For Those Who Have Been On Treatment For A Year - Survey

What were your results after a year on Finasteride?

• Continued Aggressive Hair Loss

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Moderate Hair Loss

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Stabalised the Loss but no Regrowth

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Moderate Regrowth (5-10% more density)

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Major Regrowth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been reading a few studies on finasteride users lately and the results are somewhat ambiguous on the numbers and percentage of those who actually experience regrowth vs those who just stabilize.

I know its not perfectly scientific but lets see what the results are like for users of this forum.

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i been on finasteride over a year, and all that happened was i go from norwood 2 to norwood 3, and i now have diffuse thinning

i dont even bother taking pictures to update anymore or to post anymore, its pointless. i give up on life

no point anyway to fight for it. going to be 25 years old soon, a virgin not even held a persons hand lol still living at parents and minumum wage job

When I was 22-23 I got out of my social anxiety shell and started talkign to males, but not females. but by then I started having my hairloss so now i am back to where ia mabefore socially, and I went from looking IMO rated 7, to rated 4-5

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used finasteride for twenty years plus.
It has never stopped my hair loss. I went from NW2 to 5 while on it and minoxidil 5%.

I keep on taking it because I think :
- it may have prevented an even worse loss;
- I have never had bigger sides (even though, the first time your pee pee doesn't work at 100%, you will point your finger to this chemical substance).

So, I smile when I read these stories:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/1jrm90/if_youre_sitting_there_wondering_im_losing_my/

Those for whom finasteride has worked will tell yout it's
THE SOLUTION. _HECK, NO_ :)

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used finasteride for twenty years plus.
It has never stopped my hair loss. I went from NW2 to 5 while on it and minoxidil 5%.

I keep on taking it because I think :
- it may have prevented an even worse loss;
- I have never had bigger sides (even though, the first time your pee pee doesn't work at 100%, you will point your finger to this chemical substance).

So, I smile when I read these stories:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/1jrm90/if_youre_sitting_there_wondering_im_losing_my/

Those for whom finasteride has worked will tell yout it's
THE SOLUTION. _HECK, NO_ :)
Oh man, you're in the 10% who does not respond :(

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I think Im maintaining on finasteride . Been on it January 2017 and I think my hair is holding up. It’s really hard to tell though cause I’m a diffuse thinner so sometimes I worry is it slowly getting worse. My family history is pretty much every male in my family went nw6-7 before 30 so .... I’m considering duta

Been on rogaine for 2 years and it’s never helped me as far as I can tell. I use the foam but I really hate using it.

shookwun

Reaction score
I was a hypocrite to minoxidil, but it has by far exceeded my expectations. Monasteries vaulted and held my hair in a certain skinny state, which is fine! Bit minoxidil beefed my entire scalp and gave me moderate thicker hair.

I am a believer after 7 months

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Im maintaining on finasteride . Been on it January 2017 and I think my hair is holding up. It’s really hard to tell though cause I’m a diffuse thinner so sometimes I worry is it slowly getting worse. My family history is pretty much every male in my family went nw6-7 before 30 so .... I’m considering duta

Been on rogaine for 2 years and it’s never helped me as far as I can tell. I use the foam but I really hate using it.
I used minoxidil and thought it did nothing because I didn't regain my hair.

When I came off it I lost about 10% density in 6 months - so it does help maintain as well.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
On finasteride for 2 and a half years. Hair loss was very minor to begin with but it maintained my hair with some slight thickening.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
On hair transplant forums, people (and of course surgeons) will confidently tell you: "Before a hair transplant, you should take finasteride to stop your hair loss".

Stop your hair loss. Right. Didn't know the cure for hair loss was already there. If only, of course it's better to take it if you can tolerate it, but claiming it stops hair loss without any nuance or evidence is a step too far.

I have no idea if minoxidil is still doing something significant, but I keep using it for the same reason as you with finasteride. Without it, my situation would probably be worse. It has allowed me to sport a very thin crown instead of a completely slick bald crown for many years now. It's not much but we take anything we can get.

Oh man, you're in the 10% who does not respond :(

Apparently the 10% of non responders, or patients for whom the side effects exceeded the benefits, is all in this forum :D

Jokes apart: everyone looks at things with a certain personal perspective and it is just human that everyone thinks he/she is a good sample for a phenomenon they are experiencing.

If finasteride works for you, you will naturally think all the other patients are doing something wrong, or are just too sick, because, hey, you are nailing it as the leaflet says!

I also remember one user here who took pride in revealing minoxidil saved his hair... because, wow, he NEVER MISSED AN APPLICATION :rolleyes:

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride for 16 months and minoxidil for 11 months. I'm probably at my peak of regrowth right now, but I can't complain. 2000-2500 grafts and I'm a NW0 again. Maybe after 2 years on both meds I'll get a transplant.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I used minoxidil and thought it did nothing because I didn't regain my hair.

When I came off it I lost about 10% density in 6 months - so it does help maintain as well.

It really sucks to use though. I only use it once a day now but I hate having to worry about it while traveling. Is my supply gonna run out ? Will someone find it?

Pills are much more low key. Not to mention I hate how my hair looks when I put it in ( my crown looks bald). When I blow dry and combover my crown looks good.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently the 10% of non responders, or patients for whom the side effects exceeded the benefits, is all in this forum :D

Jokes apart: everyone looks at things with a certain personal perspective and it is just human that everyone thinks he/she is a good sample for a phenomenon they are experiencing.

If finasteride works for you, you will naturally think all the other patients are doing something wrong, or are just too sick, because, hey, you are nailing it as the leaflet says!

I also remember one user here who took pride in revealing minoxidil saved his hair... because, wow, he NEVER MISSED AN APPLICATION :rolleyes:
I think because this is the impact section then the majority of people would have been mostly the anomaly ten percenters who's bodies didn't respond well to finasteride.

Its a very bad sample group because of the bias.

I doubt we have many people who beat hair loss and still hang out at the impact of hair loss forum.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
In 6 months, my front to mid-scalp will look fullish enough (NW2.5 hair line though but I like it), but my now my NW6 crown will be decimated. What then? Another FUE? With less than 1000 grafts less, it won't be enough. Beard grafts? Not enough and doesn't have a good track record. Temporary SMP? Expensive for what it is and would only be suitable if I had some hair at the crown.

All I can do is jump on any restorative treatment that comes out in the next few years, if there ever is one.
How many grafts would you need in theory for your crown?

Warlord2.0

My Regimen
Reaction score
From my own experience with minoxidil ,this is what I think:
1- I truly beleive that the recommended dose of 1ml/application is not enough for most men(Now That I use 3 cans every month...I'am pretty satisfied with the results) so it has to be a very conservative/safe dose that does not do too much

2-I have developped a tolerance to the minoxidil while increasing the dose gradually like narcotics or so...I used to have some side effects but I don't have them anymore...like a junky

3-I do not think that the brand of the drug change anything...I use a morrocan brand lol, and they can not even make a cake that tastes good...

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am transitioning from NW3.5 to NW2.75

BUT

I had regrow last months only – before was a dry year with a lot of sheddings.

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Started minoxidil 2 years ago in April, finasteride 2 years in August. My crown has thickened up quite a bit(difficult to see thinning now unless someone is way taller than me or standing above me) but hairline hasn't really moved(nw2.5ish)

Pretty decent results as I can appear a Full head to non Norwood spotters with concealer and styling. Big three has bought me 3 years at the very least

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Potentially seeing results with weekly dermarolling. 1mm with pressure until oidraw blood. Terminal hair growth in 1.5 area but hard to tell - it's early days yet