For Those That Made The Jump, Do You Think It's Time For Me?

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 28. I had mildly receded temples for couple years, then last October I started aggressively shedding. The front of my hairline is finally starting to go. My hair is bad enough that I can no longer get it cut to look presentable in public. I have very curly hair and there just isn't a realistic way I can can do it everyday and avoid looking like a homeless person.

I've tried many things and oddly enough I am having some regrowth, but the areas that aren't regrowing are getting worse quick. The top is the worst, but my whole head is shedding. It's bad enough now that I can no longer stand to go in public. If I have to I usually have a panic attack. It's taken a massive mental tol.

I have always wanted straight hair. And I never liked my forehead, so a full head piece seems very appealing to me. I can choose how big I want my forehead, and I can have my hair straight every day (a dream of mine for a long time). Also I don't think the maintenance would be a big deal, as before I started shedding I drove over an hour to get my hair cut, and straightening and doing my hair took about 2-3 hours to do. So I'm assuming a hair piece would be less maintanence.

I look best with short to medium length hair with bangs. I am terrified though as all my family and friends mad me feel like I'd be terrible and ugly with fake hair.

It's terrifying deciding to make the jump... to give up on your real hair and admit defeat. Can anyone share what it was like for you to finally make the jump?

Noah

Reaction score
Hair replacement can certainly work for you, and if you are starting to get panic attacks abut appearing in public because of your hairloss then you should certainly investigate it. I can understand the appeal of scrapping the natural hair which has caused you grief and starting with a full head of prosthetic hair, but it is unlikely to be the best solution in terms of appearance and flexibility. It is nearly always better to supplement the viable hair you have left with a partial replacement. A full headpiece is a last resort for those with no viable natural hair. I can elaborate further if you want.

Partly for that reason, I think most guys don't make the leap you are describing, to a brand new head of hair. They discreetly supplement what they have, so that the public impact is kept to a minimum, and there is no gut-wrenching admission of "defeat". If your hairloss is bothering you, "defeat" is doing nothing and just suffering mutely. Hair replacement is a positive step, by which you take control of your look in a very practical way.

Incidentally, far from looking ugly, you may find the prosthetic hair looks better than your natural hair ever did. That was the case for me.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair replacement can certainly work for you, and if you are starting to get panic attacks abut appearing in public because of your hairloss then you should certainly investigate it. I can understand the appeal of scrapping the natural hair which has caused you grief and starting with a full head of prosthetic hair, but it is unlikely to be the best solution in terms of appearance and flexibility. It is nearly always better to supplement the viable hair you have left with a partial replacement. A full headpiece is a last resort for those with no viable natural hair. I can elaborate further if you want.

Partly for that reason, I think most guys don't make the leap you are describing, to a brand new head of hair. They discreetly supplement what they have, so that the public impact is kept to a minimum, and there is no gut-wrenching admission of "defeat". If your hairloss is bothering you, "defeat" is doing nothing and just suffering mutely. Hair replacement is a positive step, by which you take control of your look in a very practical way.

Incidentally, far from looking ugly, you may find the prosthetic hair looks better than your natural hair ever did. That was the case for me.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of just having a parcial peice. If I were only losing my front that would be a great solution. Would probably look better than my original hair. But my whole head is going, and I have random thin patches th right my head. I feel if I did only the front I would still look weird, with patches of hair missing. I slowly trying to come to terms that my life is over. Im too scared to take propecia because of the side effects. Mainly the ones that make your face look older.

Noah

Reaction score
It's hard to comment on these things in the abstract. If you want an objective assessment PM me a picture and I'll give you my view. Obviously total confidentiality. Blank out your facial features if you like, but leave your eyebrows on.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to comment on these things in the abstract. If you want an objective assessment PM me a picture and I'll give you my view. Obviously total confidentiality. Blank out your facial features if you like, but leave your eyebrows on.
I'm not sure how to pm. You would have to pm me first.

AngelCopete

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should try the pieces, u have nothing to loose, if u dont like it or find it hard to used to it, just throw it away and will return to the actual point, and you will only loose a few hundred bucks at the most

By ur information i think that a piece can go with ur lifestyle

By the way, I also hate the shape of my forehead, and that’s one of the reasons why i’m wearing a piece

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should try the pieces, u have nothing to loose, if u dont like it or find it hard to used to it, just throw it away and will return to the actual point, and you will only loose a few hundred bucks at the most

By the way, I also hate the shape of my forehead, and that’s one of the reasons why i’m wearing a piece

Yea, I love the idea of straight hair all the time. Even if I just shave the top and get a piece that covers that. It would be cool to go from crappy curly hair, to straight and layered with a perfectly shaped forehead.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

I disagree, completely. Of course, you have something to lose! Especially if you shave your head to put on the system, and it looks like sh*t. Then, you now have a shaved N6/N7. And you wasted time and money. What, he wears a hat until it grows back, or until the custom system is ready?

OnTheQuestForHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am terrified though as all my family and friends mad me feel like I'd be terrible and ugly with fake hair.

I also have curly hair, and it was and still is my dream to one day have straight hair, and long as heck too.

I'm just going to ask you this : What is more important to you? Having friends and family around you that dictate to you how you should look, especially with something that is causing you distress, and living your life the way they want you to live it or would you rather make yourself happier and walk your own path?

It's hairloss, it happens, it's "normal" given how common it is. Some people will tell you "Shave it bro", some people that are already bald will tell you the honest truth about how they're treated. Some people will say BALD IS BEAUTIFUL.
What they don't get is that all this matters absolutely nothing. What matters is what YOU think.
If you want hair, you can get it and you can have a very natural hair system. Or you could go for a hairstyle straight out of Dragonball Z.

Don't live your life according to what others tell you, fashion changes every year, boob jobs used to be stigmatised but today girl friends go together to get them done. Like, wtf, stop caring what others think if you truly feel hair will make you happy. Otherwise you'll grow old, look back and realise you lived a miserable life because a handful of people controlled you.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also have curly hair, and it was and still is my dream to one day have straight hair, and long as heck too.

I'm just going to ask you this : What is more important to you? Having friends and family around you that dictate to you how you should look, especially with something that is causing you distress, and living your life the way they want you to live it or would you rather make yourself happier and walk your own path?

It's hairloss, it happens, it's "normal" given how common it is. Some people will tell you "Shave it bro", some people that are already bald will tell you the honest truth about how they're treated. Some people will say BALD IS BEAUTIFUL.
What they don't get is that all this matters absolutely nothing. What matters is what YOU think.
If you want hair, you can get it and you can have a very natural hair system. Or you could go for a hairstyle straight out of Dragonball Z.

Don't live your life according to what others tell you, fashion changes every year, boob jobs used to be stigmatised but today girl friends go together to get them done. Like, wtf, stop caring what others think if you truly feel hair will make you happy. Otherwise you'll grow old, look back and realise you lived a miserable life because a handful of people controlled you.

Yea, makes sense. My mid to late 20s were erased cause of hairloss. I spent the last two years in a room hiding cause I'm so ashamed of how I look.

My other fear is that I have DUPA. I though I might have retrograde alopecia, but I went and got a biopsy and it came back normal with no male pattern baldness. I'm like wtf, then why does my hair look like an 93 year old woman's.

Well anyway, because of this I don't think I could get a parcial piece. I'd have to shave the whole thing and get a full piece. Which is a big scary jump.

OnTheQuestForHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, makes sense. My mid to late 20s were erased cause of hairloss. I spent the last two years in a room hiding cause I'm so ashamed of how I look.

My other fear is that I have DUPA. I though I might have retrograde alopecia, but I went and got a biopsy and it came back normal with no male pattern baldness. I'm like wtf, then why does my hair look like an 93 year old woman's.

Well anyway, because of this I don't think I could get a parcial piece. I'd have to shave the whole thing and get a full piece. Which is a big scary jump.

When done right full caps are great, but I think you might have to get some length to hide the perimeter, but I don't know I have no experience with them. Where I work part time, there are two male identical twins that were born with very thin hair, so they got themselves a full cap each, and it looks good, but they have one with decent length so you can't really tell where the perimeter is. But the hairline is undetectable, in fact they both brush back and it looks just fine. I've been working there for 2 years, and I've been balding for half a year. I never thought of them as lesser beings, and now that I'm balding myself I see them as heroes that could care less what people tell them about what happens to their hair.

I know they wear one because I once caught one of them in the toilet checking the hairline and pushing it down with his fingers.
He noticed and I didn't say anything because I don't know if he is comfortable talking to me about it and he's above my manager, so I'd rather not bother him.

I think if you're going for a full cap, you're already doing a big jump, so do it how you want to do it and don't look back.