For those who have tried an aromatase inhibitor ...

drinkrum

Reaction score
Please post your findings here. Also include if you were on or off finasteride. Some questions in particular: Did you notice a decrease in finasteride.-induced side effects; Did you notice an increase in libido, etc.; Did you notice any noticeable change in hair loss/regrowth?

I am planning to try out a small dose of Arimidex and would like some opinions. Bryan, I know you're against it when coupled with finasteride. because of the infamous study on canines. but what do you think about it very low doses?

D.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well 23 days on one MG a day knocked my estrogen so low it did not show up in a blood test.It works.

lovely711

Reaction score
drinkrum

I am not on an aromatase inhibitor, but I am taking tribestan.. it is supposed to normalise the estrogen contents..

It is 1 year that I am off from finaesteride, and still my erections are pretty weak... Today I am completing 2nd week on tribestan.. I noticed a increase in sex drive in the first week, but it just dropped away this week..

Propecia increased my weight by 35pounds.. After being on tribestan I am noticing that I am becoming lean day by day.. So looks like it is normalising my estrogen content.. Will keep posted.. good luck on ur regimen..

drinkrum

Reaction score
That would be wonderful lovely. Thank you.

How's the hair loss? Have you had an estrogen/testosterone test done? If so, what were your results?

D.

lovely711

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
That would be wonderful lovely. Thank you.

How's the hair loss? Have you had an estrogen/testosterone test done? If so, what were your results?

D.

dinkrum

I tested my serum and free testosterones, results came as normal.. i will ask for the exact count.. My idiot doctor opposed performing an estrogen test.. so I have'nt done that yet..

Talking a't hairloss, yess.. I am undergoing an accelerated loss now.. It can be due to any of the following reasons
1) Free testosterones induced by tribestan may be causing more hairloss
2) Since I underwent a hair transplant recently I had to stop minoxidil/revivogen for 2 months and I just restarted it.. So possibly I am undegoing a shed
3) I added spironolactone also on my regimen recently.. so may be spironolactone is causing me an initial shed..

However my erections are my major concern right now than my hairloss.. I was thinking it will get better eventually, but now I dont think it will.. Not even v**** is helping me :cry: looks like my life is fucked up..

Next week I have another doctor appointment and I am gonna press him once again for a complete hormonal test ..

I will be giving tribulus a complete 2 months timeframe....

Even though I experienced a huge weight gain, i did'nt undergoe any symptoms of gyno, which is interesting.. if the huge weight gain can be related to estrogen hike, why I escaped from gyno?

Another thing to mention is, just at the same time I was experiencing my sexual side effects from propecia, I underwent a severe case of alopecia areata which gave me a huge bald spot on my crown.. I never had this before and none of my family members had this... this is a worst thing a person can ever have in their life.. I dont know for sure there is a correlation of hormonal imbalance and alopecia areata.. i currespinded with many nice doctors and asked them whether there is a correlation, they just gave me an answer of "May be".. No one knows how AA is initated.. There are hell lot of reasons body can trigger this.. and now the good thing is it is gone..

Though some of these problems may not be related to propecia, but clearly I responded very very odd..

What's ur story dude?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Check this out lovely:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... php?t=3872 Also, check out my other posts, particularly the one entitled "Weird issue." That pretty much sums up my game.

You are probably also losing hair since you're off of finasteride. Your hair loss has most likely gone back in full swing as to what it was before the finasteride. Could be the aromatase inhib. as well.

I am particularly concerned about taking Arimidex with finasteride. as I don't want the Arim. to combat the hair effects from finasteride.

D.

lovely711

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Check this out lovely:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... php?t=3872 Also, check out my other posts, particularly the one entitled "Weird issue." That pretty much sums up my game.

You are probably also losing hair since you're off of finasteride. Your hair loss has most likely gone back in full swing as to what it was before the finasteride. Could be the aromatase inhib. as well.

I am particularly concerned about taking Arimidex with finasteride. as I don't want the Arim. to combat the hair effects from finasteride.

D.

Are you still continuing taking Propecia 1mg?

My finaesteride hair started falling 3 months after stopping it.. By 6 months my hair went back to where i was before.. After that I thought my hairloss is a kind of stabilsed.. but my current shedding started 3 weeks back

I have read in several other hairloss forums people taking aromatise inhibitors along with propecia.. it makes absolute sense to me too.. but my concern is long time usage.. we need to seek professional advice..

drinkrum

Reaction score
Yes by all means I would still take finasteride.

I don't know about the long-term usage, BUT I do know that my estrogen is much, much higher than it should be right now. And I'm not going to let it stay that way. That seems very unhealthy to me.

D.

lovely711

Reaction score
drinkrum
I hear you.. It is a very difficult decision to stop taking propecia after you get all the results from it.. Looks like your estrogen levels got accumulated for a span of 3 full years.. Probably your body is well adjusted now, but may be those excess estrogens are still sitting out there.. Forget a't long term use, but why dont you use armidex on a very less dosage for a month or so like MrTalogen did and check the count.. if it has come down and your side effects have faded then just forget a't it.. if it comes back again then only you will need to consider a long term usage.. make sense?

MrTalogen
Now being your estrogen content has come down, do you still have those gyno problems?

drinkrum

Reaction score
I'm going to try either 0.50 (0.25x2) or 1 (0.50x2) mg/week. I don't know which one is better. Any suggestions?

My test. levels are high but not abnorally so (like my estrogen), so I am praying I don't develop excessive body hair or anything of the sort. I am also praying the Arimidex does not combat the beneficial effects from finasteride. It's a $250 gamble. Not to mention the affects on my body.

I will try to get my estrogen levels checked in six months. I will give Arimidex good time to work, plus it will let me gauge the hair loss situation.

For those of you here that have discontinued finasteride, how long does it take for you to notice extra shedding and hair loss? The reason I ask this is because if the Arimidex counters the finasteride., then I would like to know what to expect and in what time frame.

Cheers.

D.

lovely711

Reaction score
drinkrum

I have lot of finaesteride users taking 0.25 mg on alternate days at hairsite..

My hair started falling after 3 months of stopping propecia.. When it started falling it was like a rain fall.. by 6 months i went back to where i was before..

Could u please tell me how armidex counter fina benefits.. wht is the theory behind?.. Is it possoible that taking estrogen blockers without propecia may accelerate male pattern baldness?? - Thnx

drinkrum

Reaction score
To my knowledge (however cursory it may be), Arimidex is an aromatase inhibitor which means it inhibits the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. Thus there is an elevated amount of free testosterone in the serum.

When testosterone levels are high, the body mitigates this by converting it into estrogen. Estrogen, in fact, is a derivative of testosterone. Testosterone, as you know, besides aromatizing into estrogen, turns into DHT.

So my concern is that the extra testosterone will exacerbate the effects of hair loss by 1. turning into DHT and/or 2. binding directly to the follicle (which some say -- e.g. Bryan -- it has been known to do).

A lot of people on Hairsite are on _just_ Arimidex and claim it has helped their hair loss. While there have been studies that show estradiol (form of estrogen) is bad for the follicle, there have been an equal if not more studies that show that estrogen is good for the follice (women only start to lose their hair when they have elevated testosterone and lowered estrogen for example). So there is no real basis to say Arimidex or any other estrogen-inhibiting drug will help hair loss. But, to the contrary, here is an interesting study that all of us should read: http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_treat ... kers_5.cfm. I, however, think that taking any sort of drug by itself that increases testosterone will exacerbate the occurrence of hair loss. Just look at bodybuilders who juice up.

A lot of people on that site also, as you pointed out, use finasteride (or the stronger dutasteride) with Arimidex (or direct estrogen blocking drugs) and swear by it. Some say it fixes the sexual problems of taking finasteride. and they still keep their hair.

Arimidex is _very_ potent -- even at 0.25 every other day. Bodybuilders who inject testosterone into their body use at max 0.50 mg/day. And as MrTelogen has quoted when he tried using the full dosage (for post-menopausal women!) at 1 mg/day, in a week, his estrogen count was _zero_!

Anyway, I am going to try 0.50 mg/week (0.25x2) for a couple of weeks to see how I feel, and might bump it up to 1 mg/week (0.50x2) if I see fit. I don't expect going anymore past that unless a blood test warrants it. Right now, as I've posted before, my total estrogen is 212 pg/mL (the normal range is 40-115). This could also be partly due to genetics, etc. but I want a more normal hormonal profile. Afterall, I'm only 21 years old!

Sorry for the long post (for all of you with ADD :smoke: ).

D.

lovely711

Reaction score
dinkrum

once gain, Thnx for the info

Say, if i have a good amount of estrogen content in my body and if I am not taking any drug.. Will the body get rid of it eventually? If so, how does it do that?

Sorry for asking lot of questions.. Thnx dude

drinkrum

Reaction score
As long as you're on finasteride, your body will keep converting the excess test. into est.

But if you're off finasteride. (as in your case), it may take some time but theoretically est. levels _should_ return to normal. Maybe for some people it doesn't ... best to ask your endo about this.

Try Arimidex.

D.

sherwood

Reaction score
i too am taking tribestan but still on the finast as well...im an athlete who had some concerns w low testosterone ...obviously now im wondering if it will speed hairloss...the tribestan does def lean ya up pretty qwik...as it should since it is a dieretic....but of course now i am wondering bout the hairloss aspect...vicious cyle....gotta pick ur battles i guess...any suggs or advive would be sweet-sherwood

lovely711

Reaction score
sherwood said:
i too am taking tribestan but still on the finast as well...im an athlete who had some concerns w low testosterone ...obviously now im wondering if it will speed hairloss...the tribestan does def lean ya up pretty qwik...as it should since it is a dieretic....but of course now i am wondering bout the hairloss aspect...vicious cyle....gotta pick ur battles i guess...any suggs or advive would be sweet-sherwood

Theoratically since you are taking propecia, you are fine.. tribestan increases free testosterones, and these are the ones that gets converted to DHT's.. Propecia blocks the hormone that converts free testosterones to DHT's..

Being an athelete and being on propecia for a long time, have u ever noticed problems in maintaining your bodyfitness?