Football/soccer

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
What I cant stand is the pure ignorance of Americans who compare American Football to Soccer - even though the correct comparison should be American Football to Rugby. Rugby is more physical and you dont get to wear sissy "protection". Before calling Soccer a sissy game, have at look at a good British Rugby game.............

While it's true that American football is a much more exciting game than soccer (just look at those extra elements we have that don't even exist in soccer, like passing and tackling and running the ball, different ways to score, "playing the clock" and other strategies, etc.), there's also such a thing as being completely FOOLHARDY about the way you play these games. Not having any of that "sissy protection" (as you call it) at all would certainly come under that category. If rugby really is as violent as our football, there would definitely be the threat of serious bodily harm. Don't be too glib by bragging about the total absence of protective gear in rugby players; that simply strikes me as INSANITY, not machismo.

Britannia

Reaction score
Cassin said:
American football is far more violent than rugby... can't compare it. Different game

Surely this is a joke?

Britannia

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Don't be too glib by bragging about the total absence of protective gear in rugby players; that simply strikes me as INSANITY, not machismo.

Bryan Rugby is insane. Broken bones and serious lacerations are common place, even horrific and sometimes fatal neck fractures. Ive personally known people lose eyes in "accidental" gougings and people left paralysed for life. Have a read for yourself, a few years ago our local air ambulance charity revealed 10% of all missions it had flown had been rugby related. Have a read yourselves:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rum_injury

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -firm.html

Cassin seriously American Football may be a faster game and more athletic than rugby but violent? It doesnt come close!

Cassin

Reaction score
Nope...I have seen plenty of both and have my opinion based on viewing experience. There is a reason they need the pads...if they played american football without pads it would be far more horrendous than your rugby match.

I have seen a lot of Rugby...I like the sport...but it doesn't compare to American Football. Sure you can post a few youtube links here & there but I have seen many many many games.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Bryan said:
Don't be too glib by bragging about the total absence of protective gear in rugby players; that simply strikes me as INSANITY, not machismo.

Bryan Rugby is insane. Broken bones and serious lacerations are common place, even horrific and sometimes fatal neck fractures. Ive personally known people lose eyes in "accidental" gougings and people left paralysed for life. Have a read for yourself, a few years ago our local air ambulance charity revealed 10% of all missions it had flown had been rugby related.

Okay, I believe you. But that just supports what I said before: it's INSANE to play a dangerous sport without protective equipment. We Americans have enough common sense to require plenty of it for football.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Britannia said:
What I cant stand is the pure ignorance of Americans who compare American Football to Soccer - even though the correct comparison should be American Football to Rugby.
I agree.

I know this is going to sound crazy to the Brits here, and as bizarre as this may sound, a better comparison would be between soccer/footie and ice hockey. Ice hockey is the EXACT same game, same rules, same positioning, some of the same nature of play, but on skates.

I'm a big fan of both soccer/footie and ice hockey. Of course ice hockey is a much faster sport which creates some different dynamics, but I've seen the EXACT same setpiece plays used in both. And both are a great combination of some more team oriented, setpiece plays after breaks in the action, and artistry, vision, and creativity at the individual level.

Britannia

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Britannia said:
What I cant stand is the pure ignorance of Americans who compare American Football to Soccer - even though the correct comparison should be American Football to Rugby.
I agree.

I know this is going to sound crazy to the Brits here, and as bizarre as this may sound, a better comparison would be between soccer/footie and ice hockey. Ice hockey is the EXACT same game, same rules, same positioning, some of the same nature of play, but on skates.

I'm a big fan of both soccer/footie and ice hockey. Of course ice hockey is a much faster sport which creates some different dynamics, but I've seen the EXACT same setpiece plays used in both. And both are a great combination of some more team oriented, setpiece plays after breaks in the action, and artistry, vision, and creativity at the individual level.

Gardener!! Long time no speak mate! Have you ever seen indoor football? Ice Hockey and Indoor Soccer are so similar its uncanny!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
there's a reason why nobody plays that NFL sh*t outside of America.

And that would be....?

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

And that would be....?

Same reason AFL isn't played outside of Australia: it's bollocks.

No real skill is required, there's no grace, no class.... just a bunch of beefcakes bumping into each other for an hour or so.

HughJass

Reaction score
Cassin said:
aussieavodart said:
NFL games are doinh pretty well in Britain now.......

It'll never happen.

Baseball was brought over here some years and back died in the arse, now even the national basketball league is on it's last legs.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
No real skill is required, there's no grace, no class.... just a bunch of beefcakes bumping into each other for an hour or so.

LOL!! Okay, thanks for enlightening me on that. I didn't know there was no real skill or grace or class involved in football! :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
Britannia said:
Gardener!! Long time no speak mate! Have you ever seen indoor football? Ice Hockey and Indoor Soccer are so similar its uncanny!
Britannia... hope all is well my brotha. Good to see you pop your head in here!

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan LMAO, you just said "American football is more exciting than Soccer. Dude, IN YOUR OPINION LOL. WTF are you talking about more elements? LOLOL.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Never played or watched rugby live but all I can say is Bad ***!!
[youtube:3pilvedd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8gm7_7vGY&feature=fvw[/youtube:3pilvedd]

HughJass

Reaction score
Fender89 said:
Bryan LMAO, you just said "American football is more exciting than Soccer. Dude, IN YOUR OPINION LOL.

No its' definitely a fact.

Like how red is a much better colour than purple. Everybody knows that.

SmileBam

Reaction score
I think this thread is about FOOTBALL,not american football.You know,that sport that is played using your legs and a ball. :) There aren't many football fans here...well,at least don't make comparations between american football and football...u can't compare a Renault with an BMW...or maybe with a Rolls Royce. :hump: