor has any merit at all?? :dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris87 said:
The thing about the way its worded is sort of slippery and borderline dishonest. He says "unquestionably more effective than Propecia alone"...ok so...if you dont think about it..it sounds like he's saying its more effective than propecia..which of course might lead people to go out and buy it under that assumption...most people dont read these things closely and think about them..and he knows that.

That's EXACTLY what he's saying. It's not "borderline dishonest".

Chris87 said:
But what the statement, to me, is really saying is using proxiphen and proecia is more effective than just using propecia by itself. Its worded in a way that..he probably wont mind people buying proxiphen thinking its more effective than propecia..but if he's ever called out on it he can use the defense "well if you read it correctly, it clearly says more effective than propecia ALONE"

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that Proxiphen ALONE is more effective than Propecia ALONE.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ben said:
Im not questioning his medical credentials, its the product.

Are YOU a medical doctor, too? Where did you go to medical school? What other medical degrees do you have (see Dr. Proctor's resume, to see all the qualifications he has)? Have you ever served as a consulting expert in a legal trial, like Dr. Proctor has?

You have obviously interpreted my comments the wrong way.

Then what's the correct interpretation of "Theoretically speaking I could say a product I make is better than my competitor but it does not mean it is. Its my word against someone else's."?? :dunno:

Ben said:
At which point did I say I could make an hairloss product? I simply said 'product' just to illustrate a point. I could easily have said I make umbrellas which are more wind resistant than my competitors. I could claim it but that does not mean it is true. Its the moral of the story. I also said THEORETICALLY incase you missed the point Bryan, it does not mean I am going to go and do it.

Im not getting into a debate Dr Proctor's qualifications since I was never questionning that in the first place.

Okay. I'm glad you've qualified your original statement, even though I guess I still don't understand what the point of that original statement was.

Ben said:
Im stating an opinion. I never know I had to be qualified to make an opinion? Ive not questioned his qualifications, its the Product!!

A few rave reviews does not exactly hold much weight.

I do. I think they hold a LOT of weight, especially when combined with Dr. Proctor's expert opinion.

Ben said:
Do you believe that all the stuff you write about Dr Proctor's products holds much merit?

Yes.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
any proxiphen post should come under the experimental treatments board...dont know why it is tolerated on here. It's confusing for anyone new to hear such BS claims about being more effective than finasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
gh05 said:
any proxiphen post should come under the experimental treatments board...dont know why it is tolerated on here. It's confusing for anyone new to hear such BS claims about being more effective than finasteride.

LOL!! Are you the expert at what IS and is NOT a "BS claim"? :)

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
gh05 said:

LOL!! Are you the expert at what IS and is NOT a "BS claim"? :)

I've heard enough to have a good idea. Anything with as little evidence behind it as this proxiphen should be in the experimental treatments section. You are the only person who ever mentions it for good reason. Your constant attempts to shill it (along with wild claims about it being more effective than by far the most effective drug available) are nothing more than an attempt to get vulnerable/desperate people who have exhausted all other options to spend a lot of money on the stuff probably because you have a financial interest.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are a very very strange person. I feel sorry for you.

Browny

Established Member
Reaction score
The recent Bryan vs the rest of the board activity of late is nothing but pure comedy...

Keep up the good work Jacob and the rest of ze fellas...

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm confused.

Proxiphen = a solution containing minoxidil, no? if so, how can a topical (made of minoxidil which is known for minimal results) be better than a dht blocker like finasteride?

I understand they work better/worse for specific areas.. but if Proxiphen is just another type of minoxidil, why does Brian act like it is much better than regular minoxidil?

I ask becuase while I'm on finasteride, I'd liek something to help fight my receeding temporal/font hairline

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ryder said:
I'm confused.

Proxiphen = a solution containing minoxidil, no? if so, how can a topical (made of minoxidil which is known for minimal results) be better than a dht blocker like finasteride?

I understand they work better/worse for specific areas.. but if Proxiphen is just another type of minoxidil, why does Brian act like it is much better than regular minoxidil?

As I've said over and over and over and over, Proxiphen isn't just "another type of minoxidil"; I think the minoxidil in Proxiphen is probably one of its LEAST important ingredients!! What are the most important ingredients? Probably the TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, what I like to call the "turbocharged SODs" in Proxiphen.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
ryder said:
I'm confused.

As I've said over and over and over and over, Proxiphen isn't just "another type of minoxidil"; I think the minoxidil in Proxiphen is probably one of its LEAST important ingredients!! What are the most important ingredients? Probably the TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, what I like to call the "turbocharged SODs" in Proxiphen.
Bryan u said spironolactone was the most important ingredient.