For Those Who Have Been On Treatment For A Year - Survey

What were your results after a year on Finasteride?

• Continued Aggressive Hair Loss

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Moderate Hair Loss

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Stabalised the Loss but no Regrowth

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Moderate Regrowth (5-10% more density)

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Major Regrowth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's not hard to tell at all. I had relatively slow hair loss, about 60% density before taking it and ZERO scalp inflammation at 33 years old. I took it and over 10 months, I lost literally half of my hair, down to 30% (people have seen pics), and my scalp became inflammed to the point where I couldn't even sleep. I had burning, itching, crawling, and I still have it to this day. Started two months after taking it, and never stopped. If you need MORE evidence - my hair loss is the worst now in the places I had / have this inflammation. The crown, midscalp, front.

So, that's a coincidence? The moment I start taking this sh*t ALL OF THIS ^ happens to me. not hard to call at all.
ok sounds convincing enough - just crazy something like that would happen, total opposite of what the drug is suppose to do.
like taking a sleeping pill and having insomnia for a week.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok sounds convincing enough - just crazy something like that would happen, total opposite of what the drug is suppose to do.
like taking a sleeping pill and having insomnia for a week.

it's nothing like taking tylenol PM and having insomnia. That sedates you and you fall asleep. simple

taking finasteride is drastically, DRASTICALLY different and involves many different pathways and mechanisms. You're reducing DHT, a hormone, with the assumption that this is the ONLY compound effecting your follicles. Along with reducing DHT, you effect several other things, including testosterone, estradiol, estrogen, etc...

taking a sleeping pill and falling asleep is like solving a fourth grade math problem.

taking finasteride and assuming it will permanently stop your hair loss without side effects is like quantum physics.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's nothing like taking tylenol PM and having insomnia. That sedates you and you fall asleep. simple

taking finasteride is drastically, DRASTICALLY different and involves many different pathways and mechanisms. You're reducing DHT, a hormone, with the assumption that this is the ONLY compound effecting your follicles. Along with reducing DHT, you effect several other things, including testosterone, estradiol, estrogen, etc...

taking a sleeping pill and falling asleep is like solving a fourth grade math problem.

taking finasteride and assuming it will permanently stop your hair loss without side effects is like quantum physics.
just strange you're the only one who I've heard of who responded wildly opposite the intended outcome.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have nothing to worry about. You are on finasteride and you will shoot blanks or maybe if you are lucky some water.

well, I am not on finasteride, but thanks to taking it over two years ago and it's very real and permanent side effects, I have like zero sperm count... the sperm I do produce and ejaculate are retarded. So, thank you finasteride.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
just strange you're the only one who I've heard of who responded wildly opposite the intended outcome.

well, there are a lot of us, with detailed accounts. look around on the forums.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

anytime you read a thread like, "been on finasteride for 12 months and hair is drastically worst", or "finasteride for a year, further temple recession and now diffused thinning" (another one I just saw on here today).. then you'll understand better. I know it seems fucked up, and trust me, it is. Not everyone feels the inflammation, but there are a LOT of people worst off for taking it.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

well, there are a lot of us, with detailed accounts. look around on the forums.

See how biased you good responders are?
"You are the only one". Just look around, come on.
What about @Dench57 's side effects?
Just admit you have been lucky the drug has treated you good. There is no shame in being luckier than average every now and then!

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently the 10% of non responders, or patients for whom the side effects exceeded the benefits, is all in this forum :D

Jokes apart: everyone looks at things with a certain personal perspective and it is just human that everyone thinks he/she is a good sample for a phenomenon they are experiencing.

If finasteride works for you, you will naturally think all the other patients are doing something wrong, or are just too sick, because, hey, you are nailing it as the leaflet says!

I also remember one user here who took pride in revealing minoxidil saved his hair... because, wow, he NEVER MISSED AN APPLICATION :rolleyes:

LOL, you're so right though. Once it works, we think everybody with side effects
is full of sh*t. Or I used to.

I really don't now though.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
From my own experience with minoxidil ,this is what I think:
1- I truly beleive that the recommended dose of 1ml/application is not enough for most men(Now That I use 3 cans every month...I'am pretty satisfied with the results) so it has to be a very conservative/safe dose that does not do too much

2-I have developped a tolerance to the minoxidil while increasing the dose gradually like narcotics or so...I used to have some side effects but I don't have them anymore...like a junky

3-I do not think that the brand of the drug change anything...I use a morrocan brand lol, and they can not even make a cake that tastes good...

You are definitely right about number one.

I DON'T think Minoxidil will have permanent benefits without Finasteride, that said, I DO believe
that people who don't respond to five (which they should start out on), will respond to a higher
concentration.

Now, the problem is, is it the DHT that eventually kills the follicle? Or is it the follicle not
responding to sulphate, and not metabolizing correctly? That's the question.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very surprised with the results - I thought because of the sample group (guys on the impact section) that we would have mostly people saying finasteride did not work for them.

Its turning into an advert for propecia.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven't lost one hair on finasteride and neither have many people in my life. My hair is full and thick. It's the most vital component of a regimen and can be a cure. Minoxidil is for diffuse thinning and those needing growth - has it's cons too and is purely optional and effectively useless on its own. I'm happy due to finasteride and if any areas thin can transplant. I spend like a few quid on finasteride per month, lol one day's travel pass in London costs more. My transplant was like really cheap too due to contacts. Spent nothing.

Those who don't respond on finasteride could be due to starting late or having very diffuse/aggressive pattern. I've noticed people like this I know in real life continue to slowly lose and are maintaining arm pit density hair. The clinical trials for finasteride covered side effects, 10 years and different ages/norwoods, was around 90% successful. dutasteride is like 95% at least.

My surgeon told me to quit finasteride as said my loss is not aggressive and minimal, that he'll fill in the susceptible areas with hair. I rejected this though, can never take a risk and native hair is much better, even if I have tons of thick wavy donor. finasteride does work as I know of people keeping a full head in real life from early use of finasteride and transplants.
why is native hair better? you'd think the back of your head hair is naturally denser.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
So right now it's 5 continued to lose ground and 15 at a minimum stabilized, with the majority of those getting regrowth

So 75% success rate after 1 year. Very positive especially when you take into account the forum is likely to attract people with negative finasteride experiences, this very much falls in line with the clinical data.

Granted it is a small sample size, and 1 year is not that long an amount of time, but still

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JohnsonDDG I'll get back to you in 5 months lol. Right now though my hair loss is the most aggressive it has ever been. I'm close to having a break down, seems like a sick joke at only 22. I'm losing well over 100 hairs in the shower.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So 75% success rate after 1 year. , this very much falls in line with the clinical data.

Finasteride works great for hair if you don't suffer from male pattern baldness.