For Those Who Do A Full Head Bond...

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you do this? More secure? How is the clean up? Why not just do a perimeter bond?

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to. Because I felt it was more secure that perimeter bond with tape. This turned out to not only be false but the clean up was horrible.

Noah

Reaction score
It probably gives the feeling closest to having your natural hair back, but as Chromey says, the clean-up is a pain if you wear lace. Most skin units are worn with a full glue bond, because any unglued parts of the base create a "plastic bag" noise if you (or anyone else) touches them.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like Noah says, with skin systems it's always a full bond. And it feels awesome :)

A full bond means that the system hugs your scalp all the way round and there is no rustle or itching or movement or loose feeling. It really does feel like your own hair. The clean-up is also very easy with skin systems.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Because tapes do not have ingredients listed on them and liquid adhesives do. I care about what chemicals my whole scalp is in contact with 24/7 the next 50 years. Lately I've started using tape though on top of glue on some spots where I usually get lifting. Gives a very strong hold and thus reduces the time I have to spend on my hair system in general (by maybe 10-20 mins less per month) because of less touch-ups between reattachments.. That way the tape is not in contact with my skin -- 4 layers of liquid adhesives are in between.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just made the switch to UTS and do a full head bond. It has genuinely changed everything. Prior to this change, I was struggling with lifting and bonding issues. I hated the denser skin base that comprised half of my old system - it felt so heavy and thick. Now, I genuinely think this feels just like it's my hair. I can even pull on it and it looks like I'm pulling the hair from my head. The full head bond is a massive psychological boost in that it provides a huge sense of realism. If you get the perimeter right, it's completely undetectable to the touch as well - anyone who wanted to find the lip of the base would have to know exactly where to look and be willing to pick at it with their fingernails! When I got home from the salon for the first time, the stylist hadn't glued the sides down properly so I had to fix it. Once I had, finding the edge of the base was genuinely like those moments where you can't find the end of the cellotape.

Noah

Reaction score
@jimlad

Great to hear, Jim. Undetectability to touch, especially in a relationship context, is an issue which concerns a lot of guys, so if you have any tips to offer I think they would be well received.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I've started leaving the perimeter of the system until last. It's really effective. So I still line up the system as I normally would, with the front hairline marked with a drywipe marker on my skin. I glue the system and my head all the way to the back, but I leave the front hairline clear, as well as most of the side perimeter (apart from a small bit towards the back).

After the central part is glued, I work individually on the sides first. I pin them up and apply the glue, again to the scalp and the system. Once these are down, I do the final inch or so from the hairline.

There may be some on here who think that this is slightly arduous, but for me it is beneficial in 3 ways:

1) It guarantees that the perimeter is sealed and is seamless to the touch
2) It allows you to line if your perimeter a lot easier, so you don't end up either going over a bit of bio-hair or leaving a gap
3) As a result of the first two, the bond is the strongest I've ever got it. So whilst this may be a longer process, you save time on touch ups.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
It probably gives the feeling closest to having your natural hair back, but as Chromey says, the clean-up is a pain if you wear lace. Most skin units are worn with a full glue bond, because any unglued parts of the base create a "plastic bag" noise if you (or anyone else) touches them.

I couldn't imagine getting glue off a UTS system w/ the tools I have: rubbing alcohol, soap, shampoo, conditioner, oils. It was SO hard to remove from my thicker poly.

Like Noah says, with skin systems it's always a full bond. And it feels awesome :)

A full bond means that the system hugs your scalp all the way round and there is no rustle or itching or movement or loose feeling. It really does feel like your own hair. The clean-up is also very easy with skin systems.

What's your cleanup technique?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just made the switch to UTS and do a full head bond. It has genuinely changed everything. Prior to this change, I was struggling with lifting and bonding issues. I hated the denser skin base that comprised half of my old system - it felt so heavy and thick. Now, I genuinely think this feels just like it's my hair. I can even pull on it and it looks like I'm pulling the hair from my head. The full head bond is a massive psychological boost in that it provides a huge sense of realism. If you get the perimeter right, it's completely undetectable to the touch as well - anyone who wanted to find the lip of the base would have to know exactly where to look and be willing to pick at it with their fingernails! When I got home from the salon for the first time, the stylist hadn't glued the sides down properly so I had to fix it. Once I had, finding the edge of the base was genuinely like those moments where you can't find the end of the cellotape.

I've worn thicker poly and found it unbearable. Even a thick Poly perimeter is suffocating compare to lace.

Do you really find UTS to not be overly hot?

Also do you use White Glue or Clear Acrylic?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine getting glue off a UTS system w/ the tools I have: rubbing alcohol, soap, shampoo, conditioner, oils. It was SO hard to remove from my thicker poly.

What's your cleanup technique?

I don't know how a poly is different to UTS but I imagine it's just thicker and less flexible to the feel. I can't understand why glue would be so hard to get off a poly base though.

My UTS clean-up technique is very straightforward. I don't use anything apart from dishwashing liquid.

It all starts from when I put the system on: I typically only apply a single layer of (white) glue on my scalp. This is of course after shaving it and then washing it with the dishwashing liquid. If it's going to be a hot week I will use a sweat blocker first. Else it's straight on with just the one layer of glue.

This gives me a good hold for 7 days on average. Sometimes less sometimes more. I like to do regular clean-ups and refits because it feels better for me. I touch up the hairline every 3rd day on average. I never keep a system on for longer than say 10 days in one go.

So getting to the clean-up part: using only a single layer of glue simplifies this task quite a lot. After 7 days or so the system comes off easily and nearly of the glue remains on my scalp. It's easy to scrape it off and wash the scalp (with dishwashing liquid) to remove the glue. Any bits of glue remaining on the UTS will simply roll off with my fingers, or stick to a tissue if I dab it on the base.

I sometimes wash the UTS base with the same dishwashing liquid, but not often because I don't want to dry out the v-loops, which might cause the hairs to break.

So all in all, I tend to keep things as simple as possible.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know how a poly is different to UTS but I imagine it's just thicker and less flexible to the feel. I can't understand why glue would be so hard to get off a poly base though.

My UTS clean-up technique is very straightforward. I don't use anything apart from dishwashing liquid.

It all starts from when I put the system on: I typically only apply a single layer of (white) glue on my scalp. This is of course after shaving it and then washing it with the dishwashing liquid. If it's going to be a hot week I will use a sweat blocker first. Else it's straight on with just the one layer of glue.

This gives me a good hold for 7 days on average. Sometimes less sometimes more. I like to do regular clean-ups and refits because it feels better for me. I touch up the hairline every 3rd day on average. I never keep a system on for longer than say 10 days in one go.

So getting to the clean-up part: using only a single layer of glue simplifies this task quite a lot. After 7 days or so the system comes off easily and nearly of the glue remains on my scalp. It's easy to scrape it off and wash the scalp (with dishwashing liquid) to remove the glue. Any bits of glue remaining on the UTS will simply roll off with my fingers, or stick to a tissue if I dab it on the base.

I sometimes wash the UTS base with the same dishwashing liquid, but not often because I don't want to dry out the v-loops, which might cause the hairs to break.

Thank you for the extraordinarily detailed response. I want to try UTS now - sounds really quite easy.

I was wondering if UTS is like thicker poly in that the piece clings to your head.

Also how are v-looped hairs integrated into UTS? The hairs don't completely penetrate through the system, do they? Does putting hair conditioner on the topside, the hairside, of the UTS loosen the hairs from the base?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the extraordinarily detailed response. I want to try UTS now - sounds really quite easy.

I was wondering if UTS is like thicker poly in that the piece clings to your head.

Also how are v-looped hairs integrated into UTS? The hairs don't completely penetrate through the system, do they? Does putting hair conditioner on the topside, the hairside, of the UTS loosen the hairs from the base?

LOL if anything I do tend to go into too much detail. I blame my English school teacher for that :D

Not sure what you mean about poly clinging to the scalp. UTS, fully bonded, is as close to real hair you will get: it completely hugs the scalp over over (if glued properly) and you cannot feel the edge.

I have never tried a lace system but I have been told that lace (front) hairlines are more undetectable.

V-looped hair is basically one long hair that goes through the system and back up, so as to make it look like 2 hairs. This doesn't seem to make the base permeable i.e. the UTS is not breathable (even though some suppliers say it is). Washing the hair when attached to my head does not allow water to get through to my scalp. So conditioner will not loosen the hair.

I think it's worth a try. You've tried poly and my feeling is that it can only get better if you change to UTS. Lace might be worth a try too, but personally I avoid it because of the harder clean-up... ease of maintenance is top priority to me!

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score

Poly is to UTS what Morris Miner is to Ferrari. It's just no competition. I ordered a 'skin' system with a lace front, and felt like I'd been shafted! The skin is so thick compared to UTS. When it's off the head, the material feels like a deflated rubber ball! Super sweaty and really, really hot!

I have major sweat issues, and it can affect the front of the UTS, so I have to plan carefully around exercise. But the general bond holds tightly.

Clean up is super easy for me. Just spray alcohol and leave for a while. The stuff just peels off. It's a bit more of a danger-job with the UTS thought as the material rips so easily. My current system still looks great, but it's patched up with tape due to all the tears! Still, lessons learnt, and I'm confident I can avoid it on the next one.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manny007 The distinction being made is Thick Poly vs Thin .03 Poly (UTS).

@jimlad @deg_dilemma Thank you for your responses.

DEG I don't mind the details - I love them!

I just got a new French lace and am already worried. I _HATE_ when hairs get sucked thru the base, leading to knotting & matting.

I also feel skin will better for me for a variety of reasons.

Now I'm wondering if UTS suctions to the head. I know of course if you apply adhesive & attach the unit well, it will cling to head beautifully.

But my question is, is does a UTS unit already have a tendency to cling. For example, my thick poly perimeter lace pieces, and my sole all-poly (not sure how thick but not UTS) can basically be worn without adhesive, like a hat. And like a hat, they can be pulled off easily, but they don't just fall off every move you make.

Does UTS provide that suction? If so I could so easily see getting away with quick and easy Got2B bonds.

Last Q: Can V-loops be loosened out of the system, the way, knots slide out of lace? - or can V-loops only snap off?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can confirm that UTS doesn't cling to the scalp on its own. You need to apply adhesive or some people even use G2B hair gel for a lighter, daily hold (didn't work well for me though).

On its own the UTS will sit on your head but it won't cling, so the slightest pull will take it off. I guess even shaking your head could throw it off. UTS is very light so there isn't any weight that helps it stay on, without adhesive.

V-loops cannot be loosened. They appear to be machine-pressed into the UTS. It is a weak-point in my view, but I often take a pair of nail-scissors to the UTS and cut away at the hairline to make it more to my liking. I cut the base off to remove the whole hair/root.

My hair is black so the v-loops are quite obvious when the hair breaks off. On my next UTS I will be getting light hair at the front and then dye the hair black, leaving the v-loop root a light colour so that it doesn't show up so much.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because tapes do not have ingredients listed on them and liquid adhesives do. I care about what chemicals my whole scalp is in contact with 24/7 the next 50 years. Lately I've started using tape though on top of glue on some spots where I usually get lifting. Gives a very strong hold and thus reduces the time I have to spend on my hair system in general (by maybe 10-20 mins less per month) because of less touch-ups between reattachments.. That way the tape is not in contact with my skin -- 4 layers of liquid adhesives are in between.
What tape are you using for the combo method?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
What tape are you using for the combo method?
Pro-Flex Blue Mini Tab Tape Strips. I think it was just an accident that I picked those. There probably are even stronger ones. Walker's similar product is probably stronger?