For Those Who Have Been On Treatment For A Year - Survey | Page 3 | HairLossTalk Forums

For Those Who Have Been On Treatment For A Year - Survey

Discussion in 'The Impact of Hair Loss' started by JohnsonDDG, Mar 7, 2018.

?

What were your results after a year on Finasteride?

1. Continued Aggressive Hair Loss

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Moderate Hair Loss

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Stabalised the Loss but no Regrowth

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Moderate Regrowth (5-10% more density)

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  5. Major Regrowth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    it's not hard to tell at all. I had relatively slow hair loss, about 60% density before taking it and ZERO scalp inflammation at 33 years old. I took it and over 10 months, I lost literally half of my hair, down to 30% (people have seen pics), and my scalp became inflammed to the point where I couldn't even sleep. I had burning, itching, crawling, and I still have it to this day. Started two months after taking it, and never stopped. If you need MORE evidence - my hair loss is the worst now in the places I had / have this inflammation. The crown, midscalp, front.

So, that's a coincidence? The moment I start taking this shit ALL OF THIS ^ happens to me. not hard to call at all.

2. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I could never shoot at you Doctor, unless it's my load all over your beautiful face. haha ;)

DoctorHouse likes this.
  3. DoctorHouse

DoctorHouse Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have nothing to worry about. You are on finasteride and you will shoot blanks or maybe if you are lucky some water.

4. Marky

Marky Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    ok sounds convincing enough - just crazy something like that would happen, total opposite of what the drug is suppose to do.
    like taking a sleeping pill and having insomnia for a week.

5. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    it's nothing like taking tylenol PM and having insomnia. That sedates you and you fall asleep. simple

taking finasteride is drastically, DRASTICALLY different and involves many different pathways and mechanisms. You're reducing DHT, a hormone, with the assumption that this is the ONLY compound effecting your follicles. Along with reducing DHT, you effect several other things, including testosterone, estradiol, estrogen, etc...

taking a sleeping pill and falling asleep is like solving a fourth grade math problem.

taking finasteride and assuming it will permanently stop your hair loss without side effects is like quantum physics.

6. Marky

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    just strange you're the only one who I've heard of who responded wildly opposite the intended outcome.

7. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    well, I am not on finasteride, but thanks to taking it over two years ago and it's very real and permanent side effects, I have like zero sperm count... the sperm I do produce and ejaculate are retarded. So, thank you finasteride.

DoctorHouse likes this.
  8. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    well, there are a lot of us, with detailed accounts. look around on the forums.

Marky likes this.
  9. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    anytime you read a thread like, "been on finasteride for 12 months and hair is drastically worst", or "finasteride for a year, further temple recession and now diffused thinning" (another one I just saw on here today).. then you'll understand better. I know it seems fucked up, and trust me, it is. Not everyone feels the inflammation, but there are a LOT of people worst off for taking it.

Wolf Pack and rclark like this.
  10. Roberto_72

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    See how biased you good responders are?
    "You are the only one". Just look around, come on.
    What about @Dench57 's side effects?
    Just admit you have been lucky the drug has treated you good. There is no shame in being luckier than average every now and then!

Wolf Pack, rclark and RegenWaiting like this.
  11. rclark

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen

LOL, you're so right though. Once it works, we think everybody with side effects
    is full of shit. Or I used to.

I really don't now though.

Roberto_72 likes this.
  12. rclark

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    You are definitely right about number one.

I DON'T think Minoxidil will have permanent benefits without Finasteride, that said, I DO believe
    that people who don't respond to five (which they should start out on), will respond to a higher
    concentration.

Now, the problem is, is it the DHT that eventually kills the follicle? Or is it the follicle not
    responding to sulphate, and not metabolizing correctly? That's the question.

Warlord2.0 and JohnsonDDG like this.
  13. JohnsonDDG

JohnsonDDG Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Very surprised with the results - I thought because of the sample group (guys on the impact section) that we would have mostly people saying finasteride did not work for them.

Its turning into an advert for propecia.

14. Wolf Pack

Wolf Pack Moderator My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Haven't lost one hair on finasteride and neither have many people in my life. My hair is full and thick. It's the most vital component of a regimen and can be a cure. Minoxidil is for diffuse thinning and those needing growth - has it's cons too and is purely optional and effectively useless on its own. I'm happy due to finasteride and if any areas thin can transplant. I spend like a few quid on finasteride per month, lol one day's travel pass in London costs more. My transplant was like really cheap too due to contacts. Spent nothing.

Those who don't respond on finasteride could be due to starting late or having very diffuse/aggressive pattern. I've noticed people like this I know in real life continue to slowly lose and are maintaining arm pit density hair. The clinical trials for finasteride covered side effects, 10 years and different ages/norwoods, was around 90% successful. dutasteride is like 95% at least.

My surgeon told me to quit finasteride as said my loss is not aggressive and minimal, that he'll fill in the susceptible areas with hair. I rejected this though, can never take a risk and native hair is much better, even if I have tons of thick wavy donor. finasteride does work as I know of people keeping a full head in real life from early use of finasteride and transplants.

Roberto_72 likes this.
  15. Wolf Pack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    It's entirely possible from a medical POV how it can speed things up in some people. Very unfortunate when it's supposed to do the opposite..

buckthorn likes this.
  16. michel sapin

michel sapin Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    @Wolf Pack ; if fina wouldn't work you would use duta ?

17. Wolf Pack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    tenor.gif

Of course. But depends on what I lose. Say a tiny crown area, I may just have a transplant. But if I'm destined to become Norwood 5 plus and losing ground yearly even on finasteride, I'll try Dutasteride. You can't have good hair just with transplants if you lose too much, got to maintain on anti androgen and allow those 60k hairs on top to breathe and heal.

I don't think it will happen to me though. I'm pretty sure even at 50, I might just be slightly thinner. Something that 2k thick grafts all on top will fix. That's the bulk of my life looking my best done, so I won't care as much after for some mild loss. Of course I'll still treat it.

18. Marky

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    why is native hair better? you'd think the back of your head hair is naturally denser.

rclark likes this.
  19. Wolf Pack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I meant before balding, obviously if the native hair is weak/dying, different story. Native hair is better simply because there's so much on top and donor capacity on the other hand is finite and usually not enough on it's own to create good hair on top. Since native hair is naturally there, it's also organised and angulated to perfection.

20. kj6723

kj6723 Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    So right now it's 5 continued to lose ground and 15 at a minimum stabilized, with the majority of those getting regrowth

So 75% success rate after 1 year. Very positive especially when you take into account the forum is likely to attract people with negative finasteride experiences, this very much falls in line with the clinical data.

Granted it is a small sample size, and 1 year is not that long an amount of time, but still